Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Elder User

cutlass has a good reputation on FTE.cutlass has a good reputation on FTE.
Oil temp. sensor location?

I'm in the process of adding an oil temp. gauge and I'm wanting to know where everyone is mounting the sensor who has one. I'm assuming somewhere on the HPOP reservoir. I appreciate any input anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Drake
Drake- E99 F350 7.3, 4x2, SRW, CCLB Mods: Ford Reman engine, 38R & blank pedestal, bellowed up-pipes, OCR, Welded oil jets, plenum inserts, T-500, 238/100's, F5 DP Tuner, Fire Rings, ARP Head Studs, 910's w/shims, Melling LPOP, Fluidampr, ITP Reg Return, Fuel Bowl Delete, Post Pump Fuel Filter, & Banjo Bolts, Air Dog, Hutch Mod, HPX, AFE Stg 2, 4" MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, coolant filter, EV2's, Stancor Relay, CCV
Old 11-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
The factory oil temp sender is in the HPOP reservoir. You can mount it there, or you can mount it in the oil filter housing if those plugs are available.

There is a plug normally where I have this hose mounted. That is an oil pressure port.

Click the image to open in full size.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
aka Redneck Wrencher

mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.mueckster has a spectacular reputation.
Roland Mueck
Here's a good thread on the subject. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-location.html
'01 F-250 Lariat CC SB 4x4, DP Tuner F6 (live tuned), AFE II w/ Pete's Cover, GTP38R w/ RR billet whl & cross drilled 1.0, 6.0 Techni-cooler, Full Force SS Injectors, Stealth HPOP, Fluidampr, Melling M-208, Walbro FP, mueckster Reg Return & Bowl delete, Comp Cams 910's, mueckster 4R100, 4" SS MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Truetrac rear
Old 11-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The factory oil temp sender is in the HPOP reservoir. You can mount it there, or you can mount it in the oil filter housing if those plugs are available.

There is a plug normally where I have this hose mounted. That is an oil pressure port.

Click the image to open in full size.

Is the temp. reading going to be the same if I placed the sensor in the HPOP reservoir vs. the oil filter housing? Maybe I should ask if one location better than the other for any reason?
Drake- E99 F350 7.3, 4x2, SRW, CCLB Mods: Ford Reman engine, 38R & blank pedestal, bellowed up-pipes, OCR, Welded oil jets, plenum inserts, T-500, 238/100's, F5 DP Tuner, Fire Rings, ARP Head Studs, 910's w/shims, Melling LPOP, Fluidampr, ITP Reg Return, Fuel Bowl Delete, Post Pump Fuel Filter, & Banjo Bolts, Air Dog, Hutch Mod, HPX, AFE Stg 2, 4" MBRP, 6.0 Trans Cooler, coolant filter, EV2's, Stancor Relay, CCV
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
They will be a little different. It really doesn't matter that much as long as you compare similar temperatures. The factory chose the HPOP reservoir, I use their sensor along with my Aeroforce Scan Gauge to read the temps. I try to keep my oil temp under 200*. The oil temp will be pretty consistent since the coolant is what is used to cool it.

I also take my oil pressure off of the HPOP reservoir. This allows me to see if the HPOP is ever starving for oil. My pressures may be lower than off of the block, but it doesn't matter since I know it could be lower there.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Elder User

Thanks for your input everyone! I decided to use the oil filter base location for my sensor.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1980, 2002, 4x4, 73, 73l, 96, engine, f250, f350, gauge, location, oil, se, sensor, temp, temperature