6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Talking about the 6.7 with my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking about the 6.7 with my dealer

I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They are a large truck dealer that services Cummins, and Detroit Diesel also. I am considering doing some suspension upgrades and possibly a DPF delete and I just decided to call and ask him how they felt about warranty repairs on modified trucks. The service manager told me that they will not void my warranty on the basis of modifications only, however, he said that Ford is getting strict on these types of things and they will send out field inspectors for random repairs who will deny warranty without question. He said that he would recomend going back to stock for repairs, but as we know that doesn't guarantee anything since Ford can trace this. He said that his dealership does not even have the equipment to check.

He said the 6.7 has been very reliable and they have only had two major repairs. One was a leaking water pump and the other was a much discussed around here HPFP. He said the owner had a Titan tank installed and it was leaking water from the top. It seems like Titan tanks are the common denominator in several of these HPFP failures.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
did ricatic have a titan tank??

Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
did ricatic have a titan tank??
Yes he did.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I was under the impression all a dealer needs is IDS.
The truck modules will throw a specific code if modifications are detected.
When the code is researched in IDS, it instructs the tech to contact Ford and they'll inform the tech the truck has been modifed per the code.
Cheezit or Vloney would be able to confirm.
I read this here somewhere.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GCLL
Yes he did.
Seems like maybe Titan should have been handed the bill.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They are a large truck dealer that services Cummins, and Detroit Diesel also. I am considering doing some suspension upgrades and possibly a DPF delete and I just decided to call and ask him how they felt about warranty repairs on modified trucks. The service manager told me that they will not void my warranty on the basis of modifications only, however, he said that Ford is getting strict on these types of things and they will send out field inspectors for random repairs who will deny warranty without question. He said that he would recomend going back to stock for repairs, but as we know that doesn't guarantee anything since Ford can trace this. He said that his dealership does not even have the equipment to check.

He said the 6.7 has been very reliable and they have only had two major repairs. One was a leaking water pump and the other was a much discussed around here HPFP. He said the owner had a Titan tank installed and it was leaking water from the top. It seems like Titan tanks are the common denominator in several of these HPFP failures.

I just got done reading on anther forum about a guy with a HPFP failure and he too had a Titan tank.Ford denied his warrantie...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
If there is one thing I've learned....don't mess with the fuel system at all.

For me, this means no bigger fuel tank.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:31 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Glad I have a 37 gallon long bed

Old 11-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Way to rub it in.....

jerk

Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 PM
GCLL
Senior User
At least you don't have to park in another zip code just to go in most places. That extra 18" makes daily driving a pita.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 PM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Handicap Parking makes mine easier to park in some places harder in others.

Side note on my three Dodge trucks 03, 04.5, and the 05. the 36 gallon tank could have a mod done to relocate the Fuel Vent line to the Top most portion of the tank. The tank was designed and built with three steps in the plastic tank. Once modified the tank capacity was increased by 5 Gallons. Cost of the mod was about $35 for a kit.
1. 3' of 3/4 fuel line
2. 2 Hose clamps
3. A new plastic 3/4" bulkhead fitting.
Run the tank almost empty, Drop the tank, Remove the in tank pump, drill and install the fitting, Replace vent line, reinstall the pump and tank and you were done. avarage 600 to 700 miles between fill ups; sweet!

Sure glad that there is a common thing that ties the HPFP failures together. I was not planning to install a titan tank any how. I am back to driving my truck worry free

Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by goatram
Handicap Parking makes mine easier to park in some places harder in others.

Side note on my three Dodge trucks 03, 04.5, and the 05. the 36 gallon tank could have a mod done to relocate the Fuel Vent line to the Top most portion of the tank. The tank was designed and built with three steps in the plastic tank. Once modified the tank capacity was increased by 5 Gallons. Cost of the mod was about $35 for a kit.
1. 3' of 3/4 fuel line
2. 2 Hose clamps
3. A new plastic 3/4" bulkhead fitting.
Run the tank almost empty, Drop the tank, Remove the in tank pump, drill and install the fitting, Replace vent line, reinstall the pump and tank and you were done. avarage 600 to 700 miles between fill ups; sweet!

Sure glad that there is a common thing that ties the HPFP failures together. I was not planning to install a titan tank any how. I am back to driving my truck worry free
ok...enough already...the Titan tank if installed per Titan instructions does not infiltrate water...geez...more whistling past the cemetery. There was one instance of a Titan tank that Ford rightfully used to escape a warranty claim. When the tank was removed, it was immediately obvious that the sending unit was improperly reinstalled and there was a visual gap in the sealing surface. They also found a significant quantity of water in the fuel tank. Titan has exacting instructions on how to re-install the fuel sending unit and provides a much sturdier clamping plate than the OEM clamping ring. They also specify a specific torque value for the clamping studs.

Let me repeat for the umpteenth time, obviously the whistlers have forgotten, both Ford dealers knew my truck had a Titan fuel tank. The Field Service Engineer who finally looked at the truck knew it had a Titan fuel tank. Not one single word was ever spoken about the Titan fuel tank being the culpable party in my HPFP failure. Why, because the large fuel sample obtained by the second dealer had zero water in it. Yes, I wrote "zero" water in it. When the tank was drained by the second dealer, there was no water in the tank...hmmm...I wonder where that water the first dealer "claims" to have found in my fuel separator came from. Seeing that water is heavier than diesel fuel and water would be found at the bottom of the tank and the fact that the fuel intake does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank sump, it is an interesting question.

An autopsy on my HPFP has been performed by 3 automotive engineers, 5 highly experienced diesel engine techs and more than a few general mechanics. For the record, one of the engineers is a fuel systems trouble shooter for Detroit Diesel. His specialty, Bosch HPFP injection systems. He travels all over the world trouble shooting for DD.. The unanimous verdict on my HPFP failure is "it broke, no sign of any water infiltration but the pump seized due to lack of fuel lubricity". The Detroit Diesel engineer's comments on fuel quality in the United States was enlightening. In his learned opinion, based on seeing hundreds of Bosch HPFP failures in all manners and sizes of equipment, lubricity enhancing fuel additives must be used to attempt to offset the pump killing poor fuel available in the USA.

So...the only common denominator in this discussion is Ford's use of a marginal quality HPFP in the design of their otherwise home run of an engine. Too bad...if they would own up to the issue as GM apparently has and fixed the truck, they would have kept two loyal customers. Shame on Ford

I now return you to your regular programming...Kumbaya...

Regards

Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
That extra 18" makes daily driving a pita.
That's what she said!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist....

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM
KenLaffin
Senior User
Well said!!
Rickatic.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
ricatic, I think all of us are just trying to get to the root of a possible, issue. seriously the number of trucks running around with titan tanks have to be very very small. it also sounds like of the handful of failures reported on the internet ALL of them had titan tanks. while still inconclusive I think its getting to the point where you have to look at that being a problem.

rickatic, the first dealer found water the second did not, maybe the view from the powers that be is that the first dealer drained all the water before the second dealer got a chance to see for themselves. I always wanted to say that.

Quick Reply: Talking about the 6.7 with my dealer