1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Truck's going under the knife

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by garbz2
Convert to GM hydro boost used on one ton 3500's as the diesel will have low vacuum to run a power booster. Much more compact and should fit in the stock location with an aluminum adapter for the three bolt GM unit to the four bolt firewall. It will have the same master cyl bolt pattern as a ford master and runs off the power steering pump.

Garbz
The engine has a good vacuum pump, so no worries there. The stock small booster fits just fine, if I had a big booster I'd be looking for some space but there is tons of room with this one.
I have a Suburban with the 6.2 and hydroboost, it's ok but it leaks. I also don't like that one system effects the other, if you're on the brakes and turn the wheel, there is a noticeable difference in brake assistance and steering effort.

I'm not too worried about the frame cracking, I converted this truck to power steering four years ago and only put 7500 miles on it so far. The frame looks nice and crack-free around the box.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good rubber mat for a manual truck? Mine was full of holes so I just cut it to get the tunnel cover off. I know there are quite a few to choose from, but since I can't put my hands on the ones online I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
can't help on the mat question, but here's a free bump.

Also, has it made smoke yet?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Just about there. I modified an 80s throttle pedal to fit the firewall of the truck, and yesterday I got the clutch master cylinder mount holes drilled. The transmission crossmember is built, just need to drill the frame to mount it. Almost there-

Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Had it running today. I had to pull the fan off the 7.3 as it interfered with the upper radiator hose, but I managed to drop it and damaged the radiator. I didn't find the damage until I started pouring in the coolant, but I was able to recover all of it and pull the radiator for repair. I had to move the truck so I started and moved it out of the garage.
It's wild just how much power this thing has now, rev the engine a little and the whole truck rocks all over the place. It moved a bit with the 360 before, but nothing like it does now. The clutch engages a little lower than I'd like, and is really an on-off type thing, but it works and moves under it's own power and I should be able to drive it home tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Had it running today. I had to pull the fan off the 7.3 as it interfered with the upper radiator hose, but I managed to drop it and damaged the radiator. I didn't find the damage until I started pouring in the coolant, but I was able to recover all of it and pull the radiator for repair. I had to move the truck so I started and moved it out of the garage.
It's wild just how much power this thing has now, rev the engine a little and the whole truck rocks all over the place. It moved a bit with the 360 before, but nothing like it does now. The clutch engages a little lower than I'd like, and is really an on-off type thing, but it works and moves under it's own power and I should be able to drive it home tomorrow.
And you are still on time.

John

Old 12-29-2011, 08:10 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Something has to go very wrong very soon- This whole thing is just dropping together. Even the speedometer cable end fits right in the hole on the ZF.
I'm having to get a little creative with the throttle pedal and clutch master cylinder, but nothing too major. There are nice big open flat spots to mount this stuff in useable locations. I was worried I'd have to use an aftermarket master cylinder and mount it upside down under the dash or something, but the stock on will work fine.
I have a bet with a co-worker that I will drive this to work on Monday the 19th. So far, I'm on track to drive it home on Saturday.
I'm putting a ZF in behind a 351W, both of which I took out of an 89F-250. I snagged the support plate off of the firewall of the donor truck, hopefully I can line everything up with that. I also took the pedal assembly out of that truck to use in mine. Do you have pics of where you mounted everything on the firewall?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I haven't taken any pics with the m/c installed, but in this pic the blob on the firewall just outboard of the brake reinforcement is where I put it.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It moved under it's own power, that's a good sign.
Be interesting to see what the MPG comes out to be.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty cool project. Glad to hear you got it to "Driveable" so quickly/easily.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Alvin in AZ
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't like the position of the new hydraulic system's clutch release either,
Ford_Six! :/ But now it's only a memory of what it was like the first week or
two driving it after that, I hadn't noticed it at all. :)
('91 Bronco E4od to ZF swap)

Originally Posted by 97nukeford
I'm putting a ZF in behind a 351W, both of which I took out of an 89F-250.
I snagged the support plate off of the firewall of the donor truck, hopefully I
can line everything up with that. I also took the pedal assembly out of that
truck to use in mine. Do you have pics of where you mounted everything on
the firewall?
I didn't know the old camera had a "flower" setting until after I took this
fuzzyass picture... ;)

The reason the pushrod is gold is because I made it from a brake pushrod...

...check out that crank pin after only 188k of "company truck" use. LOL :)
BTW, the firewall on that same truck is like-new stiffness-wise, so that part
does work. :)

Here's the brake pushrod's new-round-end...

Alvin in AZ

Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
great project i want to go diesel in my crew but need to finish other projects first. can you get some pics of the clutch cylinder mounting and the motor mounts? i'd like to see how you mounted everything upi'm doing a zf5 swap in my 71 crew with a 460 i wish i waited alittle longer to redo the 460 and go with a diesel instead

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Well, I drove it home just a few minutes ago. It runs great but is LOUD in the cab. I'll have to add some sound insulation in there.
I'll get pics tomorrow after work.
As far as the mounts, I don't think I'll post pics of those. I'm not thrilled with how they turned out. I've seen worse, and these'll last for a while, but I want something different. I'm going to build a new pan and pickup so I can drop the engine down about 2" and back about an inch. Then I'm going to build a subframe to bolt onto the crossmember incorporating the perches.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
How the truck sits now:

I need to do some bodywork now that the truck is reliable.
Master cylinder mounting:

The giant Banks air cleaner didn't fit past the cowl, so for now I put an open element cleaner. The inlet on the 7.3 is the same as a standard 4BBL carb, so it fit right on. When I drop the engine down it'll fit so I'll just run this till then.

Fancy chrome tip:

Banks power:

Transmission crossmember:

I used sch.80 pipe I had for the crossmember, and welded the mount section of the 80s crossmember onto it. I'll try and get some better pictures another time, when I can get some light under there.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how was the fitment of the zf did you need to cut the trans tunnel on the floor or anything for it to fit the stock shifter hole.

Quick Reply: Truck's going under the knife