1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1995 e350 7.3l powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM
mark121268
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e350 7.3l powerstroke

hello to all i am new to the forum and hope i am posting in the right place , but my question is i have a 1995 ford e350 cube truck with 16 foot box on it . sat all winter and will not start so checked a few things on it and wanted to drain the diesel fuel out of the the part with the yellow **** on it and could not get to it so took the air filter and noticed that there is a black plastic box that is connected to the the air intake tube just to the passenger side of the engine. it is connected to the tube that goes to the turbo charger. it is all broken, and held together with tape and want to try to get a new one but don't know the name of the part or the part number . have tried to look it up on google for 7.3l power stroke engine diagrams ext can seem to find any pictures of it . i am not sure what this part does as there is no wiring connected to it and looks like the air just swirls around in it as it goes from the air filter,does not go through it and then to the turbo charger , it sits off the side of the tube that goes to the turbo charger. any help that you people could give me would be great. thanks in advance

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE! Can you post a picture?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site! You are indeed in the right place. I believe that box you are seeing is called the CCV (Crank Case Vent) although that CCV should be on the driver side valve cover typically. It is designed to allow the excess pressure and fumes from inside the oil system of the engine to be recirculated back into the intake and through the engine. I am not 100% sure whether the CCV on an E series is the same as on the F-series or not, but if it is, I am parting out a PSD from a '95 F-250 and I have the CCV I could part with. Or you're welcome to try to get a new one locally, but I am assuming you're probably going to have to get it through Ford. Is the little steel "doghouse" what is damaged or just the rubber hose that goes form there to the aluminum air intake elbow?

As far as draining the diesel out of the fuel bowl, a lot of the time you have to open the top of the fuel bowl where you put the filter in to get the bowl to drain. Opening the drain with the top closed just creates a vacuum and nothing will drain.

In regard to getting the thing running again, do you see any smoke out the tailpipe while you are cranking it? Have you checked the oil level? Does the van have a tachometer and if so, does it move at all while you are cranking it? Answer a few questions for us and we will get you going again.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
Welcome to FTE! Can you post a picture?
And yes, a picture would be really helpful if you can get one on here. You might have a hard time posting a picture being brand new on the forum (I think you have to have so many posts first) but if you have a picasa or webshots account you can just post the IMG code to the site here so we can see what you're talking about.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

^^^^ what he said lol.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM
mark121268
New User
wow

wow fast reply , i will try to get a picture of what i am talking about,the size of the box that i am talking about 6 inch wide 6 inches length, and about 4 inches high . to answer some of the other questions no tac on it , no smoke when cranking it over . and thanks guys will try to get picture asap. you are the best

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 AM
mark121268
New User
link to picture

i hope i did this right but put the picture on photo bucket here is the link
Pictures by mark121268 - Photobucket sorry if this brakes any forum rules
and the part it self is in my avatar , not that good of pic , and if you would like to see how it conects to the hose just past the air cleaner can get a pic of that to if need .

Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
From what I can tell the black plastic part you have in your pictures is a part of the stock air intake. I know Ford has a tendency to put additional compartments on some of their intakes to act as a "silencer" to quiet intake noise. Not sure if that is what you're dealing with or not.

Do you get a "wait to start" light when you turn the key on? If you do, the most common issue causing a no start is the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor). It is located above the main crank pulley (harmonic Balancer) at about the 11:00 position. Without that signal the PCM is totally lost as to what the engine is doing, so it won't fire the injectors. If you get one, get it from either Ford or International as the ones you get from the chain stores are no good. It will probably cost you $30-$40 but it is a good thing to have a spare of since it will totally disable the truck when (not if but when) it goes out. Grab yourself one, swap it out (just one 10mm bolt to replace it) and we can try from there. If no WTS light, you likely have a blown fuse (#22 in the F-series trucks) in the under hood power distribution box. It is likely caused by a shorted fuel heater, so unplug that first then replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Im not as familiar with the e style powerstrokes, but id have to guess the same with DIY. It looks as if thats what it may be. Is there a lid on it? Wires?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
mark121268
New User
what is it

there is no wires going to it , there is the air filter box then there is a tube that goes to the turbocharger, about half the way down the tube off to the left side there is this box . when i get a chance i will post a picture of the air filter ,tube,box hooked up to give any one a better look at how it sits. if this just lets air swirl around it before it goes to the turbo charger i am wondering if i can just put a plug in the tube and get ride of it all together. thanks again will post pics asap.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, it's some kind of resonator. A lot of gasser car engines have them. And folks remove them and plug the passage, with the only consequence being a little different intake sound. But given yours is busted, you're probably already hearing the different sound anyway. So the main box that holds the filter is okay? If so, yeah, just plug the passage. The intake temp sensor is probably in the main box, so you should be golden.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Here ya go

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nate the fuel bowl heater is fuse #8 on the Vans they have a different box than the truck

Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordpride
Nate the fuel bowl heater is fuse #8 on the Vans they have a different box than the truck
Good to know. I figured they were different. Everything else is... The engine wiring harness isn't even the same.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM
mark121268
New User
found out what it is

went to ford talked to some of the guys there , none of them new what it was. so after 30 Min's of computer checking it has come up to as a resonator assembly . it keeps the noise down for the turbo charger . now i had asked how much it is 130.00 . i asked if i could just plug the hole and did not get a yes or no . so what do you think . like i had said in the other post there is no wiring going to it . and it looks like the air just comes through the air filter down the tube and swirls around the resonator assemble and back through the tube it came in from and then goes to the turbo charger. any thoughts

Quick Reply: 1995 e350 7.3l powerstroke