6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Drove a friend's duralax today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
jufam44
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a friend's duralax today...

And I am ever so happy that I bought a ford. That engine is nothing compared to the 6.7L... I stepped on the accelerator and thought the truck was waiting for an embroidered invitation to be developed on the back of a gold-crested falcon prior to accelerating. Plus, the Denali interior, while having heated/cooled seats like ford, leaves something to be desired... too much faux wood and hard touch plastics. Something about ford's polymer just feels nice. Go ford

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Everyone has their preferences, but the feel and quality of the Ford way outshines anything GM has to offer - IMHO.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by shadowSVT
Everyone has their preferences, but the feel and quality of the Ford way outshines anything GM has to offer - IMHO.
It is easy to like Fords if you trade every 3 years... -Mike

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jufam44
And I am ever so happy that I bought a ford. That engine is nothing compared to the 6.7L... I stepped on the accelerator and thought the truck was waiting for an embroidered invitation to be developed on the back of a gold-crested falcon prior to accelerating. Plus, the Denali interior, while having heated/cooled seats like ford, leaves something to be desired... too much faux wood and hard touch plastics. Something about ford's polymer just feels nice. Go ford

Put a tune on that D-max and it will walk all over the new ford....

Tune both trucks and the D-max still wins....just sayin.

The new super duty is a nice truck (I have one) but GM will always be a more "refined" truck, typically with a nicer interior and more creature comforts.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by jufam44
That's interesting to hear. Perhaps there was something wrong with it?

In every comparison review I've read so far the Duramax handily beats the 6.7L Ford truck in nearly every acceleration test, empty and loaded.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just that it seems opposite from what I've read.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
bassdude
Elder User
i rode in a brand new durajoke last weekend. went from one dealers lot to another across town to look at a truck for my sis. the salesman gunned it getting on to the freeway. i laughed. that interior is cheap ill fitted garbage compared to my 11-350. it really wasn't any better than my old 00-250 i traded in on the new truck. even with ten years on it. chevy.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
The electronics and interior of the Fords is superior to that of GMs trucks with the exception of the GM Bose sound system. It is of better quality but everything else is dated and behind the times. It was dated and archaic when it came out in the new GM trucks in 2007. GM trucks do have a better and more refined engine and transmission, but the power and acceleration of the Ford is right there with it and not far off. I spend most of my time looking at the interior of a vehicle and because of that I'm glad I made the decision to go with the Ford. Anytime I need a reminder that I made the right choice (not often) I'll just go drive my wife's Tahoe and listen to the increased road/wind noise and rattles that seem to plague the GM trucks I've been in and owned. The Ford is so much tighter and quieter. My last Duramax was a great truck but the rattles and overall shoddy interior quality made me tired of it after only 2 years. I hope to keep the Ford for a lot longer.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
This has been my experience as well. I've driven quite a few DAs in the last 6 years including towing my campers with a few. They're decent trucks that have a great powertrain, but the suspension, fit and finish, interior and the styling leave me cold. Every one of my friend's DAs have rattles in the suspension at 30K miles or less. Doors rattle, switch gear failures, seats rattle, steering shaft issues..the list goes on and on. The styling of the truck is very dated to my eye...just looks weird like they're trying to make it look like a big block in an effort to make it look bigger, tougher yet it's significantly smaller on the inside.

I do agree that the sound system in the Ford sucks. For what you pay, the premium sound should blow you away and it doesn't. Very poor.

Either truck will do the work we ask of it, but for me...the Ford is the best choice.

Originally Posted by F2502011
The electronics and interior of the Fords is superior to that of GMs trucks with the exception of the GM Bose sound system. It is of better quality but everything else is dated and behind the times. It was dated and archaic when it came out in the new GM trucks in 2007. GM trucks do have a better and more refined engine and transmission, but the power and acceleration of the Ford is right there with it and not far off. I spend most of my time looking at the interior of a vehicle and because of that I'm glad I made the decision to go with the Ford. Anytime I need a reminder that I made the right choice (not often) I'll just go drive my wife's Tahoe and listen to the increased road/wind noise and rattles that seem to plague the GM trucks I've been in and owned. The Ford is so much tighter and quieter. My last Duramax was a great truck but the rattles and overall shoddy interior quality made me tired of it after only 2 years. I hope to keep the Ford for a lot longer.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
All I know is I have a co-worker with a D-max. He is always leaning on my truck.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM
jufam44
New User
Noise

I also noticed how loud they are at speed... accelerating reminds me of the flight line at Lackland AFB...

Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Dave XLT
New User
I think if ford had the same size tires and gear racial as the chevy those test for speed would come out a lot different The Super duty is at a big disavantage with chevy having a 373 gear and 245-16 tires and ford has 331 or 355 with 18 or twenty inch tires.
My frend with his duramax gets seventeen empty and I get twenty MPH and I can pull my camper as good as he can pull his.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
bookem15
Senior User
Originally Posted by Andrew010
Put a tune on that D-max and it will walk all over the new ford....

Tune both trucks and the D-max still wins....just sayin.

The new super duty is a nice truck (I have one) but GM will always be a more "refined" truck, typically with a nicer interior and more creature comforts.
Are you serious??????? creature comforts?????

IT'S A TRUCK NOT A LUXURY CAR................

if you tune both trucks and you have an issue I do not think you are going to care which one is faster or more powerful. The only thing your going to think is HOLY ***** I can not believe I have to pay to have my truck fixed even though I HAD a warranty......

just my .02

Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave XLT
I think if ford had the same size tires and gear racial as the chevy those test for speed would come out a lot different The Super duty is at a big disavantage with chevy having a 373 gear and 245-16 tires and ford has 331 or 355 with 18 or twenty inch tires.
My frend with his duramax gets seventeen empty and I get twenty MPH and I can pull my camper as good as he can pull his.
The rearend ratio is not the total story.
The overall final ratio in each gear corrected for tire diameter difference is what matters.
If you look at this, the Ford has a HUGE advantage.
I did the math for each gear and even corrected it for tire dieameter difference, and posted it somewhere a while ago, I forget where at the moment.

When I find it, I will post it here...I will say that I was shocked at the gearing advantage that the Ford has. Makes me wonder just whats up with the advertised HP/TQ ratings.

And the gearing may be the difference that the OP felt. In a standing start situation, the Ford with close to a granny 1st gear will feel substantially stronger. Gears trump power in certain situations, but there is a tradeoff.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
...the suspension, fit and finish, interior and the styling leave me cold.
Agree ... wife and I had some spare time a few months ago and browsed the new Super Dutys and then a few new HD GMC/Chevys. I really wanted to like the GM stuff, with all the positive performance reviews they get, but the styling and ancient interior is a turn off. And then momma said she just likes the way the Fords look, so that was the end of the discussion!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bookem15
Are you serious??????? creature comforts?????

IT'S A TRUCK NOT A LUXURY CAR................

if you tune both trucks and you have an issue I do not think you are going to care which one is faster or more powerful. The only thing your going to think is HOLY ***** I can not believe I have to pay to have my truck fixed even though I HAD a warranty......

just my .02
It's wrong to want/expect a nice interior in a truck? For 60k I expect some luxury!

Warranty isn't all it's cracked up to be. If it breaks, I'll pay to fix it. Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Drove a friend's duralax today...