Sponsored by:

CB antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB antenna

Guys with CBs in your Bronco. What CB antenna do you run?

I plan to get one for my Uniden CB and mount it on my tire carrier mounting bracket.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The unique thing about a GOOD citizen's-band antenna is that it works best if the antenna itself is as close to 96" (8 feet) in length as possible. This doesn't mean that the entire antenna needs to be that long but the wire used within the antenna should be. The other key to achieving a good signal is to keep the antenna mounted as close to the center of the vehicle as physically possible. The funny thing is that the further off-center the better the reception is in the direction across the vehicle from the antenna. Further towards the back of the vehicle, better reception in front of you. Further forward, the better reception behind you. Just some advice I was given years ago and always follow.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
So you are saying I should mount it somewhere else?

What brand of CB antenna is good?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:11 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, just keep in mind that a non-amplified antenna will behave as I mentioned. Its range isn't diminished, just shifted based upon location on the vehicle. Not very well versed in brands. My knowledge is more in functionality. Someone here will have a good idea though.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always use fire stick

Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I had an 8.5' whip, took it off though, was beginning to become a pain plus it got really bent.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
ExtrmZ
Senior User
I have a 5 foot firestick mounted on my back bumper. Need to find a new radio though, doesnt work too well

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
JERSEY MUD
Junior User
Thumbs up

Antennas | Redman CB Stop
anyone of these
i run the wison 1000 mag mount

Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you run your antenna in the center of your roof (which means cutting a hole) you'll want to avoid a base loaded antenna. Center load antennas by Hustler and Firestik are the main competitors, and will likely work equally well. Hustler is a bit better made, but A Firestik antenna is just fine as well. The Firestik antenna might require a spring because it's heavier; get the one with the screw adjustment so you can easily adjust your SWR. I'd also suggest you purchase the Fire Ring setup, as it will last longer, and isn't as likely to corrode in the weather.
Avoid a magnetic antenna mount unless you intend to swap it between vehicles.
And don't fail to check your SWR, even if your radio has an SWR function. CB antennas aren't plug and play.

And to answer your question, I run a Hustler 55" antenna in the middle of the top of the roof. On a good day I can receive from 5 miles away and transmit 3, with an SWR of 1.5:1

Happy Wrenching

Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM
SuperDutyFirefighter
New User
I came across this post by searching citizens band at the home page. It seems I'm a little late to the party, but just to throw my 2 cents in the pot, I roll an '03 F-250 SD 4x4. My unit is a Cobra 25 WX NW ST. I wanted the 29 with the same features but not enough scratch. Anyway, My antenna setup is a 3' Firestik on a 4" spring mounted to the side of my cross-bed toolbox. It has 12' coax running to the radio and the whole system operates perfectly. I use it mostly for 4-wheeling, but also listen in and chat during any of my daily commutes. Also on road trips with friends.

Check out rightchannelradios.com if you're looking for any cb equipment. they have everything and are absolutely fantastic with shipping & customer service.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is my CB, I don't know much about it besides that it is a Cobra. It was $35 at Walmart. I have a white 3' whip on a mirror mount. It was $15 on Amazon. I plan on moving it on cowl on the opposite side of the factory antenna. I bought it because all my friends have them, and we planned on using them when we drive around. Unfortunately I can't hear mine over my exhaust, so I still need to wire in an external speaker.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I've been contemplating putting one of my CB's into the Bronco. Not sure I want to drill a hole in the roof, if I do I'll go with a Wilson 5000. I've got a 150W Silver Streak linear to hide as well

If I don't drill a hole, I will probably mount a firestick on the tailgate mount.

I have a Cobra 148 GTL (the good one not the cheaply made version) decked out with all sorts of bells and whistles. I think I tuned it to push 50 watts on it's own. The other is a Sommerkamp TS-2000D which I can't remember anything about off the top of my head

Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Most of my CB's were in my dump trucks. I had an old Galaxy (don't remember the model, but tuned and souped up) in my Ford Super Duty. I had a Wilson 5000 with a 5' whip and magnet mount. (I just used it for job site jaw jacking!) With my dump trucks, I usually a had K40 antenna. If the driver didn't have his own radio....I usually bought a cheap Cobra. I bought the first set antennas and told my drivers you break em....you buy em!! The dump truck I drove I had a Magnum S9 with dual Monkey Made antennas. The radios definitely need to be tuned if you don't know how to do that. The radio shop at the big truck stop in Ocala FL set up my dump truck. I'm in SW Florida and I could talk to people in Miami (at night). and have good reception.

Greystreak is right....you gotta have GOOD cables, properly mounted antennas and GOOD grounds. If you have a radio with any kind of power....run power directly from the battery, not switched power.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And find you a 200 watt linear and get it profesionally installed if you dont know how to do it. **** ALL your neighbors off. The tuning is the big thing for your C.B. Get it right and be happy. Half *** it and never be happy. I can remember growing up when you actually had to have a license to operate a cb legally. My Dad was into it, had a huge lafayette if I remember correctly base station. Had an antenna on about a 30 foot pole mounted on top of 4 12 foot sections of tower. He could talk and receive from a couple hundred miles away. It was kind of neat listenin to truckers at night B.S. each other.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:24 PM
maco
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
4' Francis (comes in different colours also) seems to be the best all round antennae especially for price... make sure you have a GOOD metal ground & be sure to check the SWR after mounting!!! length of of coax @ 3' increments should be used!! (lengths @ 12'/15'/18' etc)

Quick Reply: CB antenna