Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Freshman User

capitanjo is starting off with a positive reputation.
02 f250 7.3l fuel pump help!!

hey guys i have another thread open if yall wanna read thru it maybe you can help me with my issue.. But on here i was wondering if someone can look under there truck.

An look at the line fuel pump an see which wire was the positive an which is the neg.. an maybe snap a photo..

Im on my second fuel pump thinking the first new one was bad an the second one is doing the exact same..

So if i can get a photo of what it looks like thanks guy.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Not sure what you are asking for? Are younot sure which one is power?

Click the image to open in full size.

Are you not getting power to the pump? If so, you should check the inertia switch behind the passenger side kick panel. There is a hole there to check the reset button.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Postmaster

woodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud ofwoodnthings has much to be proud of
Here are a couple of diagrams for you too.

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Website, HD4R100 , T-500, Melling LPOP, Gen-2 FRx, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Riffraff OCR, , Braided Brake Lines, CAC Boots & Billet Plenums, Aeroforce Scangauge, 4" Diamond Eye, Powerslots, Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, AE, KCM S.S. HPX, S&B Filters intake, Quad pod w/ISSPRO EV2's, Big Head , 6.0L Trans Cooler,
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
IIRC there is a + (battery) and - (ground) marked on the fuel pump body right next to the terminals.

If you are not sure which wire goes where turn on the key and you will have about 20 esconds to find out which is the + wire.
From the above schematics the + is pink/black and the - is black.

Also you should bench test the new pump to see if it runs.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
Also you should bench test the new pump to see if it runs.
I'd add that you should bench test to see if the pump actually pumps diesel...the motor of the fuel pump could turn, but not necessarily pump fluid (not likely, I know...but worth checking).

Support The Semper Fi Fund or America's Fund

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 11-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlemerise View Post
I'd add that you should bench test to see if the pump actually pumps diesel...the motor of the fuel pump could turn, but not necessarily pump fluid (not likely, I know...but worth checking).
Good point Neal.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanjo View Post
hey guys i have another thread open if yall wanna read thru it maybe you can help me with my issue.. But on here i was wondering if someone can look under there truck.

An look at the line fuel pump an see which wire was the positive an which is the neg.. an maybe snap a photo..

Im on my second fuel pump thinking the first new one was bad an the second one is doing the exact same..

So if i can get a photo of what it looks like thanks guy.
ALL Bosch pumps are the same and IIRC the positive is the lead with the smaller connector.
You CANNOT mix them up by design, because if you get it wrong, one side will fit sloppy and the other side won't go on at all unless you drill out the connector so it will fit.
You can see on my fuel pump the two different sized threads for + and -.
EDIT:
And if you look closely, you can see the + and - in the casting of the fuel pump outlet shoulder.
The + is the smaller stud on the left.

2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.
Tried to rep Ken for the schematics but I'm still in rep jail.
AIS, Zoodad, CCV, OCR, IH Bellowed Uppipes, GTP38R, 6.0L IC, Diesel Site Boots, 5" exh, AIH, Foil, and EBPV delet, Hutch/Harpoon, Coolant Filter, 203* T-stat, 08 Diff Cover, Bypass Filter, Tranny Cooler, Isspro EV2's, T-500 HPOP, WVO system, Tony Wildman Tunes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Freshman User

fantastic thankyour for the picture that was one of the problems i had the wires were backwards.! thank you
Old 11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Freshman User

So my new problem that occured is the vehicle was struggling to stay on unless i hit the accelerator a little bit. Then it stayed alive. I let it idle for about 10-15mins let the juices flow. an when I put it in drive to take off it would hardly accelerate.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
fantastic thankyour for the picture that was one of the problems i had the wires were backwards.! thank you
Well I'm surprised that you were able to get them connected at all backwards like that.
Does the truck run now?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
Well I'm surprised that you were able to get them connected at all backwards like that.
Does the truck run now?
no MY message above states my new problem :/ lol

I do have an extra CPS Sensor.
So i will let switch them out. see if theres a difference.

any suggestions while im doing that?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
So my new problem that occured is the vehicle was struggling to stay on unless i hit the accelerator a little bit. Then it stayed alive. I let it idle for about 10-15mins let the juices flow. an when I put it in drive to take off it would hardly accelerate.

Do you have a check engine light on or anything? Is it running rough? Sounds like you may have an oil pressure issue. Do you have the means o do some basic troubleshooting checks like fuel pressure and oil pressure? Possibly a way to retrieve codes?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Do you have a check engine light on or anything? Is it running rough? Sounds like you may have an oil pressure issue. Do you have the means o do some basic troubleshooting checks like fuel pressure and oil pressure? Possibly a way to retrieve codes?
I switched the cps sensor. it did feel a lil better.

the rpms would still go up high an the speedometer would barely move.
It sounds like it wants to "go" it just isnt going very fast haha.

I may be able to do all 3 but not untill tuesday When im off of duty.

It started up beautifully didn't lag on the idle like it had done so at first.

there was no engline light.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Posting Guru

HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.HD Rider has a very good reputation on FTE.
How high do the rpms go? Is this a tranny issue?
AIS, Zoodad, CCV, OCR, IH Bellowed Uppipes, GTP38R, 6.0L IC, Diesel Site Boots, 5" exh, AIH, Foil, and EBPV delet, Hutch/Harpoon, Coolant Filter, 203* T-stat, 08 Diff Cover, Bypass Filter, Tranny Cooler, Isspro EV2's, T-500 HPOP, WVO system, Tony Wildman Tunes
Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM