1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 running board hassle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55 running board hassle

I'm having a heck of a time with these new running boards. The brackets are too low and not lined up with the holes in the running boards, it's a tight fit between the front and rear fenders. Has anyone experienced this hassle and if you where successfull what was your stratagy?

I'm thinking of using a comealong to align the brackets by forcing them to where they need to be(actual bending the brackets) any other ideas would be appreciated. I think removing the rear fender and aligning the running boards with the cab and box will make this go some what easier too!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:53 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
When I had fiberglass running boards on my 55 I put a piece of 1x6 wood under it for more stability and to raise them up some. I would think if you bent the brackets it will be difficulty to get them to line up or be straight, I would slot the holes where they bolt to the frame before I bend them, my $.02.

Last edited by jaye; 11-27-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaye
When I had fiberglass running boards on my 55 I put a piece of 2x6 wood under it for more stability and to raise them up some. I would think if you bent the brackets it will be difficulty to get them to line up or be straight, I would slot the holes where they bolt to the frame before I bend them, my $.02.
I also had alignment problems, and slotted the holes on the brackets as u suggest.. then used a new nut on the bolts.. but this was for a 55 where the brackets are bolted on..

on the 56 they are riveted on..

Sam

Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
I'm not sure that slotting the brackets will help much, as the one bracket seems to need to go about a 1" forward and a 1/2" up while the other two only a half hole out, and go figure one is perfect but needs to come up about 1".
Just a quick question, did you install the running boards before the rear fenders? The reason I'm asking is that I have the 3" wider fibreglass fenders and once painted thinking that they will get scratched when trying to get them in the notch of the fender.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Before you start bending stuff, I would suggest taking a good close look to determine exactly what the problem is. Are the brackets themselves bent or damaged? Are you using inferior aftermarket parts? Steel or fiberglass running boards? I've always tried to make it a point of modifying or fixing the incorrect part, rather than bending up known good pieces to make bad ones fit. Doing that only means you end up with more bad parts.

My 2c.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I experienced similar problems. I just needed to "massage "the brackets back to where they fit. I used body shims between the boards and brackets to set the level. I bolted my 3"wider fenders to the running boards first, then installed them on the truck as a unit. I hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
All good advice, I thought I had picked all the good used parts for my running board brackets????? but they seem to my only issue. I'm thinking that some where sprung while others may have taken a side hit, not sure as I bought my truck without the running boards. They are new and seem well made from MF. Shimming and oblonging the bracket holes are great ideas once I get them close.
I thought bolting all my new parts on would be a walk in the park not the case all seem to need some kind of tweeking!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by CdnWillyG
I'm not sure that slotting the brackets will help much, as the one bracket seems to need to go about a 1" forward and a 1/2" up while the other two only a half hole out, and go figure one is perfect but needs to come up about 1".
Just a quick question, did you install the running boards before the rear fenders? The reason I'm asking is that I have the 3" wider fibreglass fenders and once painted thinking that they will get scratched when trying to get them in the notch of the fender.
My bedsides were per drilled, so I didn't have any choice where to mount the fenders. I had everything profit before paint. As I remember it, I bolted the fender to the running board and raised the fender ends on floor jacks til it fit the bedside holes. Then I mounted the brackets to match.

Sam

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
I had problems too!

Try this (quoting frompage 400) of the '56 F-100 shop manual:

To install the running boards, work from the forward side of the front fender, and insert the mounting bolts through the bolt holes, then slide the rubber bumpers on the bolts from the rear side of the front fender. Then position the running board on the support arms, and at the same time, guide the assembly into position so that the bolt holes (front side of running board) slide onto the bolts and against the rubber bumpers. Then install the washers and nuts and tighten them until the rubber bumpers begin to compress. Then install the running board to support arm bolts. Then last, install the four running board to rear fender bolts.

Before I had the shop manual, I pulled my running boards off of my 56' to simply install step plates and had a hell of a time getting them to line up to put them back on. I couldn't believe how they could be on and look so good, then I removed them , and then they would not line up to bolt back on! I finally got them on, but it took me and my son both pushing and pulling and sweating and to get them to go. So I have not tried the above, but if my memory serves me, had I done what he manual said, I am sure it would of been much easier!

You will get them installed and they will look good! And if you are thinking about step plates.....now would be the time to put them on!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
My bedsides were per drilled, so I didn't have any choice where to mount the fenders. I had everything profit before paint. As I remember it, I bolted the fender to the running board and raised the fender ends on floor jacks til it fit the bedside holes. Then I mounted the brackets to match.

Sam
Thanks Sam, I was thinking that would be the way to go, because there is no way I would get these on if I had both fenders in place and then tried mounting the running boards with out screwing somethng up! Did you paint your truck at home? Sure turned out nice!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Thanks Sam, I was thinking that would be the way to go, because there is no way I would get these on if I had both fenders in place and then tried mounting the running boards with out screwing somethng up! Did you paint your truck at home? Sure turned out nice!
I did not paint my truck.. I don't have the skill for the candy paint.
I worked with the painter to get this into the most consistent coverage by painting the outside of the big pieces together.. (front clip, cab, and bed).

Sam

Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by hooler1
Try this (quoting frompage 400) of the '56 F-100 shop manual:

To install the running boards, work from the forward side of the front fender, and insert the mounting bolts through the bolt holes, then slide the rubber bumpers on the bolts from the rear side of the front fender. Then position the running board on the support arms, and at the same time, guide the assembly into position so that the bolt holes (front side of running board) slide onto the bolts and against the rubber bumpers. Then install the washers and nuts and tighten them until the rubber bumpers begin to compress. Then install the running board to support arm bolts. Then last, install the four running board to rear fender bolts.

Before I had the shop manual, I pulled my running boards off of my 56' to simply install step plates and had a hell of a time getting them to line up to put them back on. I couldn't believe how they could be on and look so good, then I removed them , and then they would not line up to bolt back on! I finally got them on, but it took me and my son both pushing and pulling and sweating and to get them to go. So I have not tried the above, but if my memory serves me, had I done what he manual said, I am sure it would of been much easier!

You will get them installed and they will look good! And if you are thinking about step plates.....now would be the time to put them on!
Thanks Holler1, that would work great on stock rear fenders but with the notch in the rear fenders to allow for the running boards on the 3" wider ones and getting under the bed with the extension may present some stress...in me! I''m leaning towards assembling to rear fenders then to the truck, still may be nerve racking getting the extension under the bed with the brackets on. Time will tell, still need to get these pre-fitted but thanks for the confidence that it will look good! I checked your profile no truck pics???

Old 11-28-2011, 10:28 AM
CdnWillyG
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I did not paint my truck.. I don't have the skill for the candy paint.
I worked with the painter to get this into the most consistent coverage by painting the outside of the big pieces together.. (front clip, cab, and bed).

Sam
I noticed from your pics that you painted the front sheet metal assembled, what did you do where the sheet metal over laped each other for paint? The reason I ask is that is what I want to do but don't want the mating pieces without paint, so either I do each piece seperate or prepaint these areas and then assemble for final paint.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I noticed from your pics that you painted the front sheet metal assembled, what did you do where the sheet metal over laped each other for paint? The reason I ask is that is what I want to do but don't want the mating pieces without paint, so either I do each piece seperate or prepaint these areas and then assemble for final paint.
for the doors/cab.. we painted the insides, all the way out to the door edge line..

then we mouted the doors on the cam and used seam foam tape to prevent paint blow in along the seam.. then painted the whole outside..

on the hood/front clip.. painted inside, under the fenders, up to the fender edge.. then set hood on front clip, and used the same foam tape to seal the gap on the hood, then painted the whole outside..

on the bed, we painted the bed assembled, but with the fenders on separate stands to not cause a buildup on the joint. painted under the fenders first.

see all the pics here http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/p...green%20paint/
one example

Sam

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Also check your bed is mounted correctly - and hasn't been modified at the mounting points at some point in the past.

I also shimmed my brackets at the frame to account for fitting issues and also used small rubber shims under the running boards to ease proper final fitment and cushion the boards at the mounting point.

Quick Reply: 55 running board hassle