1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm bored, gonna sell all my truck stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
My oldest child will soon turn 9 years old. There is not one day that goes by that we don't do something really fun or just hang out together. Heck I am the little league coach for both of them in addition to busting my hump to be a good dad. But I catch myself feeling guilty sometimes even when I sneak up to my shop after they go to sleep or aren't even home. In my job, I see so much heartache and sadness. And I guess that just escalates my panic to give them a good childhood.

I will be quite honest, I don't care how long it takes to get my 50 going again. Its my hobby along with the other ones. My girls are my life. I am currently replacing the floor pans. But I've been hesitant to post a picture, etc because it may take me a week to get back up there if my girls are busy. And I don't want somebody to think I am that slow or wonder why I have "given up". I got a heck more enjoyment today playing tag with my 6 year old and helping her conquer Angry Birds than I did fitting my toe board patch. The truck will always be there. She will grow up and leave someday. So, yes, I understand you fully.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I look at like this. I've been in possession of an old Ford of some kind, or another, since I was 9. That's 25 years of constant ownership. I have tons more time, assuming nothing bad happens, and not much more time with the kids before they go off on their own. I have my dads two trucks, and my moms Falcon to look forward to in the near future, and I'm not parting ways with the Big Job that I've had for going on 5 years now. My back yard, which isn't very big, has a '56 F-100, a 53-55 cab, with doors, a '53 F-600, numerous misc. parts, and the chassis for my Big Job. The garage has all my tools, welder, compressor, torches, and tools, parts, (cab, doors, engines, tranny, etc.), and it's just sitting there. I love my old trucks, I really do, but they have been a part of me since I was little. I'll never no own one, or three, that's a given, but it's time to set aside the trucks, and focus on a more hands on, family oriented hobby, like the trains, or building models with the kids, or playing some family games, etc., and get back to the trucks when the irritant of working on cars as a job, has finally worn off. I really don't like working on cars that much. I do like my old trucks, and do enjoy restoring old vehicles, but there isn't a real market for that in my area. So, I'll pick one out soon, for my oldest...I have four years before he's a driver, then one for my daughter, I have six years for her, and one for my youngest, eight years for him. I figure, that will let me stay on the trucks, but at a slower pace, and with fewer parts laying around doing nothing.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
As one who is older than most on here, I'll reflect on my lifelong love of old iron. It was a real 'bonding agent' for my twin sons and me as they were growing up. I bought them an old pickup when they were a year away from getting their driver license, figuring it would take a year to get it running. They took to that old truck with unbelievable interest and determination, engine rebuild and readied it for paint. Most of the work they did themselves with my guidance. This project became a magnet to their friends as they would all hang out at my garage/shop. I got to know the friends and many of them learned something about cars. Coincidence or not but they all turned out to be good kids, stayed out of trouble. The subject truck was road ready in six months.
It is common for one's interests to change. I started playing with old boats and campers. I converted a Boyerton bodied one ton DRW Ford van into a motorhome, camper, complete with engine, transmission and rearend upgrade. I ventured into T-birds, drove them for years. Tired somewhat of the birds so went into Vetts for awhile, driving them as daily drivers. Then we bought some agricultural property and the need for a tractor was there. So old tractors became my passion, mainly old Fords, and I refurbished or restored a couple dozen of them.
All the while I always owned and drove one or more Ford trucks, two old ones which I own today in addition to my newer DD.
So it is quite normal, IMO, to have one's interests change........Wish I had a couple old birds sitting around today. Don't clean house completely.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Yeah, I couldn't totally go parts broke, that just wouldn't be right. Clearing out some, or most, I think is sufficient. I agree, that when I have my hands on one that I know my oldest will enjoy, that will be a great time for all, including his friends. Then I'll do the same with my other two. I've always loved three things (other than family, and close friends).....model cars, model trains, and old Ford cars, and trucks. I have just enough room on my property to house a truck, under cover, and lack enough room to keep them from getting in the way. Downsizing dramatically, I think will be key, as opposed to just clearing out.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There's no "rule" saying you have to work on your truck or car constantly, and devote your life to it. Stepping away from it for a while isn't a big deal, just something that is necessary sometimes.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know your priority's , we all go through it..don't fret ..carry on we will be here so you can share your new toy's ...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too am cutting back,not because i am tired or bored at it, mine is health reasons. I have probably been at it longer than most on here,started in 1956 and i just turned 70 years old last October. After spending most of those years doing construction work and lifting old car parts in the hobby part of it. I have just about wore my body out, so i will cut back. Parked my 79 F-100 and 51 F-2 behind the shop along with parts. I will sell them if the market gets better for old parts. I have sold 4 engines and a couple of tranys this last summer. I will keep my 35 street rod going for a while and finish restoring my 64 futura. But quit,no, i will just step back for awhile and do a few other things i have been putting off for a long time. I always like model R.R. too, but don't have room for much of one.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I started my 54 F100 project with my oldest son when he was 12. Made models, built tree houses, and rode bikes before that. We've pecked away at it over the years. He's graduated from college 2 years ago and moved out but last week he came home for thanksgiving and he drove the project around the cul-de-sac. We also flew his RC plane so now I'm interested in getting my old glider going. But I'll keep plugging away at the 54. When I see an old truck in a field I dream but one project is enough for me and I gota think you own;t be twiddling your thumbs if you get rid of all but one or two.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well....It is important to spend as much time with your kids as possible. Each of my four had to rebuild a vehicle if they wanted to drive. I figured (and I think correctly), that if they had some sweat invested that they'd be more careful with their cars. Not only that, they picked up some lifelong skills that they don't teach in school anymore.

If you want to give it a rest for a couple of years, your tools will still be there if you decide to get another project. I have found that there are always cars & trucks to be found coming out of the woodwork.

I personally split my hobby time between the 52 Ford truck and flying RC airplanes....we never got into model trains, but I have friends who are fanatics, so I can see the attraction.

Hobbies are supposed to be fun...so take a break if you need to!!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
!!

Doh...the computer froze after the last post....I didn't think it went through

Last edited by old_dan; 11-28-2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Joe I think one thing that is probably taking the wind out of your sails is the lack of proper space to do your truck projects. I say this because I've been there... Now, I have a shop and whenever I want to go do something else, I just throw down the tools, shut the doors and come back to it another time. I use to be where you are, working out of the garage, outside alot. Just can't happen much here. When i got out of the service and moved back up this way, I told (my then wife) the place we buy must have enough land to support a decent size shop...period! All the prevoius years i worked on my back in the driveway, chewing sand in the southwestern windstorms, etc... and had enough. Knowing how crappy the weather can be up this way, a shop is almost a must! We bought just before the housing went stupid, refinanced when housing did go stupid and that's where I got the $$ to put up the shop, otherwise it's most likely would have not yet happened. Now I'm upside down in the house bad (but don't care cause I'm not selling anyways) wife's gone and it's just the kids and me. Having the shop gives me the opportunity to go out and work a little without having to drag out and then drag in all my tools, project, etc.. so it gives you a bit of flexability. That and the kids like to come out there and tear the place up too, especially on those cold rainy days...lol If I didn't have the shop, I can easily say that i would have tossed my hands into the air and said "To h*ll with it!!!" and sold everything off. The weather here is too crazy and what good weather we get doesn't last long enough...
But I like your plan, take a time out and have fun with the trains. N scale is pretty cool and you can do more with it in smaller space. And old buddy of mine was into N scale and he did some really neat scenery with it. I've always been into HO scale, but it takes up twice as much room. You should look up Columbia Gorge Model RR club on the net. They also have some youtube video of their 60x70 layout room (mostly HO scale) but is intermixed with a small amount of N and even Z scale. It's quite the layout to see. They just had a public open house through November (on the weekends) but they do welcome Visitors on thier tues. night meetings. They are in Portland, so I don't know how often you get up this way, but for a club that's been around since the mid 50's (since '83 at that location) it's quite the sight to see and the knowlege is unbelieveable!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
And there is why FTE is the best. I agree with just about everything that everyone has said. I'm getting rid of the stuff, that I know I won't use anytime soon. This will allow me to reevaluate what I do have, and what I can do with it. I will be able to make room for the two '55s that will eventually make their way here from Neavada, and the '64 Falcon as well. I will, in the mean time, take a much needed break from the auto industry, except for my regular towing job, and spend some time working on enjoying my other hobbies....the kids, the trains, the models, the house, etc., etc. My wife and I have discussed a few other things as well, such as adding on to the house, to make another room, or possibly even extending the garage out, to accomodate a stall large enough for a Big Job. If I can get out of the weather with the trucks I really enjoy (the big trucks), it will bring a much better sense of enjoyment out of owning the old trucks.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Joe, I'm right there with ya. Wife and I have discussed the same plans. I would like to build a new shop before any house addition, and then see what money is left over for projects. I think it would be better to have a nice shop that can hold 2 projects at a time, to casually work on each day I feel like going out there. I also feel it would be nice to just buy one that runs and drives, for some "unwind" time after a hard day in the shop of not seeing any real progress, such as sanding filler. Some guys already have one finished for that.... I don't yet. I won't sell anything I currently have, but I surely won't be buying any others. Lucky for me, I have the yard space. The hardest part about it all, is if you intend to keep what you finish, you still have to have a place to store it.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
DumbLuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our son was my life. We lost him in 2005, and I lost myself. A buddy pulled my head out of my fanny by giving me a '81 Suzuki GS450L to figure out. The PO had jump started it with a 100 amp booster. Next thing I knew i was restoring old motorcycles I'd cut free from the weeds. I traded one off for my '53 F250 a couple years back and haven't regretted it.

We were given custody of our Great Nephew at 16 months, just over 2 years ago. He was pretty badly abused. I sold off the last restored skoot to cover the legal fees getting full custody. At 3 1/2 he loves to "drive" the truck. I'm having a garage built now. It has a 3rd stall for the PickUp. The hope is that he will continue to be interested thru the years and the truck will be his. He already wants to use the radial arm saw bad, so I figure a wrench is alot safer. At least for now.

I guess what I'm saying is, with kids you need hobbies, and with hobbies, you need kids to share them with. Don't sell it all, I think you're on the good track.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
denverslim
Senior User
Your's is a tough story, luck. I feel for you, as only someone who has never had your grief can.
It's good to see you making attempts to move on with your life. Your nephew is indeed "lucky"...slim