Oil & Lubrication  

Whats your oil of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM
stuart9534
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had good luck with Pennzoil conventional 10w30.

My mom has a '98 honda civic with 120000 miles on it that has had Valvoline 5w30 in it since new changed by me every 4000 miles, and the oil is still clean when I drain it out.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
beetle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any name-brand oil that's on sale.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
gusher
Junior User
I like Amsoil best.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Amsoil. I run Full-Synthetic in EVERYTHING, but I like Amsoil the best.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
I run Amsoil synthetics in all my equipment. I have been using it for years and always pleased with the performance.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 AM
83capril
Elder User
Amsoil in the 2004 Mach 1 & 2009 Suzuki.

Pennzoil / Shell in everything else. They seem to have cleaned up the engien in my Z71 that had only Mobil 1 in it. Wich was very nasty.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valvoline VR1

Old 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Schaefer's 5w-20

Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
mrshark
Senior User
I stick with Motorcraft semi synthetic in both our Escape and F150...motor craft filters as well..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked for a Texaco jobber for ten years and in that time got to see lots of non-public info on various oils that were tested against Texaco products.

Two brands I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole are Quaker State and Amalie. I've personally seen engines torn down that looked like they were filled with wax that ran these oils. Conoco motor oils were very sub-standard as well. Also, be wary of 'recycled' motor oils. Some companies do a decent job of this and some simply filter burnt oil, add some fresh base to it and rebottle it.

Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, and Texaco Havoline (for gas engines) or Ursa (for diesel engines) are my preferred choices for conventional motor oils. Mobil One is a great synthetic. I've put 1000 hard hours on a Polaris Ranger on my ranch and haven't ever had to add oil between changes on a 100 hour cycle. Exxon had a really good oil as well (Supra?), but I think it's been discontinued since Mobil bought them out.

Dealer oil brands like Motorcraft are made by what ever oil company they contract with. For many years Texaco had the Ford contract, but I don't know who has it now. Whoever makes the oil would blend it to Ford's specs.

Also, it is NOT advisable to mix oil brands in an engine. Not all additives are compatible. Some oils, when mixed, will 'clabber'. It looks a lot like clabbered milk. Try to pick an oil you like and stay with it.

One last tip an oil engineer gave me once: when you add oil, be it motor oil, trans oil, etc., shake the bottle before you open it. Oil contains microscopic particles of copper, brass, and other metals. It is possible for it to sit on a shelf long enough to settle these important additives to the bottom of the bottle.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
I worked for a Texaco jobber for ten years and in that time got to see lots of non-public info on various oils that were tested against Texaco products.

Two brands I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole are Quaker State and Amalie. I've personally seen engines torn down that looked like they were filled with wax that ran these oils. Conoco motor oils were very sub-standard as well. Also, be wary of 'recycled' motor oils. Some companies do a decent job of this and some simply filter burnt oil, add some fresh base to it and rebottle it.

Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, and Texaco Havoline (for gas engines) or Ursa (for diesel engines) are my preferred choices for conventional motor oils. Mobil One is a great synthetic. I've put 1000 hard hours on a Polaris Ranger on my ranch and haven't ever had to add oil between changes on a 100 hour cycle. Exxon had a really good oil as well (Supra?), but I think it's been discontinued since Mobil bought them out.

Dealer oil brands like Motorcraft are made by what ever oil company they contract with. For many years Texaco had the Ford contract, but I don't know who has it now. Whoever makes the oil would blend it to Ford's specs.

Also, it is NOT advisable to mix oil brands in an engine. Not all additives are compatible. Some oils, when mixed, will 'clabber'. It looks a lot like clabbered milk. Try to pick an oil you like and stay with it.

One last tip an oil engineer gave me once: when you add oil, be it motor oil, trans oil, etc., shake the bottle before you open it. Oil contains microscopic particles of copper, brass, and other metals. It is possible for it to sit on a shelf long enough to settle these important additives to the bottom of the bottle.
That is great info. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel....best stuff out there. not cheap. but neither is my truck. or me.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by VocaTexas
Why the hell would I want ANY additional metals in my oil??? Pretty sure the whole point of a filter is to get all particles of metal OUT of the oil...

Old 03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Zinc and Phosphorus are solids and they belong in the oil.

I primarily use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 AM
wmbeattie
Freshman User
I've seen warnings about additives that have to be shaken before adding,don't use them! I don't know of anything in motor oils that will settle. Different brands will mix without a problem. The U.S. Military demands that oils they buy be compatable. Uncle Sam buys a lot of oil so it's best to do what he says. I've mixed brands and changed brands many times in my F250. At 177 thousand miles it purrs like a cat in the kitchen when I cook bacon.

Quick Reply: Whats your oil of choice?