Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Vehicles with 20" wheels, Your thoughts !

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:00 AM
wayneo
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what someone esle thought about the cars riding around town with 20" wheels....

Old 04-14-2003, 02:46 AM
dassmoof
Senior User

Theres some kid at my school thats got a $50000 GMC Denali, with 'dub's and street tires on it.
I think it's an honest to goodness joke. It looks stupid (The big wheels) and what are you going to do with an SUV/Truck that has street tires? Race it? Please...

There is a nice F-350 at school though too, one with a custom front bumper with a warn winch in it. It's pretty cool - needs bigger tires than it's got on it though. It looks like it's got a lift, but stock 31"s or whatever they put on Super Dutys stock. Needs bigger tires, heh heh.

Anyway, 20" rims just look stupid. Unless of course you're sporting 44" boggers

Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 AM
BobbyL
Senior User

I like dropped trucks sitting on dubs. I especially like the ones on airbags that drop the frame to the pavement when they stop. Sweet.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:20 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thumbs down Vehicles with 20" wheels, Your thoughts !

I think these kids need to grow up. Take my little brother: he gets a Chevy S10 "Extreme", and 24 hours a day he's mulling over how many different ways he can rice it out. He wants big wheels, he wants a centerforce clutch, he wants an LED exhaust pipe, he wants a 2" drop. The list goes on.

Funny thing, though - his check engine light came on. He hasn't even had the truck for a year. He asked me what was wrong, I told him "I don't know...that's why I drive a Ford"

Seriously, that thing's been to the dealer 3-4 times so far, and he's got under 5,000 miles on it.

XXL

Old 04-14-2003, 09:45 AM
NRAJOE
Thumbs down Vehicles with 20" wheels, Your thoughts !

But they ain't "all that".....

Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM
BobbyL
Senior User

Dropping a truck is a lot better than lifting one. When you lift a truck you end up raising the center of gravity and decreasing your ability to see cars on the side and directly behind your truck. I used to own a lifted 4x4 so I know. I have signed numerous petitions to make illegal suspension lifts or to make very stringent guidelines on how high a vehicle can be lifted. I will continue to be a advocate against lifting vehicles.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:40 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20" wheels are like small tractor rims...so leave them where they belong....on a tractor!!!

As far as my opinion on lift vs. lower, I say lift all the way!! Lowered vehicles end up with a lot of problems, especially on rough pavement or where there are speed bumps. Also, most of the folks I know at school who have lowered their trucks tell me they wish they had left it alone or had raised them, even 4x2's, because of problems dealing with getting to essential parts, such as the oil drain plug, tranny pan, and other items such as u-joints and grease points. Also, I have lost count of how many times I have seen body kits get ripped off on the speed bumps at school, it's funny to see a kid cryin' since all his fiberglass got torn off, and I'm drivin' on by in my stock height truck, no problems. Eventually I'm gonna lift mine, but it'll be a while. And if we keep the '84, I'm seriously thinking of lifting it, too, even though it is a 4x2.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Waxy
Postmaster

Originally posted by BobbyL
Dropping a truck is a lot better than lifting one. When you lift a truck you end up raising the center of gravity and decreasing your ability to see cars on the side and directly behind your truck. I used to own a lifted 4x4 so I know. I have signed numerous petitions to make illegal suspension lifts or to make very stringent guidelines on how high a vehicle can be lifted. I will continue to be a advocate against lifting vehicles.
BobbyL, I would strongly suggest you NEVER visit the SuperDuty Forum.

Waxy

Old 04-14-2003, 07:51 PM
66 Ranger
Elder User

What the heck are 'dubs'? I'm an old grey headed geezer and I think the 20" wheels on my 49 F-600 look fine since I repainted them black. I really like the Alcoa 22.5s on my Mack too, for that matter. I can't figure out why you would want to take a perfectly good car or truck and put those crappy looking oversize wheels on and have those little donut tires. They look like they ride like a horse drawn wagon. Out here the mexicans are putting standard offset wheels on their front wheel drive cars so that the tires stick way out past the fenders, looking like 'hot wheels'. I was in the local Ford dealership the other day and this guy was complaining about his front end needing work and he had a set up like this. Can't be safe. Now I do like, and own, a set of 14.00x36x16.5s on my 4x4. I only run them when the snow is deep or it's muddy. Ground clearance and flotation is what it's all about with them. It takes power to pull them and good brakes to stop them. 20s on a street vehicle indicates to me someone who has too much money and cannot think for himself. BAAAAAAA

Old 04-14-2003, 07:51 PM
powerstrokedreams
New User

Mmm...Bling Bling, baby.

....but not on a real truck!

Save it for the chebby avalanche, yoh.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by powerstrokedreams
Mmm...Bling Bling, baby.

....but not on a real truck!

Save it for the chebby avalanche, yoh.
I've already seen one of those!! Makes the ugly show even more!!

Old 04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's a joke..they just remind me of city folks....man you can't even see my hudcaps got 3 year old mud on them,hahaha......

Old 04-14-2003, 08:03 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

You're preaching to the wrong crowd, chief.

XXL

Old 04-14-2003, 08:22 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

Dropping a truck is better for what, bruising your kidneys? Lifting a truck makes it harder to see cars beside you? Well, I currently own a lifted 4x4 so I know that's absolutely WRONG. Granted I've seen some trucks lifted so high they look stupid, and can't be easy to drive. But to make lifts illegal? I think you need to go find a ricer forum to hang out in. If you don't want to drive a lifted truck, then don't. I would never want to drive a lowered truck, so I won't.

I think I'll start a petition to make lowering vehicles illegal. Anyone here want to sign it?

Old 04-14-2003, 08:52 PM
BobbyL
Senior User

18April2002 0300. One of my friends, one of my shipmates with whom I sailed halfway around the world and back died. He was riding his Yamaha motorcycle on I-5 S about 30 miles outside of Seattle. He was in the left lane when a Dodge 2500 he was passing merged into him. The truck had 6 inches of lift and was running 38 inches of tire. He mangled my friend so bad he had to be cremated. I was in the Honor Guard at his funeral. He was a kid. 18 years old and crushed by a truck that was lifted so high he couldn't be seen in the guys mirror. Don't tell me it can't happen or I'm wrong. If inflicting tragedy on other people gives you pleasure I will do everything in my power to make sure your lifted truck is off the road. It's one of the things I really care about. That Dodge should have been on a trailer and towed to a four wheeling site. On April 20 I sold my lifted truck. I don't want blood on my hands. Do you?