1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Black Friday Bah Humbug!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Friday Bah Humbug!!!

Haven't been around here much lately due to a crazy work schedule. Hope all had a good Thanksgiving.

Since protesting corporate greed is all the rage right now I've decided that I will do no shopping today and spend part of Black Friday pursuing my sanity saving hobby of old Ford trucks. We are parting out a 77 Ford and will be loading up scrap metal to haul to the "recycling center" aka the junk yard.

Are any of you FTE fanatics also protesting corporate greed today?

Have a good one all!

Rob

Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
I've also foregone the Black Friday chaos by scoring 2 of the Blu-Ray players Walmart had in their circular on-line yesterday morning. I think somebody forgot to disable the link. Either way, I got the F100 out for its second drive yesterday so that we could take our annual Christmas picture picture with the truck(every year, we have a "themed" Christmas picture we send to family and friends, this year, we threw in the truck). This is not our Christmas picture, but it shows my steel building my father-in-law and I put up about 3 years ago along with some of North GA's mountains.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Black Friday?? A good day to stay home and wrench on the truck...

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
My wife was telling me about some of the women she works with and how they were gearing up to start shopping at 12 midnight today. I think anyone who goes shopping today is totally nuts. Anyone who gets up at before the crack of dawn to shop should be committed, or at least forced to seek counseling. I am saying this in all seriousness. I hate shopping to begin with and there's no way I'm going Christmas shopping today.

As for corporate greed, I've been waging my own front on corporate greed for the last 2 years. Not on purpose, it's just been a way of life. I don't have the money I don't buy from corporations. I personally would do anything to counter the smelly urine drenched goofs "occupying" the parks.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to protest, I have to work. I will have to face the crowds some time this weekend to buy parts to repair my daily drivers. I also have to finish cutting up the panel truck, I have to get it down to the scrap yard some time next week to make room in my shop so I can do more work that I'm not getting paid for.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm working, they're dropping price's like crazy up here to keep our shoppers from crossing the border. With 2 kids in hockey I can't even afford to pay attention!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
My wife was telling me about some of the women she works with and how they were gearing up to start shopping at 12 midnight today. I think anyone who goes shopping today is totally nuts. Anyone who gets up at before the crack of dawn to shop should be committed, or at least forced to seek counseling. I am saying this in all seriousness. I hate shopping to begin with and there's no way I'm going Christmas shopping today.

As for corporate greed, I've been waging my own front on corporate greed for the last 2 years. Not on purpose, it's just been a way of life. I don't have the money I don't buy from corporations. I personally would do anything to counter the smelly urine drenched goofs "occupying" the parks.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to protest, I have to work. I will have to face the crowds some time this weekend to buy parts to repair my daily drivers. I also have to finish cutting up the panel truck, I have to get it down to the scrap yard some time next week to make room in my shop so I can do more work that I'm not getting paid for.
my wife is one of those.. loves to be out there with the rest of the 'crazies'... this year I stayed home and sat the grandkids while Wife, Son and Daughter-in-law went out.. wife & Dil left at 9pm, son at 2:30am, all got back at 6am.

probably will not get to wrenching til Sunday. Power Steering hoses to make,. Trany cross member to drill for and bolt in. Tranny pan to dump and change.. cooler lines to make..

Sam

Old 11-25-2011, 10:07 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I buy 99% of my hobby needs on-line as I detest crowded parking lots and long lines; also there is nowhere to shop amongst the red rocks (good thing) and the fact that we have a 10.1% sales tax in AZ.

Problem is I have too many hobbies, all of which are not cheap. Fortunately, my involvement follows a biorhythmic cycle where my interests in them come and go.

I’m now in gun nut mode and it looks like the bug will last at least till the end of the year. Unfortunately, you can not mail order guns (without an FFL), so that means I’ll be headed to Prescott, where Whiskey Row and rodeos still exist; not to mention thirty or more gun shops. A Walther P38 is there that has my name on it.

I figure if you guys can have trucks rusting in your hay fields, then I can have a gun in every drawer. I just consider it a different type of “old iron”.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:44 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
At this stage in my life, the last place I would like to be today is shopping . My peace of mind is more important to me. Besides, today is the day we are having a memoriel service for my Dad who passed on 10/31. My wife and I started our shopping several weeks ago.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Tom/Carnut,
You have a great looking truck but that's not what's making me jealous - that garage looks like the Taj Mahal - What's in the bump out? Some might want more truck pics - I'd like to see the inside of that garage! day
Looking good over there in North Georgia.

All is good today - The Longhorns won on a last second field goal & so did the Cowboys. Ahhhh...

Ben in Austin

Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
For me, to think of a friend or family member to buy a gift for, I do not wait until the day after Thanksgiving to buy it. I see something of interest that a friend/family member might want, and I buy it at that point in time. A sale on Black Friday is not a gift for the recipient, it's a gift to yourself by saving money. But that's just me.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Today is a great example of how depraved we are as a society. Assaults, pepper spray, gunshots, just to save a couple of bucks on a waffle maker that will rot in the cupboard somewhere. It's not just sad. it's sick. Lord help us.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The really sad part is: All this stuff people are fighting for, most of it comes from overseas.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:21 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I've been hearing the stories of the store attacks, just amazing. There's no way a sane logical and civilized person can think there is any justification for any of it.

On a daily basis we're barraged with ads telling us we need the latest and greatest. Every year it seems the advertising starts earlier, I saw the Christmas decorations going up in one local big box store at the end of September, it was 80° outside and I was wearing shorts. I'm glad I don't have the desire to have the very best and am able to accomplish what I do with what I have. It also helps not to have the finances to rush out and buy everything.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
It also helps not to have the finances to rush out and buy everything.
Pretty sure that's why credit cards were invented...

Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Great pic Carnut!

Got back back a little while ago from the farm and loading up the trailer with the cut up parts of the truck we are parting out. Dad got the Ford NAA tractor out and we towed the now rare convertible (cut the top off) 77 Ford Camper Special truck under cover so we can finish parting out. Found out the 460 turns over so I am hoping I can sell that.

A great day (60 & sunny) on the midwestern prairie! Always great to work with my Dad and get away for awhile. I think you all know what I mean!

Quick Reply: Black Friday Bah Humbug!!!