Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
just installed a powertrax locker in my E350

i have an 87 E350 with the 6.9 and a dana 60 with 3.54 gears, and had been wanting to get a locking diff for some time. so i bought myself a powertrax no-slip locker, which is like their lock-right but designed more for on-road use.
for the install, i looked at the instructions that came with it, and found a few challenges to overcome. first, it showed doing the install with the diff still installed in the axle, which looked real nice until i found out the that cross-shaft can't be removed until the ring gear is removed. so i pulled it out and set it on the bench. the manual i looked up online made that look like a hard job, as it showed a special tool to stretch the axle housing to gain clearance, then using 2 prybars to get it out. looked like a nightmare. but i picked up a little 24" prybar and next thing you know i've got the carrier falling out right on top of a full drain pan of 90wt, spilling it everywhere.
once the carrier was on the bench, it was all straightforward from there, follow instructions and it all goes together real easily. i put the carrier back in the axle without too much fight (besides trying to get this heavy thing in position above me), torqued everything, tested for proper operation as described in the installation manual, and put the cover on. because i just had to, i then picked up one wheel with a bottle jack, fired up the truck, and put it in gear. it drove off the ramps real smooth, as if i didn't even have a wheel up. then i realized i hadn't added oil yet, backed up onto the ramps again (with some wheel spin), filled it with new 80w90, and then went for a test drive.
I LOVE IT!! no more one-wheel spin. pulling off the road into a gravel lot at 10MPH, i went WOT for about 20 feet, then backed off, and stopped to inspect the marks in the road. both wheels threw gravel equally from there, i turned around so i was facing downhill, stuck it in reverse (still on gravel), and again went WOT for a second. again, both tires left equal damage to the road.
from there, i went back to pavement, pulling corners in the neighborhood, and experienced some slipping of the inside wheel on turns when under moderate throttle, as the owners manual said i should expect and compensate for. under light throttle in the same corners, its smooth as the open diff was.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:23 PM
New User

dtlockard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Josh - been looking at one of those for myself. Don't know if you are from a part of the world that gets snow and ice but if you are I would really like to read a report once you have some time to play in it with your powertrax. tia
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Senior User

smalltrucker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlockard View Post
Josh - been looking at one of those for myself. Don't know if you are from a part of the world that gets snow and ice but if you are I would really like to read a report once you have some time to play in it with your powertrax. tia
I had one in my 4x4 Ranger for 35K miles, my Winter DD, and loved it. Bought another one for the 4x2. Lot easier with the 8.8 rear end.
Dave
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
i live in the mountains outside seattle, so i get some *real* snow and a lot of the seattle slushy mess. this mess is why people from "real snow" country look at seattle drivers as a hopeless bunch, while really 2 inches of slush is worse than 2 feet of compact snow/ice.
that said, i will post back after i have a chance to really play with it, both in the mountains and in the city
so far its been great, pulled a few 2-wheel burnouts on gravel, and am working to adjust myself to avoid having it locked up while turning on pavement - have to go real easy on the throttle or it stays locked and the inside wheel has to spin to keep up. but the owners info instructed us about that, so can't complain there. and when that does happen its not the end of the world, just unnecessary tire wear
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM
New User

dtlockard is starting off with a positive reputation.
josh - I'm about 900 miles north of you on the coast so I know about slush! We had 14" of new snow a couple of days ago and my recently purchased '05 E350 can definitely use some help. I look forward to your report.

smalltrucker - thanks for the feedback
Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Senior User

Rick1025 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The reason for the tool to spread the housing, is to put the correct preload on the carrier bearings.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Postmaster

update:

running on this locker so far has been great. regarding reports of understeer, its minimal with how i drive, the only time i ever really noticed it was pulling out of a left-turn in the snow when the power switched to the other wheel, causing a bit of unexpected steering, but even that wasn't bad. overall, i still love it.
as for overall performance, on sunday we had about a foot of snow, and i happened to get home right behind my parents in their toyota 4x4. our driveway is uphill and has some nice corners to it. they made it up on the 3rd pass with bare tires, then i went for it. i also made it on the 3rd try, also with bare tires. another benefit i found was that when backing down between attempts, and you start getting out of the ruts, just put it back in drive, spin the tires, and it finds the ruts all by itself, then you back down till it happens again and repeat. in my F250 4x4, that was always a challenge to get back in the ruts, as i couldn't cause that sideslip.

in the city, the roads were nasty ice on sunday afternoon, and i drove just fine through many places where 1-wheel-drives weren't going anywhere. just once i got challenged for a moment, forced to stop on an uphill, but even there i got going with nothing more than a little rocking back and forth

looks like we'll have snow for awhile here, nearly 2 feet now with at least this much more forecasted for the next couple days, so i'll likely post again as i have more time to play with it
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
I'm a big fan of posi or locker diffs in big vans; they have gotten me through a lot of ugly Michigan winters. I got an Eaton posi installed in my '02 E150 van right after I bought it new in March of 2003 and have never been stuck. I have gotten through a lot of stuff where other vehicles had major problems.

I also had an Auburn limited slip unit installed in my old '86 GMC van and that got me through a lot of stuff. Much cheaper than 4WD, which you really can't get in a van without a major and expensive mechanical conversion anyway.

Good report,
George
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Junior User

rebar13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im trying to decide which locker I want..

I tow a 24' featherlite toyhauler (6800 dry) with a 95 E350 equipped with a cummins turbo and nv4500 manual 5sp trans. The dana 60 is a full floater and I would like posi traction to keep me rolling through mud, wet grass, maybe a bit of hill climbing. I considered a ARB selectable air-locker, but wonder if that's overkill and potentially dangerous for my family who might forget to turn it off.

Thoughts on which posi rear is best for me?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar13 View Post
Im trying to decide which locker I want..

I tow a 24' featherlite toyhauler (6800 dry) with a 95 E350 equipped with a cummins turbo and nv4500 manual 5sp trans. The dana 60 is a full floater and I would like posi traction to keep me rolling through mud, wet grass, maybe a bit of hill climbing. I considered a ARB selectable air-locker, but wonder if that's overkill and potentially dangerous for my family who might forget to turn it off.

Thoughts on which posi rear is best for me?
I'm not sure what apps they make for the Dana 60 in your year, but I would vote for a full time limited slip instead of a full locker to avoid any danger. I have an Eaton posi in my current E150, and in the past had an Auburn limited slip in an '86 GMC van. Both of them got me thru everything I attempted to get through. I know the Truetrac is also highly regarded.

So I vote for a traditional limited slip depending on what's available. I think these are cheaper than the air lockers as well.

George
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Junior User

Im starting to lean in the limited slip direction not because of cost but safely.. But I'm just unclear on which one is the best. I want something which disengages in the corners easy but locks up when I start to spin with one wheel. I also need it for traction going down steep hills.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Im starting to lean in the limited slip direction not because of cost but safely.. But I'm just unclear on which one is the best. I want something which disengages in the corners easy but locks up when I start to spin with one wheel. I also need it for traction going down steep hills.
What's available for a Dana 60 in your application? I don't keep up with availability but have had good luck with my Eaton posi (had it installed in my 8.8 axle when my '02 E150 was new) and an Auburn unit in my old '86 GMC van. The Eaton does chatter a bit on wet pavement but it just reminds me it's there.

The Eaton has replaceable clutches and I have owned a number of old GM muscle cars which had Eaton posi's in my younger years, spending summers at the dragstrips. (Olds 442, couple Corvettes.) Actually, I had two Chrysler 426 Hemi cars with Dana 60's but these were 1968 and 1970 cars; I don't even remember what limited slip units they had--did Dana make their own posi unit? They sure worked fine.

George
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
What's available for a Dana 60 in your application? did Dana make their own posi unit? They sure worked fine.

George
I wish I knew.. Or had some input on the differences on the limited slip units..
Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
I wish I knew.. Or had some input on the differences on the limited slip units..
Well, you should find an online drivetrain sales place or three, find the different units available for your particular application, and either list them here for feedback or research them on your own.

This is what I have done....so I know very well what's out there for a 31 spline 8.8" Ford axle. It's all out there for you. Google is your friend

Good luck,
George
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Postmaster

i'm happy with my powertrax, and its been about a year and a half, with roughly 60k miles in that time. its a fully automatic unit, locking and unlocking as needed. only time its imperfect is when i'm throttle-happy on a tight corner and chirp the inside tire, but many drivers do that on other diffs too, so it is what it is. i would happily buy it again
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM