6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Oil Burping Out of Dipstick Tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:30 PM
miket54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Burping Out of Dipstick Tube

I had a 2011 F-350 6.7L Powerstroke with 35,000 miles on it. The morning after coming home from a long trip I noticed some oil spots on my driveway under my truck. When I opened the hood I saw the dipstick sticking out of the tube about 6-8 inches. There was oil on the on the bottom side of the hood and on top of the engine. I also noticed that the o-ring on the dipstick handle was gone. I checked the oil level and it was still in the safe area just a little bit lower than when I checked it before the trip. I spoke to three Ford dealerships and they told me it would be two weeks before they could look at it and 4-5 weeks if it was something major. I could not be down that long so I traded the truck in on a 2012. I never had any trouble with this truck before this. I bought it Aug. 2010. I never did anything but drive this truck. It did not have any mods or chips. I was told by two different service managers that I should be able to put the dipstick in the bed of the truck and never leak a drop of oil. Has anyone else seen this problem.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:38 PM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
I just read a TSB about the dipstick o ring needing replacing on some trucks. There is no way some oil in mist form would not escape from the tube with no dipstick in it. Service Managers are wrong.

Found the info from a thread on Dieselstop: 3948 - 6.7L DIESEL - ENGINE OIL DIPSTICK CREEP OR DIFFICULT TO REMOVE
SOME 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES, BUILT BEFORE 6/1/2010, MAY EXHIBIT ENGINE OIL
DIPSTICK CREEP WHILE DRIVING OR MAY BE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE
DIPSTICK O-RING RETENTION TO THE OIL DIPSTICK TUBE. AN UPDATED CABLE STYLE DESIGN, PART
NUMBER BC3Z-6750-B, IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR SERVICE. EARLY LEVEL DIPSTICKS CAN BE EASILY
IDENTIFIED BY THEIR BLADE STYLE DESIGN. TIP: WHEN CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL WITH EITHER
DIPSTICK DESIGN STYLE ON THIS ENGINE, THE ENGINE MUST SIT 20 MINUTES AFTER KEY OFF TO
ALLOW ADEQUATE TIME FOR THE ENGINE OIL TO RETURN TO THE OIL PAN. FAILURE TO WAIT 20
MINUTES WILL RESULT IN THE OIL LEVEL INDICATION BEING LOW.

Last edited by stsmark; 11-24-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-24-2011, 04:58 PM
miket54
Freshman User
I agree about the mist but I don't know what happened to the O-ring. I t was there when I checked the oil before I left on the trip and it came off somehow during the trip. I traded it in because they did not have an O-ring or new dipstick and they could not be sure of the problem until they looked at it in two weeks. This was the same story at three different dealerships in my area. I was not sure so I did not want to drive it to far and I need the truck for my business.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Those old dipstick's would stick so bad sometimes,that when you did get it pulled out the oring would split and fall off. i have seen several.Sometimes they wouldn't get put it all the way, and would creep out. I think Epic or Ruttcutter had one come out and blew oil everywhere.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:41 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford dealers may not of had the oring in stock, but I am sure most hardware stores in the country had them in stock.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM
miket54
Freshman User
I tried three different parts houses with no luck on that day.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by miket54
I tried three different parts houses with no luck on that day.
Did you take a bath trading that in?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hdslider
Those old dipstick's would stick so bad sometimes,that when you did get it pulled out the oring would split and fall off. i have seen several.Sometimes they wouldn't get put it all the way, and would creep out. I think Epic or Ruttcutter had one come out and blew oil everywhere.
What happen to the 1st 11 you had that ford bought it back?

Thanks
Bob

Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Bobmurp1 ck pm.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by miket54
I had a 2011 F-350 6.7L Powerstroke with 35,000 miles on it. The morning after coming home from a long trip I noticed some oil spots on my driveway under my truck. When I opened the hood I saw the dipstick sticking out of the tube about 6-8 inches. There was oil on the on the bottom side of the hood and on top of the engine. I also noticed that the o-ring on the dipstick handle was gone. I checked the oil level and it was still in the safe area just a little bit lower than when I checked it before the trip. I spoke to three Ford dealerships and they told me it would be two weeks before they could look at it and 4-5 weeks if it was something major. I could not be down that long so I traded the truck in on a 2012. I never had any trouble with this truck before this. I bought it Aug. 2010. I never did anything but drive this truck. It did not have any mods or chips. I was told by two different service managers that I should be able to put the dipstick in the bed of the truck and never leak a drop of oil. Has anyone else seen this problem.
Really? You traded in a $40k truck for a $50k truck, for a $2.95 O-ring?

You may want to check out a good source for O-rings O-Rings - SummitRacing.com

Unless all of a sudden one of your rings on a piston failed, and you're getting blowback, which can be tested for, that was one financially poor move.

I think you just wanted a 2012 truck. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited by Powerdude; 11-24-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2011, 08:32 PM
GCLL
Senior User
I'm waiting for Mike to say this is a joke.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by Powerdude
Really? You traded in a $40k truck for a $50k truck, for a $2.95 O-ring?

You may want to check out a good source for O-rings O-Rings - SummitRacing.com

Unless all of a sudden one of your rings on a piston failed, and you're getting blowback, which can be tested for, that was one financially poor move.

I think you just wanted a 2012 truck. To each his own, I guess.
I was going to post the same thin, but held off. Agree......

Old 11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
The dipstick did indeed blow out on my truck once. It happened during a long, hard pull towing a heavy trailer over a mountain pass. I attributed the blow-out to me simply not reinserting the dipstick fully after checking it once. And yes, it was a mess. Took several tries with degreaser and the power wash to get it off but it eventually came off. I just made sure to fully seat the dipstick in the tube and haven't had a problem since.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Indigofarm
Senior User
I spoke to three Ford dealerships and they told me it would be two weeks before they could look at it and 4-5 weeks if it was something major. I could not be down that long so I traded the truck in on a 2012.

Holy cow
And holy cow I am glad I have a good dealership

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm. I had to read the OP three times to make sure I was understanding it. Really, a new truck because the dipstick popped out. I don't think I could get my lovely wife to bite on that one but what the heck I will add to the "reasons I need a new truck" list.

Quick Reply: Oil Burping Out of Dipstick Tube