Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
New User

westcoastdiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
03 6.0 l starts fine idles very rough and no power

hey ive got an 03 f250 superduty and a few weeks ago i was driving home pulled to the side of the road to get a phone call and my truck sounded like it was missfiring and started to shake very rough so i quickly got it home and it barely made it up hills with no power at all, took it to the mechanic and he said it was my wiring harness, so i replaced it and it took weeks to get here and i finally get it in and my truck still seems to be missfiring ad idleing very rough, i replaced my oil less then 1000km ago and ive had 2 injectors replaced. ive talked to a few diesel mechs and he recomended to put some hot shots in it and see if that helps it out. i know some people out there hate hot shots so dont turn this into a hate forum, i would just like any helpful information thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior User

BobbyB is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Many people have had success with RevX also.
2004 F-250 Crew Cab FX4 6.0 Diesel- Dieselsite Coolant Filter, HFCM drain plug upgrade, Moog Greaseable ball joints, Chrome Grill Guard, Cruiser Alloy aluminum wheels, B.F. Goodrich T/A 285/65R18, Valley Stow-A-Ball Gooseneck, Cat Delete, Rotella ELC, Custom-Diesel EGR delete, blue spring fuel pressure upgrade, fresh oil cooler 10/16/11, MKM Customs 05-07 grill, Keystone Restyling Ram Air hood, Scangauge II
Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
Many people have had success with RevX also.

I agree, I think you should forgo any real troubleshooting like checking your FICM voltage and jump straight to adding RevX to fix a stiction problem you clearly don't have...

2004 F350 6.0. Lariat FX4. Other assorted cars/bikes.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastdiesel View Post
ive talked to a few diesel mechs and he recomended to put some hot shots in it and see if that helps it out. i know some people out there hate hot shots so dont turn this into a hate forum, i would just like any helpful information thanks!

Hot shots won't help you AT ALL. You need to pull the codes and troubleshoot. Sounds like your HPOP/STC is leaking, an injector grenaded, your FICM voltage is low (your mechanic might have also broke the FICM harness), starving for fuel (perhaps pulling in air) etc.. If you post back with a little more info the guys on here can walk you through any problem these engines develop.

Side note: In the future, consult with better mechanics, even the dumbest mechanics know enough not to troubleshoot with oil additives, that's like putting 'Radiator Stop Leak' in a leaking radiator instead of replacing the radiator....

2004 F350 6.0. Lariat FX4. Other assorted cars/bikes.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
New User

thanks for your replys, i put the hot shots in and my trucks starting smoother and is more responsive, but it still sounds like its not idleling proplerly. i am taking it to get codes pulled tomorow and will know a little more then. i am suspecting my ficm is not putting out enough voltage.
some of the things going on are hesitation and not very much power on take off after it gets up a gear or 2 it seems to have power or if i really step on the gas it seems to go a little better. so i think it is starving for fuel and may have a rough injector, hopefully some codes will pop up tomorow and i will know more. there is a little blueish white smoke on cold morning start ups but i live right on the west coast so its very humid here and it only hapens once in awhile.
thank you for responding with good information and i look forward to trouble shooting her problems, i just miss my truck!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
Dude you have injector problems , you just need to find out which one. I just went though the same thing , you also need to check FICM voltage it will do what yours is doing if the volts are low. Have it checked for codes.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 PM
New User

yeah iam pretty sure its my injectors and ficm too, but i have heard that the ficm wont send codes youve just gota check it with a volt meter and make sure its putting out 48v im pretty sure. as for the injectors thats what im thinking to i replaced one a few months ago and it was only the one sending codes, i do believe i need an injector but the way my truck is missfiring i believe is my ficm not sending out enough volts. i am brining it to have codes done tomorow and i will have my ficm checked.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Posting Guru

gatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to beholdgatormccluskey is a splendid one to behold
Try this. I know everybody is going to jump on my butt for this. I have a customer that had the samething. I pulled the EGR sensor and cleaned it. If it is gumed up and alot of crab on it, clean it. It worked for a while. I did the EGR delete. Also carry the intake and have it cleaned at a radiator shop. Just dont do the EGR delete, clean the crab out of the intake. O.K. boys tell me how wrong I am. Just my .02
(1997 F-250 - 7.3) (2000 7.3)
(1996 F 250 - 7.3) (1999 F-250 - 7.3) (1986 250)
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
I'm not going to gig ya gator. EGR valve cleaning is a quick, no cost thing to check and I like to work like that (on my vehicles). Definitely could be contributing to his problem and even if not, it's still good preventative maintenance. A good cleaning of the intake while it's off-or so close to it- for a EGR cooler delete is important and often skipped step also. Only possible problem I see is, with the op's screen name he's likely going to have to keep his EGR system working for emission testing.
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM
New User

took it to mechanic to pull codes, very long story short. its my #1 injector, i new this from the begining waste of 50$. but whats odd is i just had that injector ireplaced a few months ago and its under warrenty still so im getting a free one, iam curious to why it failed again, thinkin it might be the egr eating them
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
How would the EGR system eat an injector?

The EGR system only dumps exhaust gas into the intake manifold. The injector system (fuel to the cylinders) is not connected.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
If its eating injectors more likely a Low fuel pressure problem
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Postmaster

Snuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to beholdSnuggyworm is a splendid one to behold
snuggyworm snuggyworm Snuggyworm
hey guys, arent our 6.0s running off a common rail system? if so, could tat be a possible problem as to why it keeps killing the injector or injectors?

to the op, i gotta agree wif mark there. how can an egr system eat an injector? they're not even together. egr = exhaust gas recirculation. injector = well, it's an injector for fuel. btw, it dont make no sense to me neither. sounds like wiping my *** before i poop. it dont make no sense. i tink we might be sliding away from ur problem.

the key thing in any problem is to determine EXACTLY wat problem it may be, or at least close to it to make an educated guess. i'm glad u spotted the 1st injector as the supposed problem, but please bear in mind tat wif our 6.0s, it could also be a bunch of things together. hence, tats why the guys here mentioned about testing ur ficm, possible low ficm voltage, possible low fuel pressure, might need to do a fuel pressure regulator upgrade (blue spring), etc etc.

it's a process of elimination until u center round the problem. in the meantime, by doing those tests which can be found in our tech folders, ur simply ruling out the possibility tat this may be the prob or tat could be the prob.... yada yada.....

i wish u luck in solving ur probs. hope the injector was the only prob. best of luck.
Ravelco, Updated HFCM Plug, ScanGauge II, Blue Spring, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter & Intake Elbow, Updated STC, SP & DP, Upgraded FICM (6/14/12), PMM EGR Delete (5/13/13), Updated Turbo Oil Line & Drainpipe, Shell ELC, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Steering Stabilizer & Front Coils, Moog Ball Joints, Magnefine P.S. Filter, Jimmi Jammers, Fumoto, Riffraff Boots, 08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Mag-Hytec Front
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
New User

yea i was kinda shooting in the dark with the egr. i need to test my ficm i have had it at the shop 2 times and told them mechanics to check it and both time they told me no its fine, kinda thought i pay them to do what i say but apparently not. so i am going to get a voltmeter and do it myself, since the knew injector it runs awesome i love my turbo. it still seems to have some issues with it, it never ends haha. so the knew problems on the go:

somtimes when driving going about 80km when it shifts the rpms stick at around 1500 and when i push down it just sounds like it sticks and whistles. it will only unstick if i floor it and it revs like crazy and shifts or if i let off the pedal and let the rpms go down ghen back on the gas.
also somtimes when going down a hill and i apply the brakes the front end shakes, i have looked it up and it seems like i might have a rust problem. i just got new tires and iam going to look into that when i switch them over.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 2001, 54l, 60, diesel, duty, f250, ford, idels, mornings, power, rough, runs, star, super