Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
MyName1sMud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio -- Speakers behind seats

Can anyone help me out with this?

I've got the 1979 F-150 Ranger XLT.

What speaker set up do yall have behind your seats? I was guessing I need some type of 6x9 speaker in a box. The dash speaker is blown so I've got to replace that still but I wanted a bit more sound in there.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If that's the case then removing the dash to replace the speaker isn't necessary, it's a lousy location. Our trucks have a place in the doors for 6" speakers. You can see the grill covers on the lower front of the door panels. You need to be careful removing the door panels as to not damage the plastic clip holders. They hold the door panels onto the doors.

There will be lots of choices for behind the seat, I think. I haven't decided what is best yet. I will be following this thread too...

Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 PM
wodges
New User
Speakers

I have a set of 6" x 9" speakers in boxes I made 20 years ago and 6" speakers in the doors and the system sounds great. I build custom boxes for a sound shop now and plan on redoing mine someday. The speakers behind the seat have extra cable and can be pulled out to sit in the bed for sunny days at the beach.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:01 PM
MyName1sMud
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldStyle
If that's the case then removing the dash to replace the speaker isn't necessary, it's a lousy location. Our trucks have a place in the doors for 6" speakers. You can see the grill covers on the lower front of the door panels. You need to be careful removing the door panels as to not damage the plastic clip holders. They hold the door panels onto the doors.

There will be lots of choices for behind the seat, I think. I haven't decided what is best yet. I will be following this thread too...

I've been looking at the doors and I was swearing it looked like there should be some speakers in there.... but being there wasn't any wires running into the doors I figured there wasn't any room. Go figure! haha

Originally Posted by wodges
I have a set of 6" x 9" speakers in boxes I made 20 years ago and 6" speakers in the doors and the system sounds great. I build custom boxes for a sound shop now and plan on redoing mine someday. The speakers behind the seat have extra cable and can be pulled out to sit in the bed for sunny days at the beach.
Great Idea! thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:54 PM
MyName1sMud
Senior User
Originally Posted by wodges
What are the measurements on your boxes? I want to try and build some myself. They look like they are pricey already done for you.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I also have boxed 6x9's behind my seat:

Old 11-26-2011, 04:07 PM
moparman19
Freshman User
im putting one sundown sa-12 on a sundown saz-1500d behind my seat and i need to get something built for some components. i might not have room to do anything for 6.5 components. do you plan on putting anything besides 2 mids behind the seat?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM
joogie22
Freshman User
if your lookin for alot of boom check this out, Walmart.com: Atrend-Bbox A312-10CP B Box Series Subwoofer Boxes: Auto Electronics ...
im thinkin of gettin one for my truck

if thats to much "boom" they sell the 6x9 boxes at wal-mart too. $20 or so Walmart.com: Scosche 6" x 9" Speaker Enclosures, 2pk: Auto Electronics

Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
i ran a single 10" flat pioneer subwoofer behind the seat of my highboy, it bumped some bluegrass and country pretty damn good. it's in my 99 f350 crewcab now...not as loud. in the process of putting in a pair of tens in the f250 for this years mud season. oh yeah i took the cab tank out & i have 6 1/2 infinity speakers in the doors.httpLink to this video:

://youtu.be/jmz5zAGqsMQ

Last edited by 73ferdf250highboy; 11-26-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 AM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I put two 4x10 Kickers in the center console I built. Those, along with the 5 1/4" door speakers give me plenty of bass. They're not cheap(normally), but they work great.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
My dad used to have wedge boxes behind the seat in his '78 with mids and tweeters. they sounded decent by themselves. Like wodges said, we had ours on long leads so we could put them on the roof of the cab while we worked. If you want power, you could see about getting a small amp and attach it to the rear of the cab (behind the seat).

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
MyName1sMud
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldStyle
If that's the case then removing the dash to replace the speaker isn't necessary, it's a lousy location. Our trucks have a place in the doors for 6" speakers.
Just any 6" speaker should fit or will I need to buy an adapter too? I've never been into audio or rebuilding trucks for that matter.

new adventure for me!

Originally Posted by devino246
I put two 4x10 Kickers in the center console I built. Those, along with the 5 1/4" door speakers give me plenty of bass. They're not cheap(normally), but they work great.

5 1/4" in the doors? I'm guessing those must have came with a kit to make them fit in the 6" holes? Like I said before. I'm a new to this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by moparman19
im putting one sundown sa-12 on a sundown saz-1500d behind my seat and i need to get something built for some components. i might not have room to do anything for 6.5 components. do you plan on putting anything besides 2 mids behind the seat?
Nope. I don't really listen to any music that requires deep bass. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would be nice with bass is "Dark Side of the Moon". I'm in Mississippi. I don't really do much "hard rock" or "metal" music. Mainly only Southern Rock and Country (the older stuff) with a little bit of Rock N Roll mixed in there.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MyName1sMud
5 1/4" in the doors? I'm guessing those must have came with a kit to make them fit in the 6" holes? Like I said before. I'm a new to this sort of thing.

Nope. I don't really listen to any music that requires deep bass. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head that would be nice with bass is "Dark Side of the Moon". I'm in Mississippi. I don't really do much "hard rock" or "metal" music. Mainly only Southern Rock and Country (the older stuff) with a little bit of Rock N Roll mixed in there.
No idea. The PO had put speaker in that were falling apart. I just went to Wally World and bought standard 5 1/4" speakers, not knowing the appropriate size I had to drill new holes for the mounting screws, but they fit fine.

Any music sounds good with deep bass.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
MyName1sMud
Senior User
Originally Posted by devino246
No idea. The PO had put speaker in that were falling apart. I just went to Wally World and bought standard 5 1/4" speakers, not knowing the appropriate size I had to drill new holes for the mounting screws, but they fit fine.

Any music sounds good with deep bass.
I agree with the deep bass sound thing.... that's just extra $$$ money going towards something I could careless for.

Thanks for all the help so far people! This forum is a great resource.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I was calling them 6" because I have had them lying around for a few years and didn't measure them.... But as devino246 just said 5 1/4's fit with minimal effort.... Just putting the mounting screws where they need to be.

Get some good quality speakers so you only have to do this once up front.

Quick Reply: Audio -- Speakers behind seats