Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Postmaster

91dirtydiesel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So looks like I've hit a snag, is there an adapter on the crank for the e4od??? Zf flywheel doesn't fit and looking at my spare motor the crank looks a lot shorter. See pics

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

13 chrysler 300S - 5.7l hemi, flowmaster dual exhaust, lmi air hammer CAI, diablosport trinity tuner, JET 180 thermostat, window tint
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Postmaster

got it

Photobucket

13 chrysler 300S - 5.7l hemi, flowmaster dual exhaust, lmi air hammer CAI, diablosport trinity tuner, JET 180 thermostat, window tint
Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior User

bad a$$ roth is starting off with a positive reputation.
thats a spacer for the flexplate and u inadvertantly answered my question if i needed to use it with the flywheel. im in the middle of the same swap. tap it with a hammer and it should pop right off. i found it when i put my new flex plate in. over torqed the flexplate mounting bolts and snapped on inside it. started drilling it out and the bit slipped and pulled it right off...needless to say it scared the **** outta me bcause i thought the whole crankshaft was gonna do it. ivelearned alot over the past four months but try that and ask others. i never do anything till four people say the same thing and others agree............nevermind.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Postmaster

today got the e4od and tcase out, looked at my clutch/flywheel and compared it to my 93s old set up....looks like i have a LUK SMF got all that installed, (flywheel torque 75 ? pressure plate 25 ?) and got the new radiator in.

lil red sled being lazy not wanting to reach his hand up.....

Photobucket

skechy

Photobucket

worked

Photobucket

for sale

Photobucket

Photobucket

luk smf

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

old dmf

Photobucket

clutch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 11-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Posting Guru

crash1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crash1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
lookin good the 5 speed is well worth the trouble.
97 f350 crewcab 1ton dually flat bed ,120 IDM ,3" dp ,5" strait pipe,6637 air cleaner powerstroke 4x4 5speed conversion
email info@monstertruckrentals.com
Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmert View Post
Look threw this thread http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/94...-complete.html . Can't say that I like his choice of titles, but it has some good pics, of the DMF, and how to tell when they are done for.
Well he's right about that being a way to see if they are worn out, but completely clueless about why its shot and how it works. Some movement is normal though.

The clutch like material he found is just that, an overtorque prevention slip clutch. Its tensioned by belleville springs (washer like things). It is normally locked and has nothing to do with the flywheel turning a little back and forth. It will slip if overloaded to "protect" the flywheel or transmission. Supposedly it can over heat in certain situations (like when doing tight maneuvers with a heavy trailer). I'm not sure exactly how much its designed to slip, but after doing it a bit, it will wear out and slip when your truck is unloaded and going up a steep hill (because mine did and it sucked!!)

The plastic things that hold the springs in place will frequently wear down, or crack and break (like in the pictures). I had at least one that was completely broken off and one of the springs had been rattling around some, thats bad too. My guess is that the springs will fatigue over time and become a little shorter and that with wear on the plastic parts causes the excessive movement.

Also, a DMF can be taken apart with drilling out the rivets. It takes a couple screwdrivers to pry out the springs. Putting it back together like that is a pain in the ***, but doable.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Postmaster

snaponprofile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel View Post
Hope not, pulled it from the zf truck myself ? If it is the auto one then it was working fine ???
The one in you bed? Maybe I'm just seeing things, but a ZF crossmember is 3 pieces and looks rather different.
1992 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3 IDI 115K, 4X4, ZF5 S5-47 w/ 12inch clutch and SMF, Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo, 6637, BB injectors, rebuilt IP w/ fuel turned up, 3 inch DP, custom 3.5 inch exhaust with 4 inch tailpipe, 285/75/16R Yokohama's on PSD alcoas. Rebuilt D60 w/ firestone airbags. 10.25 sterling rear w/4:10's LS, Three pillar gauges with pyrometer, boost, and transmission temperature. Onboard air w/ 400C Viair. 16K rated B&W trailer hitch. Sound-tracker CB w/ 4 ft firestik.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Postmaster

U might be right snap....pics coming. Drilling was required for this one but defiantly not the same as the e4od one

Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Postmaster

Old 11-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Postmaster

wiring

left is the e4od, right is the zf5

Photobucket

transfer case to tranny

Photobucket

plug from the zf5 to main harness

Photobucket

t case speedo

Photobucket

by the 4x4 linkage

Photobucket

on the transmission

Photobucket

Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Posting Guru

crash1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.crash1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
thats one thing i like that ford did well on is my 90-91 harnes for the trany pluged right into my 97.
97 f350 crewcab 1ton dually flat bed ,120 IDM ,3" dp ,5" strait pipe,6637 air cleaner powerstroke 4x4 5speed conversion
email info@monstertruckrentals.com
Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Postmaster

snaponprofile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Not the same as mine but I guess they change in the years. In fact I like your design better, looks easier to install.
1992 Ford F-250 XLT 7.3 IDI 115K, 4X4, ZF5 S5-47 w/ 12inch clutch and SMF, Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo, 6637, BB injectors, rebuilt IP w/ fuel turned up, 3 inch DP, custom 3.5 inch exhaust with 4 inch tailpipe, 285/75/16R Yokohama's on PSD alcoas. Rebuilt D60 w/ firestone airbags. 10.25 sterling rear w/4:10's LS, Three pillar gauges with pyrometer, boost, and transmission temperature. Onboard air w/ 400C Viair. 16K rated B&W trailer hitch. Sound-tracker CB w/ 4 ft firestik.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Postmaster

What's this plug?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Senior User

bad a$$ roth is starting off with a positive reputation.
i agree with snapon...but mines 2wd. camt wait to c it done. keep up the good work.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
What's this plug?

Clutch interlock switch. It tells the truck when the clutch is pushed in. Useful for starting (so you don't run something over by accident) it takes the place of the neutral switch from an automatic transmission. Its also used by the cruise control to know when you've hit the clutch (and thus to stop the cruise from giving it fuel).
While not necessary if you don't have cruise control, its a good safety feature when starting.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1992, 8box, cab, caps, click, extended, f250, fiesta, ford, idi, instal, luk, oil, smf, stuck, turn