1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Oil bath vs. paper element air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil bath vs. paper element air filter

Oil bath vs. paper element air filter, which one's better?

Sam

Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I've read many times where the oil bath filters are actually more efficient than a paper filter, but they are messier and more difficult to service than just swapping out a dirty paper element. And paper obviously works plenty well enough as that is all that the OEM's have used for decades. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. I've not attempted it yet, but some guys are converting their oil bath housings to use a paper filter to combine ease of maintenance with a stock look.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Not that I have ever taken part in any such activities, but the big boys tell me that if you do any power turning with an oil bath filter it will slop out the side of it. That is just what I heard though. At my mild stage of life this is not an issue.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Haha, that's one way to make a mess! I don't think power turning will be an issue, but there are a lot of hills around here, so that might have the same effect... I'd like to keep the look (and functionality) of an oil bath, but, I might have to "dry it out" and convert it to a regular paper filter.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Paper filters were developed for folks who do not like to work with dirty stuff. They worked well for many years and many applications. They're still working on my tractors and my '56 F350. Many of them still doing the job efficiently.
Paper filters gives the manufacturer and aftermarket folks a way to sell a product where a cleaning and a small amount of oil makes the oil bath efficient and back on the job.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
I like the idea of no filters to buy, and I've always got all kinds of oil around this place. Do you think I would have any issues on the hills? Some of the hills around here are steep, there's a few spots with grades about 25%!

Sam

Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250
I like the idea of no filters to buy, and I've always got all kinds of oil around this place. Do you think I would have any issues on the hills? Some of the hills around here are steep, there's a few spots with grades about 25%!

Sam
Just like gasoline or diesel if used off road. You get out of designed angle of operation and you can expect a pickup problem. That said, I have never had an oil bath filter give me any problem but I do not do extreme off road. I've seen several oil bath filters where water is allowed to remain in the bottom of the oil bath and causes the bath tub to rust out, usually nothing more than pin holes. A bit of brazing and all is well again.
So far as service on the oil bath. I pour the oil into a clean container, wash the tub, pour the top of the oil from the container and top off with fresh oil. Since the oil never gets into the engine, any dirt remaining in the oil does no harm. You're just getting the sludge out of the bottom of the filter.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Belive it or not, these are paved city streets! The only concern I have that it would be enough to slosh the oil out of the air filter, unless that's steep enough to starve the engine... then I have some bigger issues!

And I appreciate your input, helps me make my decision.

Sam

Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 54 M-H ford 4X4 has been playing on hills that let me see only sky in front and all the crap in the box slid to the tail gate..not sure what 25% grade is but I know I couldn't walk up the hill I drove the truck up ..and the oil bath did not slop over it works fine and I am not about to change it ,so the slop is not a problem and cleaning is a twice a year with oil and filter changes ..so my vote is stay with the bath

Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
An oil bath air cleaner is not filled ot the brim. There's a fill line and is normally filled only enough to cover the bottom opening of the element. Shouldn't have over spilling on 25% grades.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Good to know!

I don't have one at the moment, might have to pick one up. If anyone has one in good shape that will fit the later 2 bbl carbs (I think the opening is 5" but not sure) I'd be interested.

Sam

Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
The conversion is simple to do, and if done right, you'll never tell from the outside. Here's a how-to thread I made a while back. For the few dollars a paper filter costs, you'll spend at least that much or more on solvent and rags every time you change the oil and clean the unit. That's my 2c.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-cleaner.html

Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250
Good to know!

I don't have one at the moment, might have to pick one up. If anyone has one in good shape that will fit the later 2 bbl carbs (I think the opening is 5" but not sure) I'd be interested.

Sam
I have an extra but it is for the older 94 type carb. I recently saw what you're looking for but CRS. I'll look around.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as the oil bath filters slopping over goes, the indicated fill level is with the engine off. When the engine is running, vacuum pulls the oil up into the filter element and coats it. The dirt sticks to the oil and is carried back down to the reservoir when the oil drains back when the engine cuts off. You'd probably have to park the truck on it's bumper for an extended time to spill any!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll check around the garage; might have a few oil bath filters.

Quick Reply: Oil bath vs. paper element air filter