Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
New User

rplarry is starting off with a positive reputation.
"83 6.9 valve guide seal replacement advice

This is my first post on the forum. I have been lurking for a while and have gotten a lot of good info here. Thanks for the forum.
I have an 83 F350 6.9 which I bought new, it has 112,000 miles on it. It is now using quite a bit of oil and during acceleration pukes out a tremendous amount of grey smoke. I have replaced the CDR but that was no help. I am now going to try replacing the valve guide seals and see if that helps cut down the oil consumption and smoking. The truck starts easily so I am hopefull that the compression is still OK. I don't have the tester to check it. The truck is in Baja, and lives there full time, it is now my "beater" truck. I have the Ford maintainence manual to guide me. I looked up the procedure and the book says to use a "valve spring compressor tool" T83T-6513-A, I don't have one, is this something that I could fabricate down here? I have a pretty complete shop. Next it says to install a seal guide on to the valve tip using tool T83T-6571-A using a light hammer, same question, is this tool something I could fabricate here?
My next question is which seals do I need? I see 2 different parts listed for the 6.9. First is a Felpro SS726281 Long oil sheild, and then there is a SS72628 Short oil sheild. I found these at RockAuto. How do I know which I need or maybe I should just buy both and bring them down.
Since I am doing this job about 400 miles away from the nearest reliable auto parts store I need to have everything with me when I get back here to do the job, so any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Larry
PS One thing I just noticed in the Ford maintainence manual is the illustration of the valve spring assembly shows a stem seal on the intake valve , but no seal on the exhaust valve, did they originally come without a seal on the exhaust valve? The only thing that has ever been done to this enging is right after I bought the truck Ford did a recall and as I remember they replaced the heads, that would have been in late 83 or early 84.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM
New User

rplarry is starting off with a positive reputation.
No help here?
Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Senior User

1bigjoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
blue smoke doesn't mean your seals are bad.
how old are the injectors & the ip?????
they sure are alot easyer fix than pulling the head
a bad , leakey injector will do that, pluss a wore out ip
Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Posting Guru

farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do you have a valve spring compresser for a gasser? It will work for the 6.9 if you do. If you don't pick one up before you leave. This one should work. http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Result...&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
Can't help with the seals, as I have never done them.
1997 F350 SRW Reg cab powerstroke 4.10, zf5spd 4X4, 3inch downpipe, 6637 mod, intercooler
1996 F350 Crewcab dually 4.10, E4OD, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
1996 F350 C&C Dually reg cab 4X4 flatbed Zf5 4.10, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/73...lve-seals.html Have a read here, might answer some questions.
You don`t have to pull the heads to replace the valve guide seals.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Posting Guru

farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lazy K, Do you have all those threads that you link to saved? Tryed to send you some points, but said I had to spread it around.
1997 F350 SRW Reg cab powerstroke 4.10, zf5spd 4X4, 3inch downpipe, 6637 mod, intercooler
1996 F350 Crewcab dually 4.10, E4OD, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
1996 F350 C&C Dually reg cab 4X4 flatbed Zf5 4.10, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Post Fiend

Lazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to allLazy K is a name known to all
farmert, no I don`t! I just use the advanced search feature.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
302, 69, 73, 84, change, ford, guide, guides, idi, replacement, sbf, seal, spring, v10, valve