Sponsored by: Moser

Ecoboost versus Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM
diver110
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost versus Diesel?

So I am looking at buying my first truck after many decades of cars (some hot). I like to get off pavement and occasionally would carry a camper. I could probably get by with the Ecoboost max payload set up (around 2000 pounds), but a 3/4 diesel has much more payload and gives me more flexibility as to what camper to buy. For the same money, I would have to buy a few year old diesel or a new Ecoboost. The mpg I am seeing on the Ecoboost are not blowing my socks off, though at least a bit better than likely with a diesel. Then again, diesels go forever. Then again, while I won't do rock climbing, diesels are heavier, maybe less ideal off pavement. I have been going back and forth like this for months. Advice?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM
akalogan
Senior User
What set up are you looking at for your truck, i.e. super cab 8' bed? just curious as that would help define what you need in your purchase...

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
diver110
Junior User
I was thinking more in terms of a crew cab, short bed.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Shadow Grey
Junior User
Are you looking at pulling a camper/5th wheel or payload as in slide in camper.
Slide in campers are a big NO NO with a F150. A lot depends on how big a camper you want to get and if you are going to be full time RVing or not.
Driving a big 250/350 Screw 8' PSD can get old for a daily driver to/from work if you put any distance on. Loaded they ride fine but empty you'll feel every bump. If your like most of us, your truck will be 99% unloaded rolling up and down the road.
What type of off roading...Sand? Rocks? Mud? Dirt? and how often?

If you get a diesel a few years old, make sure you aren't buying someone elses troubles. 6.0L and 6.4L trucks I would personnally stay away from buying used ( I know, I had a '05 PSD from new till trade-in for the Eco). Newer diesels are ok but you have to fill with diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
You can buy a pretty big RV to tow behind the EcoBoost. Consider that if you buy a truck for RVing, you probably will be driving it mostly unloaded. The EcoBoost is far more fun and nicer to drive than a diesel. If it all comes down to payload, you can fix that with airbags.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shadow Grey
Are you looking at pulling a camper/5th wheel or payload as in slide in camper.
Slide in campers are a big NO NO with a F150. A lot depends on how big a camper you want to get and if you are going to be full time RVing or not.
Driving a big 250/350 Screw 8' PSD can get old for a daily driver to/from work if you put any distance on. Loaded they ride fine but empty you'll feel every bump. If your like most of us, your truck will be 99% unloaded rolling up and down the road.
What type of off roading...Sand? Rocks? Mud? Dirt? and how often?

If you get a diesel a few years old, make sure you aren't buying someone elses troubles. 6.0L and 6.4L trucks I would personnally stay away from buying used ( I know, I had a '05 PSD from new till trade-in for the Eco). Newer diesels are ok but you have to fill with diesel exhaust fluid (DEF).
Actually the tool on the Ford website to choose what motor you should get shows a slide in in a F-150. The max payload package allows you to put over a ton of cargo in the box so I do not see why not.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Originally Posted by diver110
So I am looking at buying my first truck after many decades of cars (some hot). I like to get off pavement and occasionally would carry a camper. I could probably get by with the Ecoboost max payload set up (around 2000 pounds), but a 3/4 diesel has much more payload and gives me more flexibility as to what camper to buy. For the same money, I would have to buy a few year old diesel or a new Ecoboost. The mpg I am seeing on the Ecoboost are not blowing my socks off, though at least a bit better than likely with a diesel. Then again, diesels go forever. Then again, while I won't do rock climbing, diesels are heavier, maybe less ideal off pavement. I have been going back and forth like this for months. Advice?
I've been there and got the T-shirt. Our last camper was a large 5th wheel with a 2200lb pin weight. When you're talking about that much payload, you need a big truck. If you go with a 1 ton truck, you pretty much have your pick of whatever you want for a camper.

Where you are now, I would recommend finding a capable half-ton truck and look into the newer, lighter slide in campers on the market if that's what you want. I believe they make some that would work in a half/ton if you want a slide in. Link to Lance campers: Lance 865 Truck Camper - Lance 865

Of course, these days, there are many great choices for half ton towable travel trailers and 5th wheels on the market. Once you get started, you can see how you like it before jumping into the fire feet first so to speak. RV shows are just around the corner.

Have fun shopping!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM
diver110
Junior User
To respond, yes, the truck will mostly be unloaded. It will only have a slide-in camper on it once in a while, and then probably only for a couple of days at a time. Off road will mostly be on forest roads (so really off pavement), maybe some sand and mud, but nothing hard core, no rock climbing. There are slide-in campers that "wet" weight well under the Ecoboost 2000 payload capacity, but they come with limitations. I would be right on the bubble for an 8 foot Lance, for example.

I guess, if driving empty and off road is a much better experience in the Ecoboost, I would lean that way. If there is only a small difference, I would tend more to diesel....

Also, if I could beef up the Ecoboost to handle a bit more weight (nothing major, just a few hundred pounds extra), I would also tend to the Ecoboost.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
For about the same price you can get a 6.2 Super Duty. You get the bigger payload of the 3/4 ton, without the cost of the diesel fuel and maintenance. The problem is the mileage is not as good as the Ecoboost but does ride pretty good empty. I may be a bit biased but I got mine just to pull my camper, and boy does it do a good job. I also use it as a daily driver too.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM
diver110
Junior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
For about the same price you can get a 6.2 Super Duty. You get the bigger payload of the 3/4 ton, without the cost of the diesel fuel and maintenance. The problem is the mileage is not as good as the Ecoboost but does ride pretty good empty. I may be a bit biased but I got mine just to pull my camper, and boy does it do a good job. I also use it as a daily driver too.
I have thought about that too. What kind of mileage do you get?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Highway is around 14-17 and city around 12

Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
diver110
Junior User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Highway is around 14-17 and city around 12

Empty, not that much different than a diesel. Of course loaded, I assume were in single digits, but then again, I would not be loaded that often. When did the 6.2 come out?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
With my TT i am getting 8-9 with a golf cart in the bed too. The 6.2 has been ariund for about a year and a half. Scroll down the main forum page and look for 6.2, there is a lot of info about it there.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Froggman
Freshman User
I sympathize with your delema... A cople of months ago I was struggling with the same questions. While I don't have a slide-in camper, I do have a travel trailer that we tow for a couple weeks once a year. I almost pulled the trigger on a F-250 6.2L, but while I can totally understand the logic behind the bigger is better for towing theory, I couldn't see driving that vehicle day in and day out. I finally decided on the F-150 Ecoboost with the 157" WB and max trailer package and its a much better driving vehicle.

What it all boils down to is what you need and what you need it to do.

Safe diving!

-Ken

Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
diver110
Junior User
Originally Posted by Froggman
I sympathize with your delema... A cople of months ago I was struggling with the same questions. While I don't have a slide-in camper, I do have a travel trailer that we tow for a couple weeks once a year. I almost pulled the trigger on a F-250 6.2L, but while I can totally understand the logic behind the bigger is better for towing theory, I couldn't see driving that vehicle day in and day out. I finally decided on the F-150 Ecoboost with the 157" WB and max trailer package and its a much better driving vehicle.

What it all boils down to is what you need and what you need it to do.

Safe diving!

-Ken
As I think about it some more, I am starting to head in the same direction. I am not sure I could live with the MPG of the 6.2 which percentage-wise is a fair drop. I think I would rather live with a small camper for now. Of course, it might help if I actually drove the Ecoboost. That is next on my list. I have driven a few diesels.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost versus Diesel?