Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Bundy4825
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What do you think

Hi all i have a 1990 f150 4x4 when i turn the key on to the acc position my truck starts up and the starter keeps going until i shut the key off (instead of the start position) i have ordered a new ignition barrel being australia it takes a while to get parts do you think this will fix the problem

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bundy4825
Hi all i have a 1990 f150 4x4 when i turn the key on to the acc position my truck starts up and the starter keeps going until i shut the key off (instead of the start position) i have ordered a new ignition barrel being australia it takes a while to get parts do you think this will fix the problem
Sorta sounds like the starter is stuck (I'm assuming that the truck runs, and when it starts up, the starter keeps cranking...)....

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Bundy4825
New User
Yes the mototr runs and the starter keeps running as well the only reason i was pointing to the ignition barrel was that the starter starts cranking when the key is in the "on" position instead of the start position

Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Yes the mototr runs and the starter keeps running as well the only reason i was pointing to the ignition barrel was that the starter starts cranking when the key is in the "on" position instead of the start position
Between that, and the stuck starter solenoid (The one on the starter)....I think you've narrowed your issue down....

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Bundy4825
New User
Thanks for the piece of mine being my first ford truck and having the issue with not many mechanics in town that no much about them im trying to work all the issues out myself

thanks again

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the piece of mine being my first ford truck and having the issue with not many mechanics in town that no much about them im trying to work all the issues out myself

thanks again
No problem....And welcome to the site...

Btw...I'll add this...Try havin someone crank the truck over, and you taking a small hammer, and pecking lightly on the starter housing and the solenoid on top...if its simply stuck, it should solve the issue....No guarentee's on how long it'll be till it sticks again though....

Again, LIGHT pecking is the key..no need for a 9lb sledgehammer...

Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
deljac
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same issue and mine was the solenoid on the pass fender, i wud tap it and the starter would stop running and the solenoid was only 3 months old. just another idea to look at, good luck and welcome to the site.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the ignition switch (not the barrel) has some adjustment to it, also the rod that goes from the barrel to the switch likes to bend,

and you might want to make sure that its the right wire thats going to the solenoid. if you got the truck like this it may be possible that somebody hooked an ign+ wire to the solenoid instead of the switched power.

also for testing with the starter, you could disconnect the cable from the solenoid to the starter and hook up a test light instead so that your not trying to work on a truck that is running and cranking at the same time!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Bundy4825
New User
thanks for the replys i have just been out the shed playing with the truck and this is what i have found

i have disconnected the wire for thew starter of the solinoid / relay on the fender of the treuck mine is on the right hand side being australian now when i have the key in the on position i can touch the wire to the relay and the starter will engage and when i remove the wire the starter will disengage so dose that mean that the problem must be in the ignition of the truck

i am really greatfull for all your help and the welcoming to the site

Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
thanks for the replys i have just been out the shed playing with the truck and this is what i have found

i have disconnected the wire for thew starter of the solinoid / relay on the fender of the treuck mine is on the right hand side being australian now when i have the key in the on position i can touch the wire to the relay and the starter will engage and when i remove the wire the starter will disengage so dose that mean that the problem must be in the ignition of the truck

i am really greatfull for all your help and the welcoming to the site
Yes it suggests a problem in the ignition switch itself, might be internally fried requiring replacement however might just require adjustment correct the problem.

Symptoms warrant giving its adjustment a good going over and if needed checked with a tester see what the deal is. Is it the switch or something in the harness narrow it down.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Bundy4825
New User
thanks for your help everyone what i have done now is replaced the ignition barrell with and brand new one i have replaced the ignition swith the starter and the relay located in the engine bay

anyone have any more ideas that i could try
or does anyone wanna buy a ute

thanks

Old 12-10-2011, 08:26 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
thanks for your help everyone what i have done now is replaced the ignition barrell with and brand new one i have replaced the ignition swith the starter and the relay located in the engine bay

anyone have any more ideas that i could try
or does anyone wanna buy a ute

thanks
Gonna have to give us just a tad more to go on, ok you replaced the key cylinder, the ignition switch and the fender mounted relay.

Do you have the exact same problem? You turn the key back to the "acc" position the starter is engaged and the motor starts? (If so as you probably know that shouldn't happen!)

Has the new ignition been adjusted and checked for proper operation IE; when you turn the key to "start" the ignition switch is pushed (working from memory here, it is pushed ain't it?) to the "start" position and when the key is released it self returns to the "run" position?

If so exactly what happens or doesn't happen when doing so?

What has power and what doesn't in the start and run positions?

Was this truck "new to you" by chance and in this condition when you got it? or worked fine/normal for you been driving it condition came on sudden like?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Bundy4825
New User
Yep i have the exact same problem the truck came to me with this problem one of very many i will never buy a mechanics car again

The issue i have is i have checked the for correct operation and it all seems to be working fine at the back of the igniton setup on the steering coloum you have a series of wires when the key is in the off position none of the wires have power when the key is in the Acc position all the wires have power except fort the green on wich i have traced back threw the many stages and is the starter wire
now when i turn the key to the on position all the wires have power including the green one (which shouldn't have power)

then again when it is in the start position all the wires have power

i hope this is enough information anything please ask and i will try to answer best i can
as far as being a mechanic goes im a pretty good miner

i have taken it to the auto electrical shop but after three tradesman looking at it and 2000 dollars im in the same position as before

Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Bundy4825
New User
Sorry people i put the same reply twice

Last edited by Bundy4825; 12-10-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: same msg twice sorry people
Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

So let me get this straight....In teh OFF position....You can turn the key BACKWARDS (ACC mode) and the truck starts? Hmmmm.....

Now, If you turn it FORWARDS (ON) The fuel pump primes, etc....? And then to press the key further forwards (Start position) the truck starts...Correct?

Now, my question is, does the fuel pump prime, in the ACC position? If so, it sound like someone has crossed a wire ove from the Start position, to the ACC position...

Also...Side note....

When you turn the key to ACC position...Does the starter engage, and keep cranking, even when the engine starts?

Quick Reply: What do you think