1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS system situation... 2011 SC, 6.7...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
tuscany
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS system situation... 2011 SC, 6.7...

Bought another F-250...since the wife does not like us to drive the the CC in the winter. So that opened the door to get another. So, the used SC came with 22" custom wheels (nice ones)....I changed the CC 20" customer wheel and put them on the SC and vice versa on the 22" wheels. The Ford dealership owner (who's SC I bought) gave me another set of OEM 18" wheels and tires which I sold and bought a set of 20" OEM wheels and tires....that came with sensors in them. Now the problem starts. After changing the 20" mags out with the 20" OEM's for the winter.... The TPMS light comes on at the dash. So, I get the book out and read about training the wheels and the process to take. After 3 hours and no luck on training the wheels I take it to the dealer. And they could not train the wheels ...with a little gadget that was the size of a key chain remote starter thing. They asked to see if I could find out what year the OEM 20" Ford wheels were from. I found that out and they were off a 2009 F-250. Returned tot he dealer and they tracked down that after JANUARY 2011 Ford changed the sensors and module portion of the computer. So now I am trying to find the part number of the newer wheel sensors and ANY information that any of you might be able to add.

Bottom line seems to be any wheel sensors prior to JAN 2011 will work on older trucks but not on newer trucks.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer is correct except the date. MY08 and MY09 use banded TPMS sensors while MY10+ uses snap-in stem mounted sensors. The sensors are not interchangeable. You will want the stem mounted sensors which are Ford P/N: 9L3Z-1A189-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-12) or Schrader P/N: 20315. Ford sources the stem mounted sensors from Schrader.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
tuscany
Senior User
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Dealer is correct except the date. MY08 and MY09 use banded TPMS sensors while MY10+ uses snap-in stem mounted sensors. The sensors are not interchangeable. You will want the stem mounted sensors which are Ford P/N: 9L3Z-1A189-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-12) or Schrader P/N: 20315. Ford sources the stem mounted sensors from Schrader.
PowerStrokeHD

Thank you, Thank you....that is the information I am looking for. I know it will help others.
JB

Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
tuscany
Senior User
Now how about a TPMS resetting tool. I know they require different frequencies...??

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tuscany
Now how about a TPMS resetting tool. I know they require different frequencies...??
Reset tool is not need for MY10+. You can just follow the reset procedure in your owners manual. Alternatively you can follow the MY08 - MY09 reset procedure which does require the reset tool. I prefer the older procedure with the reset tool as you do not need to mess around with letting air out of the tires...

The reset tool is Ford P/N: 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-19). MSRP $53.93 which is about double what it used to be...

Note that you only need to reset/train the sensors if you are rotating the tires AND the fronts and rears require a different tire pressure, such as with 17" and 18" tires OR in a case such as yours where you will be adding new sensors.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM
tuscany
Senior User
Reset tool is not need for MY10+. You can just follow the reset procedure in your owners manual. Alternatively you can follow the MY08 - MY09 reset procedure which does require the reset tool. I prefer the older procedure with the reset tool as you do not need to mess around with letting air out of the tires...

The reset tool is Ford P/N: 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-19). MSRP $53.93 which is about double what it used to be...

Note that you only need to reset/train the sensors if you are rotating the tires AND the fronts and rears require a different tire pressure, such as with 17" and 18" tires OR in a case such as yours where you will be adding new sensors.
OK...if I am reading this properly.... I do not need a reset tool BUT if I wanted on it would be a Ford P/N: 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-19). ... correct?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
OK...if I am reading this properly.... I do not need a reset tool BUT if I wanted on it would be a Ford P/N: 8C2Z-1A203-A (Motorcraft P/N: TPMS-19). ... correct?
Yes sir, that would be correct...

Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 AM
tuscany
Senior User
WELL......THE SAGA COUNTINUES.......
Bought 4 new sensors (9L3Z-1A189-A) for the wheels. Needed some maintenance performed on the SC, so off to the dealer I went. They did the maintenance and pulled the wheels/tires and removed the strap on older sensors and installed the new sensors. Then the sensors would not train to the module. Tried 3 different transmitters that were at the garage, also tried the manual setup...no good. When I had ordered the TPMS sensors, I also ordered a sensor tool (TPMS19)(I forgot to take it with me to the dealers). So when i returned home, I tried to train the sensors tot he module......no go. So my dilemma continues with the light on at the dash. I have driven the truck far enough (100 miles today) for the system to (so call) reset it's self. I did email the dealer to see if they had a module we could try to eliminate another piece of the puzzle. And then the only thing left is the batteries are bad or weak in the new sensors. Or the wheels an tires are not for the newer Fords ...

Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Did you try to train the new sensors upon arriving at home? They'll "go to sleep" after sitting for a little while. I don't remember how long they stay awake after parking.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
tuscany
Senior User
Got it....all is good now.
PowerStrokeHD...PM'ed me and gave me a suggestion and it worked.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
fdny136
Junior User
just changed out my stock 18s for stock 20s light is on havent been able to train.is there anything else I should be doin the 18s I think where 60 up front 80 in rear the 20s are 65 psi all around ? thanks

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 PM
tuscany
Senior User
Originally Posted by fdny136
just changed out my stock 18s for stock 20s light is on havent been able to train.is there anything else I should be doin the 18s I think where 60 up front 80 in rear the 20s are 65 psi all around ? thanks
What year and build date? The reason I ask is the newer trucks manual is totally wrong.
Here is what PowerStrock HD asked me to do.......and it worked.

Enter training mode...

1. Make sure all doors are open.
2. Make sure key is OFF.
3. Press and release brake pedal.
4. Cycle key from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in RUN.
5. Press and release brake pedal.
6. Turn key to OFF.
7. Cycle key from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in RUN.

Did training mode activate? If so, proceed to LF tire with TPMS19 tool. Place tool on side wall at the valve stem with the arrow on the tool pointing towards the stem. Press button. It could take up to 10 seconds to recognize and tool should not be moved. Does it train?

If you do not have a TPMS19 tool...I would suggest running the tire pressure up to about 68-70 psi.Once in training mode...start with the LF tire and let some air out......until horn honks and then finish rotation and then do a final air pressure setting. Mine are 65 psi all around as per the computer setting.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fdny136
First thing you would need to deal with is the TPMS alert/trigger points as they are different between the 18's and 20's. With your current settings you would have to keep the 20's in the rear at/near 80 psi or your going to be dealing with a low pressure light. Dealers can deal with this via IDS on the '11 + trucks, but finding one that knows how or is even willing to do it can be difficult...

If you do not have a TPMS19 tool...I would suggest running the tire pressure up to about 68-70 psi.Once in training mode...start with the LF tire and let some air out......until horn honks and then finish rotation and then do a final air pressure setting. Mine are 65 psi all around as per the computer setting.

Let us know how you make out.
With out a TPMS tool I believe the owners manual method will have to be followed, including the method of entering training mode. I believe the system will only respond to a TPMS tool if training is entered using the method I provided you...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Bottom line seems to be any wheel sensors prior to JAN 2011 will work on older trucks but not on newer trucks.
So are you saying that these newer sensors will work on an older truck like an 08 instead of having to put the banded sensors back in?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by smotrs
So are you saying that these newer sensors will work on an older truck like an 08 instead of having to put the banded sensors back in?
Unfortunately, no and sorry about the confusion. MY08 and MY09 have to use the banded sensors. MY10 + have to use the stem mounted sensors. They are not interchangeable and the stem mounted sensors are not backwards compatible.

Quick Reply: TPMS system situation... 2011 SC, 6.7...