1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Electronic ignition for FE

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Justins68ford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic ignition for FE

Summit Racing SUM-850309 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Ready-to-Run Billet Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

MSD Ignition 8203 - MSD Blaster 2 Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hello, I bought the above distributor and igntion coil for my 352, I am now at the point of my rebuild where I am installing the distributor and it dawned on me that I have no clue what I am doing when it comes to ignition systems, I think I still need to purchase an ignition box any recommendations? Also any good wiring diagrams out there for electronic ignitions I know there are ballast resistors and stuff involved but I am clueless, If it is not in my "rebuilding FE's" book then I am lost. I am still probably a month away from installing the engine back in but it would be nice to know what I am doing when the time comes. Thank-you.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM
1912barry
Senior User
<TABLE class=overvw><TBODY><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Compatible</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Trigger Style</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Magnetic</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Advance Type</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Vacuum and mechanical</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Cap Style</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Male/HEI</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Mechanical Tach Drive</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Slip Collar</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Gear Material</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Steel</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Ignition Box Required</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>No</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Distributor Rotor Rotation</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Counterclockwise</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Distributor Cap Color</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Black</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Housing Material</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Billet aluminum</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Housing Finish</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Natural</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Quantity</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Sold individually.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=overvw-labels>Notes</TD><TD class=overvw-midmargin></TD><TD class=overvw-data>Use coil with a 1.400 Ohms primary resistance or a low resistance coil and included ballast resistor. Distributor drive gear is melonized and compatible with flat tappet or hydraulic roller cams. 0.500 in. distributor shaft.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It says that no box is required and the coil you ordered allready has an included ballast resistor, so you should be able to just follow the directions on the new dizzy for wiring. Your stock wiring should have a resistor wire feeding the stock coil and you could use the stock coil with this new dizzy if needed.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Justins68ford
Freshman User
Thank you I guess what I was wondering was SHOULD I just go ahead and replace the ignition box, do they go bad often? is it something that may strand me somewhere?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
1912barry
Senior User
Your new dizzy should be a stand alone system, no box needed. I had a Mallory unilite many years ago and it just went inplace of the points dizzy. It was real simple to hook up. Just wire it the way the instructions say to and all will be fine.