1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Free '48-50 Sheet metal and parts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Free '48-50 Sheet metal and parts.

Nothing too exciting guys. I'm cutting apart my Frankentruck panel truck this week. I hope to have it all ready for the scrap yard by mid week. I have a few sheet metal pieces I'd like to give away. The truck is in rough condition and trying to sell as a whole unit didn't work out and I have to get it gone ASAP. It's a panel truck and the roof is pretty decent and the area around the windshield and cowl vent are solid. The windshield lip area has surface rust but it should clean up nicely when blasted. I know if I scrap these parts two days later someone is going to post that they are looking for these parts.

I know "For Sale" items are suppose to be in the classifieds but I need to get these parts to the scrap yard and they're FREE. I'll cut the piece(s) with my plasma cutter. If you want a piece of the cowl or roof let me know ASAP.

I will also have the frame. From what I can see from crawling under the truck the frame looks rusty but solid.

I need to sell the normal salvageable parts to recoup some of my cost of the truck but the roof, cowl and frame are parts I know aren't worth much, other than scrap, and I'd rather see some one use them than to scrap them.

The only catch, you have to either pick them up here or pay for shipping, of course, and arrange all of the shipping from here in SE WI. I don't have time to package a large piece of sheet metal or the frame. I also don't have space to store them. If I don't hear from any one by the end of the week these parts are heading to China.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Since you didn't mention the floor, I assume it's rusted out but I thought I ask anyway. Any chance there's a piece of the floor, including the access hole to the master cylinder, that would cover the hole someone cut in my floor? It would only take about a square foot.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Sorry, but the floors in this truck are worse than that, a lot worse. Your floor looks pretty decent, other than the area above the MC, have you considered buying a patch panel from a place like Northern Classic Truck?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Bob, I need two things: one running board support bracket and those 2 clips on the frame that serve as the attachment point between the hard brake line and the flexible brake line for the front wheels (well actually that's three if you count each clip separately). If you're willing to cut those things off that frame, stick them in a box, and give me the weight/dimensions of the box and the address where it can be picked up by UPS, I'd be appreciative. Free is always a good price. Thanks.

Edit: If those parts I mentioned are in your plan to sell for cash to recoup your loss, just let me know how much you're asking, plus shipping.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Bob - I emailed you back before reading this. I'll take the whole roof and cross supports since you're being so generous, and will then also commit to the back doors at your price while we're at it. I'll still send pictures so you can see what my damaged cross support and roof area looks like, and would appreciate pictures of the doors. Thanks. Stu

Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Originally Posted by ct50f1
Since you didn't mention the floor, I assume it's rusted out but I thought I ask anyway. Any chance there's a piece of the floor, including the access hole to the master cylinder, that would cover the hole someone cut in my floor? It would only take about a square foot.

Dan, PM sent regarding your needs.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Bob, I need two things: one running board support bracket and those 2 clips on the frame that serve as the attachment point between the hard brake line and the flexible brake line for the front wheels (well actually that's three if you count each clip separately).
The running board brackets are different between Panel/cab only trucks and conventional cab trucks with regular beds. The brackets on the Panels are longer (for the shorter boards) and shorter on the F1-F3 for the longer boards.

I may have one bracket for your truck.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 AM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Sorry, but the floors in this truck are worse than that, a lot worse. Your floor looks pretty decent, other than the area above the MC, have you considered buying a patch panel from a place like Northern Classic Truck?
I have considered a new patch panel but as I recall they're over $100 and I only need a small piece of it. Wayne may have something that will work.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
The running board brackets are different between Panel/cab only trucks and conventional cab trucks with regular beds. The brackets on the Panels are longer (for the shorter boards) and shorter on the F1-F3 for the longer boards.

I may have one bracket for your truck.
Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. Send me a PM with what you find.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Doc
Bob, I need two things: one running board support bracket and those 2 clips on the frame that serve as the attachment point between the hard brake line and the flexible brake line for the front wheels (well actually that's three if you count each clip separately). If you're willing to cut those things off that frame, stick them in a box, and give me the weight/dimensions of the box and the address where it can be picked up by UPS, I'd be appreciative. Free is always a good price. Thanks.

Edit: If those parts I mentioned are in your plan to sell for cash to recoup your loss, just let me know how much you're asking, plus shipping.
Doc,

As Ilya said, the running board brackets are different on the panel, they're the same as the larger trucks with the short boards. I would like to hold off on cutting anything off the frame until I know for sure no one wants it. If I don't hear from any one by the end of the week I'll cut them off and send them to you. These are the type of parts I think aren't worth anything other than scrap but some one out there needs them.

I was also going to mention that the area above the windshield on the panel truck is different than the conventional cabbed trucks. The panel the sun visors mount to is shorter and has a flanged edge, I suppose to mount the panel truck headliner.

Stu,

I emailed you about the roof. Let me know if my suggested cut points are OK. If you don't need the cowl parts hopefully I can help some one else out with them. I know this is another rust prone area.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Oh that's fine. No problem. Yes, definitely keep that frame intact if somebody needs it. Ilya may have one of those running board brackets. To clarify, the one I need is for that F5 (my steer tradin' truck). You guys know more than me probably what I need. I measured it one day, and it's 16 1/2" out from the frame. But I'm clueless if the frame mount portion is the same for the big vs. smaller trucks vs. the panels, etc. Thanks.

Shane

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Doc,

If Ilya doesn't have one and no one wants the frame I'll see the part to you. Even if some one wants the frame most likely they'll want it for a PU and won't be able to use the brackets. Remind me, via PM, at the end of the week.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Bob - Thanks. I'll email you about the roof and doors. The cowl area is ok I think, and if not I've got pickup cabs I can rob. Come to think, I've also got the cowl vent area I just cut out of the Oregon truck. Stu

Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doc,

If you need it for the F5, then you'll need the brackets from the Panel truck. I can check today, but no guarantees. Bob may be the best to help you with that if no one takes the frame.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Doc,

I have a set of the panel truck type running board mounts. Let me know if you need any.

Dan

Quick Reply: Free '48-50 Sheet metal and parts.