Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Canadian National Chapter > British Columbia
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

British Columbia British Columbia
Join Chapter, Leader: Zip

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
BC traffic regulations--sled deck?

Hey you mountain maniacs

me and a buddy are planning a couple of sledding trips out there this winter and trying to figure out the best way to haul our sleds. We'd both like to use a sled deck cause then the sleds are up and out of the road dirt, and not towing a trailer would be a great asset.

The truck we will using is a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel.

I've heard that BC has some rule that a sled deck can only be used on a DRW truck. Can someone check into this and perhaps clarify it with real information not just hearsay? I can't see why a person would need a DRW as long as we're not exceeding the GVWR of the truck. The sleds are 2011 and 2012 Polaris RMK Assault 800/155's... They might weigh 1k combined and ready to ride...

Interested in knowing some REAL rules...

thanks

PS... how's the snow out there now?

2014 F350/6.7/4x4/CC/SWB/Lariat
Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Post Fiend

96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of96sherm has much to be proud of
No one has an answer? Or at least can direct me to the right source of information? I've tried looking it up on the net, but can't seem to get any black/white answers...

Old 11-25-2011, 04:47 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Just noticed your post. I see sled decks on single rear axle trucks all the time, so I don't think you would have any issues.

As for snow I guess it depends on where you are heading. Valemount, Revelstoke areas? Those are a couple of the popular areas.
Chris,#12 BS'er/Official Slackmaster #7/AVIDEST WINTER HATER WITH SLEDS
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 11-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for the reply Chris. We're going to the Fernie area mid January, then to Valemount for a week in February. I've never sledded in either place, so I'm pretty pumped.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM
BC Chapter LDR

Zip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputationZip has a superb reputation
Valemount is one of the hot spots for sure. I forgot to mention Blue River as well which is next to Valemount. They have some nice big spots to unload and head into the hills.

If the snow is there I don't think you will be disappointed.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Zoodad Mod, Blue Spring, Sinister Coolant Filter, Tripple Gauge Pod, Scangauge II, Leveling Kit, Straight Piped
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Senior User

luv_mud has a good reputation on FTE.luv_mud has a good reputation on FTE.
Not sure if this will help but....

"Cargo securement

35.04 Vehicles must be equipped and cargo must be contained, immobilized or secured in accordance with the applicable requirements of this Division and the Standard and so that it cannot

(a) leak, spill, blow off, fall from, fall through or otherwise be dislodged from the vehicle, or

(b) shift on or within the vehicle in a manner that affects the stability or manoeuvrability of the vehicle.

[en. B.C. Reg. 113/2005, Sch. 1.]"

Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Civil disobedience. A right, not a crime.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Post Fiend

Thanks for the replies.

From the research I've done, the only conclusion I've come to is that long as the load is within your trucks GVWR, a person should be fine. Perhaps the guys who have had issues are ones hauling 2 big 4 strokes on a 1/2 ton with a deck, or even some of the earlier 3/4 tons wouldn't have the capacity to handle those sleds + a couple of guys and gear.

The other issue is the deck has to be properly marked with clearance lights, and if the sleds or deck stick 4' past the truck's tail-lights, you need to have a light system on the track or somewhere on the very end of the sled.

Zip--I've youtube'd some of those areas, valemount, blue river, and there's a few others in that area. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
The Pacifier

bigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputation
I see sled decks on pretty much every type of fullsize truck. Dually, srw, longbed, shortbed... if you have a truck, there's a deck for it.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Post Fiend

thanks for the replies. From my research all I can figure out is that long as you're within your GVWR, you should be fine no matter what type of truck you have. There are some underwritten rules about how far the sleds can stick out past the end of the truck and if it exceeds that distance they have to be flagged or lighted.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM
BC Chapter LDR

Sounds like you're good to go.
BC Chapter Member/Leader
JOIN THE BC CHAPTER HERE
Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM