Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

kcode is starting off with a positive reputation.
torque converter to flex plate advice?

I am mating up my transmission to engine and I am wondering if there is an easy way to align the torque converter bolts to the flex plate? I am trying to get it aligned AND pulled in by myself. C6 to 351.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Elder User
Garage is empty, add now

Stinky7-11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you take the spark plugs out you should be able to spin the motor fairly easy with a socket on the front of the crank or find something you can use as a lever to pry against the ring gear on the flexplate. Tony
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

mikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to beholdmikeo0o0o0 is a splendid one to behold
Just did this yesterday by myself.
Be sure the torque converter is COMPLETELY seated. There is the input shaft, stator support and oil pump drive to engage.
I set the torque converter so the four studs are at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock position. Then I turned the engine so the holes in the flex-plate are in the same position. I then set the engine in place and got the bell housing bolts started by a couple of threads.
Got under the truck to make sure everything lined up. It didn't, alignment was off by a hair. I used a long screwdriver to turn the flwheel enough to get everything lined up. Then tightened the bellhousing bolts to bring everything together.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0 View Post
Just did this yesterday by myself.
Be sure the torque converter is COMPLETELY seated. There is the input shaft, stator support and oil pump drive to engage.
I set the torque converter so the four studs are at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock position. Then I turned the engine so the holes in the flex-plate are in the same position. I then set the engine in place and got the bell housing bolts started by a couple of threads.
Got under the truck to make sure everything lined up. It didn't, alignment was off by a hair. I used a long screwdriver to turn the flwheel enough to get everything lined up. Then tightened the bellhousing bolts to bring everything thogether.
OK, this is where I'm currently at. I have one bell housing bolt started and I will put another in today. I think I just need to suck the bell closer so that I can get the bolts on the torque converter closer to tell where they are at.

Thanks and I will update later today I hope.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Rusty Roller
1978 Ford F250 4x4

OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I think I just need to suck the bell closer
When the torque converter is installed correctly everything will just fall together. The torque converter should be free floating, in and out, before you tighten the four nuts holding the converter to the flex-plate.

If you are having to use bolts to "pull it together' then your torque converter isn't seated correctly and you are about to DAMAGE the pump inside ($$$$) your transmission.

Please be careful and make sure the torque converter is seated in the pump. Rotate it till it aligns and you feel it drop in place.
1974 F100 4x4 360 flatbed
1978 F250 4x4 429ci C-6 33's
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.mark a. has a very good reputation on FTE.
It always helps to start a few longer bolts in the bell housing to get it lined up.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

It seems like the torque converter is in to far still lol How close should the bell be before the torque converter bolts start to touch the flex plate?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Rusty Roller
1978 Ford F250 4x4

OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.
Once it's that close it should just wiggle into place.

Been a while since i stuffed one but it's about the same. When the bell housing is against the engine block the torque converter sud shoulder will be thru the plate and should have a small clearance to the flex-plate. I don't know the measurement but at least 1/16th; maybe even a 1/4 in.

So when the studs contact the plate the bell housing should be less than the length of the studs. I think that's right?

Just don't force it and you'll be ok

I'm not explaining this very well... Could someone help. Thanks!
1974 F100 4x4 360 flatbed
1978 F250 4x4 429ci C-6 33's
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Certified Thread Hijacker
2006 Ford F-250
My Garage

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyle View Post

Been a while since i stuffed one but it's about the same. When the bell housing is against the engine block the torque converter sud shoulder will be thru the plate and should have a small clearance to the flex-plate. I don't know the measurement but at least 1/16th; maybe even a 1/4 in.

So when the studs contact the plate the bell housing should be less than the length of the studs. I think that's right?

Correct, with the bellhousing bolted on the TC should be able to pull forward about 1/4" or so.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: Muffler Delete, Stealth EGR delete Looney Tune Atlas 40 FICM BFG Rugged Terrain tires Blue Spring Rotella ELC Rotella 0W40 CJ4 DASHBOSS iPhone monitor
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Amatuer Restorer
1966 Ford Bronco

gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

You're doing fine. If you have to force it, somethings wrong. Never pull it in with bolts. Yes, four studs or bolts with heads cut off are nice to keep things aligned. Only possible thing I can think of that they are too far apart, is having the flexplate on backwards. Usually torque converter is too far out due to not being seated all the way. Good luck.

66 Bronco Half Cab, 203ci I6, CI aluminum head and intake, Isky 256/256 cam, Keith Black pistons, Clifford header, Holley 390cfm 4v, 9.7:1 comp, DSII ignition
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Amatuer Restorer
1966 Ford Bronco

gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.gfw1985 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:

You're doing fine. If you have to force it, somethings wrong. Never pull it in with bolts. Yes, four studs or bolts with heads cut off are nice to keep things aligned. Only possible thing I can think of that they are too far apart, is having the flexplate on backwards or wrong flexplate. Usually torque converter is too far out due to not being seated all the way. Good luck.

66 Bronco Half Cab, 203ci I6, CI aluminum head and intake, Isky 256/256 cam, Keith Black pistons, Clifford header, Holley 390cfm 4v, 9.7:1 comp, DSII ignition
Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Certified Thread Hijacker
2006 Ford F-250
My Garage

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfw1985 View Post
You're doing fine. If you have to force it, somethings wrong. Never pull it in with bolts. Yes, four studs or bolts with heads cut off are nice to keep things aligned. Only possible thing I can think of that they are too far apart, is having the flexplate on backwards or wrong flexplate. Usually torque converter is too far out due to not being seated all the way. Good luck.
Flexplates and flywheels are indexed and for the most part it is impossible to mount them "backwards"

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: Muffler Delete, Stealth EGR delete Looney Tune Atlas 40 FICM BFG Rugged Terrain tires Blue Spring Rotella ELC Rotella 0W40 CJ4 DASHBOSS iPhone monitor
Old 11-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

I am pretty sure I have the flex plate on correctly. I think I just need to pull it a little closer and turn the engine a wee bit more. Just wanting to make sure is all. I will be down in the shop shortly and will see how she goes.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the help, I got it all bolted up. now onto the rest of the job.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
390, 42, 60l, 97, align, bolt, converter, convter, drive, easiest, eh, f150, flexplate, ford, install, plate, size, torque