Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moog cc844 Touches My I-Beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:57 PM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moog cc844 Touches My I-Beam

Hello all,

Had a quick question. My truck is a 2wd and I'm in the middle of a swap to Moog cc844 coil springs to lift the front a bit. The springs go in alright, but when I tighten the lower mounting nut down, they touch the top ridge of the I-Beam. I know the spring and beam move together, but it does concern me some. Ive searched on the net for images of a 2wd install, but cant seem to find one. Should I expect this to be a big problem, and does anyone with a 2wd have a picture of how theirs looks? Thanks in advance! Here is a picture of it:

Chris

Edit to clarify: The spring touches the sloped part, not the top flat part. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Thumper19
Elder User
I have gen 1 lighnting steeda coils on mine now and they dont touch. I used to have some off-brand aftermarket drop coils and they did infact rub my beams as there were clear marks on my drop beams.

From messing with my truck it seems to be only the heavier duty springs that touch. Which makes perfect sense, as the heavier duty springs go on a heavier duty truck with different i-beams.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Chris, I have Moog CC844 coils in my 2wd that I had installed by my shop earlier this year. I will take a picture of mine for you in the morning when there's light outside.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
HD
Senior User
Very cool. I sure appreciate the help guys. If I wind up with some rub marks, thats fine. I mainly want to make sure I'm not goofing something up on this install or tweaking the suspension in a bad way. If I can compare it to another it would set my mind at ease. Thank yall again!

Chris

Old 11-20-2011, 10:00 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Here ya go Chris:

The driver's side looks the same. Ever since I had these installed in May, I haven't noticed any negative effects on the steering. The only thing that was affected by the spring install was the alignment. The wheels were like this: \ / after the springs were in and my shop had to use some extreme camber alignment bushings to straighten it out, and it still isn't perfect but they did the best they could.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Thumper19
Elder User
odd... i am a huge suspension freak and anything on the suspension should not be rubbing. As for the alignment I sell Stempf fully adjustable alignment bushings good to 4* and have never, not been able to align any of these trucks with them.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
hows that coil work with tthe TTB? My 1991 doesnt have any caster adjustment to correct a leveling kit. It would cause the tire to wear uneven- how do you correct this

Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
HD
Senior User
Thank you for the picture Alex. Yours seems to be very close if not touching as well. Well at least I know I'm seeing what is supposed to happen. I finished installing the springs today. I like the way the truck sits in the front now. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this though. If I notice any problems I'll get a different spring.

Thumper, was the springs touching the reason you changed to the Lightning springs?

IDI Diesel, most of the posts Ive searched on here about moog 844's have dealt with the 4x4 TTB. The problem they have is when the spring touches the TTB's castle nut at the top of the spindle, preventing a camber adjustment from being done. The others may know more about any caster adjustment, but I dont. Sorry.

Here is a couple pictures of my truck with the springs:
Before:

After:

Chris

Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Yeah no problem Chris, and that's a nice truck you've got there. I like the more leveled out look of a 2wd rather than having the horrid lean. Looks like all you need now is an alignment.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Bsqrd
New User
Did you ever resolve this issue? I installed CC844 springs and have the same issue due to the lower pigtail being in the wrong position. Wonder what you did to resolve it.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
HD
Senior User
Apologies, havent been on here for a bit. Actually, I havent done anything yet sad to say. I was checking some vacuum lines and found a broke one, so right now I have part of my vacuum harness pulled out so I can fix it. Can't really drive my old truck right now. That and I've been spending some money working on my wife's Neon.

I do wonder if all the 2wd's with these 844's do this. It'd be interesting to get feedback from additional 4x2 owners and how it's gone for them. Sorry I couldnt be more help right now.

Chris

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Bsqrd
New User
I've been doing some research. It looks like the Moog CC844 springs are not made exactly like the OEM springs. I tried contacting them but they won't talk to me because I didn't purchase directly from them. RockAuto tried to help but eventually offered to take them back. It could be that another manufacturer will make them correctly. It would be nice to know if that is true. Maybe someone else has used another make spring. I'm going to try a 1/4" spacer to see if it will lift the spring off the I-Beam. Otherwise I have to try another makers spring.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bsqrd
I've been doing some research. It looks like the Moog CC844 springs are not made exactly like the OEM springs. I tried contacting them but they won't talk to me because I didn't purchase directly from them. RockAuto tried to help but eventually offered to take them back. It could be that another manufacturer will make them correctly. It would be nice to know if that is true. Maybe someone else has used another make spring. I'm going to try a 1/4" spacer to see if it will lift the spring off the I-Beam. Otherwise I have to try another makers spring.
If you saw my pic above, I have the same thing going on with my 2wd. The 844's have been in my truck for almost a year now, and I haven't noticed any problems with the spring touching the I-beam.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
HD
Senior User
That spacer's an interesting idea. After the springs have settled, I bet that wouldn't look too bad. I've never seen a quarter inch spacer before though. They're usually over an inch or two. If you find one post it up here please. I might be interested in that as long as it's not unsafe.

That sucks about them not talking to you. Mine came from Rock Auto as well. Yeah the bottom wind is tucked up higher than on the stock springs. The tops match perfectly, but not the bottoms.

Thanks Alex. As for right now I'm gonna stick with how it is. Gives me more of a warm and fuzzy knowing they've been ok for you.

Chris

Last edited by HD; 02-08-2012 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HD
That spacer's an interesting idea. After the springs have settled, I bet that wouldn't look too bad. I've never seen a quarter inch spacer before though. They're usually over an inch or two. If you find one post it up here please. I might be interested in that as long as it's not unsafe.

That sucks about them not talking to you. Mine came from Rock Auto as well. Yeah the bottom wind is tucked up higher than on the stock springs. The tops match perfectly, but not the bottoms.

Thanks Alex. As for right now I'm gonna stick with how it is. Gives me more of a warm and fuzzy knowing they've been ok for you.

Chris
Yeah, no problem Chris.

The spacer thing sounds like a great idea. I think it would get the spring up and away from the I-beam a little more.

I bought my springs new from a supplier on eBay.

Quick Reply: Moog cc844 Touches My I-Beam