6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Need advice - purchasing my first 6.4L F350

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
wfd2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice - purchasing my first 6.4L F350

It looks like I found a pretty fair deal on a used 2008 (1/07 build) F350 KR 6.4L. $27,800 for the truck with 113,400 miles on it. (I checked the NADA value, and it looks as if this price is 3-4K less than retail.) I'm going to be using it for light farm work, including occasionally pulling a 2 horse trailer. This will not be my daily driver, so I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.

I got the Oasis report on the truck and it turned up nothing but the recent 11B23 reprogram. No warranty repairs through Ford. The Carfax report showed 1 owner, no problems.

I closely went through the truck and the interior has wear, but is still in good shape.

A couple things I found while test driving and looking the truck over:
1. Cruise doesn't work. Dealer will repair before I buy.
2. Making a clucking noise when A/C kicks in. Dealer will repair.

I have a few questions before I commit to buying this truck:

1. Engine-- what should I expect to get out of this 6.4L mileage wise. 113,400 miles seems high, but I've only owned gas engines.

2. Transmission-- durable this year? Any advice?

3. Other than the regular common sense stuff (oil changes, transmission filters, air filters, fuel filters, drain water from fuel) what other "tricks" can one do to extend life of a 6.4L?

4. I've been reading about the 6.4L mileage and it seems to be all over the place, I guess based on one's driving habits. What seems to be the average on this truck?

5. It looks like the CAC (Charged air cooler?) has been replaced. This is the front "radiator", correct? If in fact this was replaced, could damage have been done to the truck if this part went bad?

6. Is this a fair price in your opinion?

7. If you own the same truck, do you like it?

I appreciate your time and you sharing your experience. Like I said I've never owned a diesel before, so any tips on keeping the engine in good running order are much appreciated!

-wfd2

Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
seems a bit high to me.........

Old 11-11-2011, 08:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The cac was probably replaced at one time due to water build up in in. During high humidy or heavy rain sometimes the cac will get some excessive water in it. Romp on the throttle and it will stumble a bit and blow some white smoke as it tries to clear out the water.

So that is probably why it was changed...or an accident. So be sure to check the frame rails around the tow hooks to see if it was in an accident. While you are there look for rust issues. Something the radiators will leak. Poor design.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 F350 6.4L 4X4 XLT LARIAT CC SRW 8' bed 61,000 miles 1 owner with NO HITCH IN BED for 28,900.00
I LOVE IT

Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM
homepukes
Senior User
Congrats on the new rig!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM
quick35th
Senior User
I have these same questions, I've never owned a diesel truck either and I'm looking at a '08 F450 drw, cc, 4x4, lariat, it has 80k miles on it and they are asking 29,659 for it. I haven't had the chance to look at it in person yet but the pics look really nice. Some wear on drivers seat and steering wheel. I am just not sure if the 6.4L diesel is a worth while risk. I do know from reading these forums that I'd be deleting the dpf, EGR, tune, and lots of preventative checks and maintenance.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Shane

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by quick35th
I have these same questions, I've never owned a diesel truck either and I'm looking at a '08 F450 drw, cc, 4x4, lariat, it has 80k miles on it and they are asking 29,659 for it. I haven't had the chance to look at it in person yet but the pics look really nice. Some wear on drivers seat and steering wheel. I am just not sure if the 6.4L diesel is a worth while risk. I do know from reading these forums that I'd be deleting the dpf, EGR, tune, and lots of preventative checks and maintenance.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Shane
You are on track with your thoughts. Do you have a link to the pics? Maybe we can spot a concern ahead of your visit.

What would you use the truck for?

Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
quick35th
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
You are on track with your thoughts. Do you have a link to the pics? Maybe we can spot a concern ahead of your visit.

What would you use the truck for?
2008 Ford F-450SD Lariat | Used F-450SD | Sidney, OH | 1FTXW43R88EB99019

The truck would not be my daily driver, Ive got a white and tan '99 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 194k for that task. My intended use of it is to haul my race car around to different race tracks up and down the east coast starting this coming season in hopefully an enclosed goose neck or 5th wheel. I know most will tell me a F250 would get the job done however I like to think under the logic of I'd rather have the bigger truck and not need it then not have it and a year from now need it when I want to pull a 44 foot tri axle two car enclosed trailer.

Shane

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I personally think its more truck than you need, plus the line about "as is" would scare me away.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Based upon what I see you are about a good 5-6K over what I would pay for it. I don't think it has been maintained all that well if you ask me.

How may hours on the motor?

I think it is more truck than you need but if the price was right then I'd go for it.

What I could not tell was the condition of the exhaust/DPF. You may want to delete but I would not buy it if it has problems. You would want to corrected first.

Get them to show you the hours and the tips of the tail pipes.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM
quick35th
Senior User
I take it you get the idea that it wasn't cared for by the wear in the seat and steering wheel, those were kinda red flags for me. I talked to the sales manager at the dealer earlier today and he did not want to come off the price, says he is already loosing money on it which is probably bs. I was hoping to talk them down to at least 25k to make it worth my while then put another 5k cash down.

Maybe I should hold out for my dream 7.3L truck.

Shane

Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Not so much the seat and steering wheel as the condition of the motor area, bent rear bumper...everything.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wfd2
It looks like I found a pretty fair deal on a used 2008 (1/07 build) F350 KR 6.4L. $27,800 for the truck with 113,400 miles on it. (I checked the NADA value, and it looks as if this price is 3-4K less than retail.) I'm going to be using it for light farm work, including occasionally pulling a 2 horse trailer. This will not be my daily driver, so I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.

I got the Oasis report on the truck and it turned up nothing but the recent 11B23 reprogram. No warranty repairs through Ford. The Carfax report showed 1 owner, no problems.

I closely went through the truck and the interior has wear, but is still in good shape.

A couple things I found while test driving and looking the truck over:
1. Cruise doesn't work. Dealer will repair before I buy.
2. Making a clucking noise when A/C kicks in. Dealer will repair.

I have a few questions before I commit to buying this truck:

1. Engine-- what should I expect to get out of this 6.4L mileage wise. 113,400 miles seems high, but I've only owned gas engines.

It should be solid until the 250,000 mark. Keep good fuel, use a cetane/lubricity additive, check coolant and fluids weekly, watch for oil level to rise over time due to fuel getting into the oil.

2. Transmission-- durable this year? Any advice?

Trans is good, no worries here.

3. Other than the regular common sense stuff (oil changes, transmission filters, air filters, fuel filters, drain water from fuel) what other "tricks" can one do to extend life of a 6.4L?

Most remove the emissions stuff (DPF) and put a $2,000 tuner on them to get the most out of the engine. Probably extends the life of the motor by virtue of simplifying the way it runs. As it sits right now you are close to the point at which you will need to service or replace the DPF which is about the same price as a good tuner with DPF delete.

4. I've been reading about the 6.4L mileage and it seems to be all over the place, I guess based on one's driving habits. What seems to be the average on this truck?

8-10 towing, 13-15 highway

5. It looks like the CAC (Charged air cooler?) has been replaced. This is the front "radiator", correct? If in fact this was replaced, could damage have been done to the truck if this part went bad?

Many were replaced for water condensation inside. Do as Senix stated.

6. Is this a fair price in your opinion?

I dunno, mid 20 range for sure.

7. If you own the same truck, do you like it?

I had a f250, liked it a lot. I had other issues with my cooling system that steered me to the new 6.7.

I appreciate your time and you sharing your experience. Like I said I've never owned a diesel before, so any tips on keeping the engine in good running order are much appreciated!

-wfd2
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 PM
bigcountryfs
New User
selling my 08 F350

i recently decided to sell my 08 F350 drw 4x4 lariat with 87000 miles,retail pricing is around 35k. that does not sound that bad to me for that one. i just put it up for sale to get out of my note. anyone interested?

Quick Reply: Need advice - purchasing my first 6.4L F350