Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking for advice on Evans NPG vs Red ELC coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on Evans NPG vs Red ELC coolant

I'm in the process of putting a ford reman. engine from Clay into my truck and it's almost time to fill up with all the fluids. I was wanting to know from those with experience if the Evans NPG coolant is the best option for our 7.3's or if I'm better off with the red ELC coolant. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 11-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Evans is good stuff, but in my opinion, not for the 7.3L PSD. There are guys who have run it and are happy. There are also a couple horror stories regarding Evans and engines that have become boat anchors.

You asked for opinions, so here's mine: For your 7.3L PSD, you cannot use a BETTER coolant than a heavy duty OAT Extended Life Coolant.

Evans is good stuff, but nobody will ever convince me it's better than an OAT ELC for our 7.3L PSD's.

Our trucks were engineered to run a pressured cooling system. The water pump was engineered to perform that way. Evans is a pressureless system and while I haven't seen any proven data, there has been speculation that our water pumps don't perform well when it comes to circulating the Evans in an optimum manner.

Stewart

Old 11-18-2011, 09:03 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Evans but what would you do if you busted a hose or something on a trip ?

I use the ELC & feel pretty confident I could find some if needed in an emergency on the road. jmo

Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cj45lc
I don't have any experience with the Evans but what would you do if you busted a hose or something on a trip ?
I doubt that would happen with Evans since it's run without pressure in the coolant system of the truck.

Stewart

Old 11-18-2011, 09:09 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Evans is good stuff, but in my opinion, not for the 7.3L PSD. There are guys who have run it and are happy. There are also a couple horror stories regarding Evans and engines that have become boat anchors.

You asked for opinions, so here's mine: For your 7.3L PSD, you cannot use a BETTER coolant than a heavy duty OAT Extended Life Coolant.

Evans is good stuff, but nobody will ever convince me it's better than an OAT ELC for our 7.3L PSD's.

Our trucks were engineered to run a pressured cooling system. The water pump was engineered to perform that way. Evans is a pressureless system and while I haven't seen any proven data, there has been speculation that our water pumps don't perform well when it comes to circulating the Evans in an optimum manner.

Stewart
Thanks for the quick response. Is there a brand you prefer over others. I was also wondering if you recommend the 50/50 pre-diluted or the ones where you add your own distilled water.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cutlass
Thanks for the quick response. Is there a brand you prefer over others. I was also wondering if you recommend the 50/50 pre-diluted or the ones where you add your own distilled water.
Any OAT ELC will be good for your engine, but I prefer Chevron Delo ELC. It's good for 750k miles or 8 years. 1 million miles and 10 years with an extender.

Since your engine is completely dry, just use the 50/50 mix.

Stewart

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Any OAT ELC will be good for your engine, but I prefer Chevron Delo ELC. It's good for 750k miles or 8 years. 1 million miles and 10 years with an extender.

Stewart
Does the 50/50 mix use diluted water in it? Would you recommend using a coolant filter kit with OAT ELC coolant?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cutlass
Does the 50/50 mix use diluted water in it? Would you recommend using a coolant filter kit with OAT ELC coolant?
It uses deionized water, IIRC.

As Gooch say's, ELC doesn't need a filter coolant, but a filter coolant is always a good idea!

Stewart

PS - "diluted" water? Is that water that's been diluted with....water?

PSS - I knew ya meant distilled!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User

Stewart
My coolant is green, is this stock from Ford? I just bought the truck and was advised to put the additive in every fall, which I did already. But is green correct?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
cutlass
Elder User
It uses deionized water, IIRC.

As Gooch say's, ELC doesn't need a filter coolant, but a filter coolant is always a good idea!

Stewart

PS - "diluted" water? Is that water that's been diluted with....water?

PSS - I knew ya meant distilled!

Whoops! Your right, I meant to say distilled water.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
My coolant is green, is this stock from Ford? I just bought the truck and was advised to put the additive in every fall, which I did already. But is green correct?
Ford never use a HD OAT ELC in the 7.3L PSD's. In '02, they switched from the traditional "green" coolant needing SCA's to a hybrid OAT (H-OAT) coolant gold in color, equivalent to the Zerex G-05 coolant.

What year is your truck?

If it were me, I'd be checking SCA levels twice a year, not just in the fall.

Here's everything you need to know about ELC and our trucks.
Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Ford never use a HD OAT ELC in the 7.3L PSD's. In '02, they switched from the traditional "green" coolant needing SCA's to a hybrid OAT (H-OAT) coolant gold in color, equivalent to the Zerex G-05 coolant.

What year is your truck?

If it were me, I'd be checking SCA levels twice a year, not just in the fall.

Here's everything you need to know about ELC and our trucks.
Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart
2000. I have skimmed that thread (and saved it), but the shop I bought the truck from (they buy/sell also, small family operation), has done most of the maintenance the last 5-6 years. I was going to wait until next fall to replace coolant as everything looks pretty spotless under the hood. Hope I'm not wrong..

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
2000. I have skimmed that thread (and saved it), but the shop I bought the truck from (they buy/sell also, small family operation), has done most of the maintenance the last 5-6 years. I was going to wait until next fall to replace coolant as everything looks pretty spotless under the hood. Hope I'm not wrong..
Model year 2000 is safe to use ELC.

You can be VERY safe and sound with the traditional "green" coolant, just make sure you use proper test strips and maintain the SCA levels and you're golden.

Swap out to an ELC whenever you want.

Has the water pump been changed already?

Stewart

Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Model year 2000 is safe to use ELC.

You can be VERY safe and sound with the traditional "green" coolant, just make sure you use proper test strips and maintain the SCA levels and you're golden.

Swap out to an ELC whenever you want.

Has the water pump been changed already?

Stewart
I don't know. This is on a list of things I gave him to find out what's been done to it (179,000 miles).

They stand behind the vehicle and know the previous owner; a nurse who had horses and towed a gooseneck horse trailer, but only a couple of dozen times they figure over the years. They did all of the routine maintenance except diesel engine specific repairs, they referred that out to another shop in town. I'm going to get with them as well (the diesel shop) to see if they can tell me what they have done over the years.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Evans in both the 7.3s I've owned since 2004. I love the idea of 0 pressure systems. no chance of a burst hose. I tow heavy(18.5K) and I tow often(full time RV'r) and with Evans, the cooling system is the one thing I never worry about. As far as replacement if you do have a problem, you can mix Evans with other coolants, it just becomes less effective. I recommend it, but my opinion and a $1 might by you a cup of coffee. just my experience.
Barney

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on Evans NPG vs Red ELC coolant