Sponsored by: DP Tuner

marvel mystery oil??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
marvel mystery oil??

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has ever used this in their oil? Back when I had a gasser I used it in both the oil and gas but I have never put it in the diesel oil. Just trying to see if it would be worth trying.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's been talked about for a while now but oil additives for PSDs is not a good idea. Since the injectors are dependent on good oil for proper operation, a good quality oil changed at required intervals and oil analysis gets the job done over any oil additives.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Chris. I wouldn't put anything in my oil but oil. lol

Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Ditto....^^^

Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts
I can't imagine it would do much, like others have said the only thing a PSD really needs IMHO is good oil changed on a regular basis.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil acutually hurts lubrication on the fuel side for a diesel truck, so I can't imagine it doing any better on the oil side.

These trucks like the taste of good, untainted 15w40 or 5w40 motor oil.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys that makes sense with the oil being used for the injectors. I will stay with the good ole oil and the diesel kleen. Thanks again.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
tommyl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend is using MMO in his truck now and is very well pleased with the way his truck is running now. I added HotShotSecret to my trucks and I am also very well pleased in the way my truck is running since I added this to the oil. They are running a lot smoother and more get-up-and-go. Go to Hotshotsecret.com to learn more about this product.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It's not really as much about a "diesel" oil as it is about an oil rated for our HEUI systems. If the oil was only used for lubrication on the low pressure side, then many of these additives wouldn't be a big deal. MMO and Lucas have been used in diesel motors for years, but they don't play well with the pressures in the HEUI system.

Hotshot secret and Rev-X are the only two additives I know of that were designed specifically for our HEUI systems, and most of that was designed around the 6.0 injectors and their stiction issues.

Just plain old oil has worked well for my engine for the last 384,000 miles, and I'll put up my UOA against any others out there. Just change the oil when you're supposed to and keep the engine happy.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Marvel Mystery Oil acutually hurts lubrication on the fuel side for a diesel truck, so I can't imagine it doing any better on the oil side.

You know this how? I know that acording to the lubrication additive list that was posted a while back its not very high up, but DOES seem to offer SOME added lube to the USLD that we are all dealing with.

These trucks like the taste of good, untainted 15w40 or 5w40 motor oil.
I agree on the oil.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my air tools! That's It!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Not sure who modified my post in Supercab's post, but I've seen a test/analysis of lubcricants tested on ULSD fuel. I'll dig it up and post it up as soon as I can.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My grandfather had an old Massey Ferguson tractor that ran on leaded fuel...when everything went to unleaded, he had to add MMO into the fuel to help his tractor run.

That being said, won't put it in my diesel.

Look at Franko's post (second one on the page), which shows MMO DECREASES the lubricity of the fuel.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l-in-fuel.html

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
bearman113
Alaska Chapter ******
I use MMO up here in the power steering units of my vehicles, so the hose doesn't blow and I have pink cotton candy all over the engine compartment.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 AM
1WildPig
Senior User
Ok, there's two things I have questions about regarding MMO that, if anyone has any actual knowledge about, I would like to hear;

1.) I've read several times that using good oil and changing it on schedule is all that is needed in our engines...my question is; does this really keep the engine as clean as it can (should) be ? ... and, if 5w40 weight oil is good in our 7.3s, then can the slightly lowered viscosity that comes from adding, say, 1 1/2 or 2 qts of MMO to 13 or 13 1/2 qts of 15w40 oil hurt? What bad will actually happen? I would tend to think that doing this maybe once a year (like during the winter or at the end of an oil change interval) might actually help and keep the inside of our engines cleaner??? ... I've also read that some people use 10w30 weight in these engines with success and, if that is true, then it would seem to support that what little viscosity reduction MMO would have in 15w40 oil shouldn't be a problem and might actually be of benefit in colder weather in 15w40 ... I've also read that it can have a negative effect on how the injectors work - Is this from it's chemical composition or the slightly lowered viscosity of the oil??... So, if anyone has any real knowledge about what happens if MMO is used in the oil, please share your knowledge...

2.) The other thing is regarding it's use in diesel fuel and the test that is often quoted that only used untreated diesel fuel; Since the fuel used in the test is not what we get at the pump - unless somehow untreated diesel fuel can get sent out to the stations by an easy to make mistake and this happens often...and even if it does happen - I don't understand how adding MMO to fuel could actually cause it to be less lubricating, it doesn't make sense to me that adding an oil type product would actually reduce the diesel fuel's lubricity...many people add it to their gasoline to increase lubricity due to ethanol's "drying" effect - but in diesel, it supposedly reduces lubricity? ... doesn't make sense to me, which is why I bring it up here ... if anyone has any actual knowledge of how it does this please share...

Thanks for the help...

Quick Reply: marvel mystery oil??