Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Soft brake pedal except sometimes on highway?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft brake pedal except sometimes on highway?

This is for a 1990 Bronco

Had a nice hard pedal after changing rear brakes, changed the front pads and the hard pedal went away.. braking was still the same, it just required more pedal travel.

Well, I can deal with it but there are two things I don't like about my current braking situation and are probably clues for why it's happening. Sometimes when slowing from 50mph+, like on canceling cruise control by hitting the brakes, my pedal will randomly be hard. This is the only time it happens, after a sudden stop at steady highway speeds.

Secondly, when offroading or doing a lot of slow, hard braking, my pedal fades to the point where I can easily lock up my fronts but not my rears, I have to slam my pedal when shifting to reverse to get my rears to engage so the whole Bronco doesn't clunk when shifting.. if sitting on a decline, if I keep my pedal steady my front brakes start to slip.
They never get to the point where I can't stop the vehicle.. this just sounds like typical fade, but it happens quickly and to a much greater level than normal. The brakes don't get exceptionally hot or anything, nice and warm, but not smoking hot.

I get pulsating and stuff on hard stops, but the rotors are old. I can feel my front brakes engage without any pedal feel at all, usually I can stop just fine without actually feeling any hardly any feedback from the pedal.. honestly, because of my soft suspension, I have to look at the speedo the see my speed decrease because I don't feel it at all in the pedal. I use to be able to feel the pulsating really well in the pedal, now I don't at all (can see them in my headlights, I thought it had just magically gone away)

I can always lock up my brakes, they're always strong, the only difference is in how hard I have to hit the pedal.. honestly, it's like I'm getting 0 feedback in the pedal from the front brakes, it's fricken weird.

Is it my booster? RABS valve? Also heard a theory (good one) where the boots on calipers stick after compressing them all the way and your front pistons retract more than they use to causing extended travel. I'm just at a loss.. gonna go bleed them again for the umpteenth time.

Oh, I also have good vacuum on the motor and I don't think any leaks at the booster unless they're internal.. but from what I know, I don't have symptoms of a bad booster? I have no swelling, I have steel brakelines all the way around.