Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you think of it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
4:56 gears are PERFECT. It will keep the 302 right in its powerband
At 65 MPH you will be at 2325RPM in 5th(OD) and 3018RPM in 4th

Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM
matix99def
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
understood. the guy im buying it off of said it has no tach for what reason i dont know. i havent looked at the truck in person its 2 hrs away but am pickin it up tmo hopefully.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM
matix99def
New User
k sounds good. i think im going to do it. i think it will be a fun truck that has some practicality. thanks diesel brad for clarifying the ratios. thanks to everyone else. hopefully tomorrow ill have my first truck. ill post pics asap

Old 11-21-2011, 10:25 PM
xXBLEED-BLUE460Xx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
This being your first 4wd, I wouldn't worry about swapping in a solid axle. The solid D44 isn't much stronger then a TTB D44 so kinda pointless for you IMHO. Also the gearing won't cause you to blow anything up, just use your head and keep an eye on the rpms. You can drive cross country if you desire, just don't expect to set any speed records.
i beg to differ, a box of toothpicks is stronger than these crap ttb's. a solid will be much more reliable and sturdy trust me i know..my buddys 76 is a perfect example f150 2wd convert d44 out of a 79 bronco c6 np transfer and a very stout built 460 it has no probs spinnin all 4 on pavement neither with 38's no less, a ttb woulda already done shredded

Old 11-22-2011, 04:06 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xXBLEED-BLUE460Xx
i beg to differ, a box of toothpicks is stronger than these crap ttb's. a solid will be much more reliable and sturdy trust me i know..my buddys 76 is a perfect example f150 2wd convert d44 out of a 79 bronco c6 np transfer and a very stout built 460 it has no probs spinnin all 4 on pavement neither with 38's no less, a ttb woulda already done shredded
That is the biggest bunch of bandwidth wasting BS I've ever heard....Period...

Sorry guy...

1) The D44 TTB is totally fine when used IN ITS ORIGINAL STATE OF INTENT.....Period....Yes, it'll break, if you try to go rock crawling with it...

It was simply made for extra traction, to get you unstuck, then pop it back to 2wd and be on your way....Nothing more...

2)And your "Buddy" must be a jackass....Sorry...Anyone that would WANT to do a 4 wheel burn out, on DRY PAVEMENT, with 38's....Well....he shoulda got a Chevy to beat on...And leave the Fords to those that appreciate them...

Sorry if I came across as raw on this...But don't spout off about something thats totally ignorant, being "Cool"....

Just glad I'm not buying his stuff for him...

Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
4:56 gears are a perfect match for the stock GUTLESS 302 and 33" tires.
Just needs a 2pc driveline to be EVEN MORE GUTLESS...

Reps....

Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matix99def
i understand the 302 is not best thing going for it but the gears are what im worried about. the calculators says 4.56s on 35s will be damn near stock ratio but everyone still trips ***** like its completely fing stupid
Don't listen to them , 4.56 gears with 33-35s are what you want , the 302 is also a good match for a reg cab shorty , they are lighter and with a little bit of cam it will work great....Lew

Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by lew52
Don't listen to them , 4.56 gears with 33-35s are what you want , the 302 is also a good match for a reg cab shorty , they are lighter and with a little bit of cam it will work great....Lew
I wasn't really referring to the 302 in my posts as much as the ignorance of doing 4 wheel burnouts, then complaining about parts breaking...

Sorry Lew...I'm a 300 man...302's, to ME, is a great DD engine...

Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was talking about the gears , the 4.56 gears with those tires are a good match with the 302 , i can't understand whey some think 4.10 would be better...

Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
the 5.0 has kept me stuck more than once. . . .not enough power to crack 3'rd in a mudhole and get it slingin. . . .it doesnt matter how much gear you give it, its gonna be far from optimal unless you put a blower on it.

but, this doesnt mean its a bad idea to buy the truck just cuz its a 302. you can either buy a long bed and bob it (wont matter which anemic motor it has from factory, it will be underpowered and youll have to do work to it to get more ***** [at least i would]) to achieve the same wheel base, or buy that one and build a motor as you get the time/funds, then swap it in one weekend. considering i wouldnt leave the motor alone regardless of what was in it, it would be less work for me to just get the 302 truck, build a motor, and swap it vs doing that AND bobbing a long bed.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l

Sorry guy...

1) The D44 TTB is totally fine when used IN ITS ORIGINAL STATE OF INTENT.....Period....Yes, it'll break, if you try to go rock crawling with it...

It was simply made for extra traction, to get you unstuck, then pop it back to 2wd and be on your way....Nothing more...

2)And your "Buddy" must be a jackass....Sorry...Anyone that would WANT to do a 4 wheel burn out, on DRY PAVEMENT, with 38's....Well....he shoulda got a Chevy to beat on...And leave the Fords to those that appreciate them...

Sorry if I came across as raw on this...But don't spout off about something thats totally ignorant, being "Cool"....

well, i guess you did most of my work for me

ive done more wheeling with my ttb (granted it is a 50, but isnt much stronger than the 44 considering most if it is identical) than most people will do in their lifetime with a solid axle. its never broken on a trail (have only replaced worn parts like u-joints, that will need to be replaced in ANYTHING that sees extensive abuse combined with water/mud), AND ive rock crawled with it tons of times. in fact, ill hit rock sections with complete disregard for my diff clearance (thanks to the armor plating these received from the factory) where another guy is watching me still trying to decide his line to keep his unprotected diff from getting smashed in.

i have a set of 33's, 35's, and 38's. the trail/event dictates which tires i run. granted, i have a front posi and not a locker, but i prove to the solid guys over and over again that the TTB is a venerable piece, and much better in the form of high speed rally-like courses/roads/trails, among so many other things. its no solid axle, but most people who bashes anything cuz "its not a solid so its junk" dont do anything spectacular with their rigs anyway, so they wouldnt know the difference one way or another.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM
xXBLEED-BLUE460Xx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l

Sorry guy...

whatever you say capt know it all i was just saying the trucks got ***** something you probly know nothing of. theres a difference in trying to sound ignorant rather than stating the fact of the solid 44 is much stronger than the ttb plain and simple

Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
rather than stating the fact of the solid 44 is much stronger than the ttb plain and simple
but its not, thats the point

Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
xXBLEED-BLUE460Xx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
well, i guess you did most of my work for me

ive done more wheeling with my ttb (granted it is a 50, but isnt much stronger than the 44 considering most if it is identical) than most people will do in their lifetime with a solid axle. its never broken on a trail (have only replaced worn parts like u-joints, that will need to be replaced in ANYTHING that sees extensive abuse combined with water/mud), AND ive rock crawled with it tons of times. in fact, ill hit rock sections with complete disregard for my diff clearance (thanks to the armor plating these received from the factory) where another guy is watching me still trying to decide his line to keep his unprotected diff from getting smashed in.

i have a set of 33's, 35's, and 38's. the trail/event dictates which tires i run. granted, i have a front posi and not a locker, but i prove to the solid guys over and over again that the TTB is a venerable piece, and much better in the form of high speed rally-like courses/roads/trails, among so many other things. its no solid axle, but most people who bashes anything cuz "its not a solid so its junk" dont do anything spectacular with their rigs anyway, so they wouldnt know the difference one way or another.
and for you im happy for you (not sarcasm) i have had awful friggin luck with them and ive had two friends granted one was a ranger break ttb's wheeling and not even rough stuff trail cruises so whateves ok well show me a ttb that wouldnt snap under the torque that 460 produces

Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

and for you im happy for you (not sarcasm) i have had awful friggin luck with them and ive had two friends granted one was a ranger break ttb's wheeling and not even rough stuff trail cruises so whateves ok well show me a ttb that wouldnt snap under the torque that 460 produces
Sorry to be rude to a newcomer...

but here's the deal man..

1) ALL the trucks I've seen with a 460 in them, (Disregarding the LIGHT duty F-250's) was a F-350, that came with a FACTORY D60 STRAIGHT AXLE.....Seriously man...Do you think Ford Engineers, were DUMB ENOUGH, to put a D44, with a 460ci engine? HELL NO.....

2)I'm NOT a know it all....Just someone that doesn't wanna hear the bitchin', crying, pissing and moaning about the guy that breaks his stuff, doing stupid **** (4wd burnouts).....Sorry man..NOTHING is gonna stand up to that sort of abuse and neglect...(I add neglect here, because if you're doing 4wd burnouts, on DRY pavement....Then I'll also assume that you are careless in regards to the maintenance aspects...)

3)When you get off your buddy's high horse and talk sense, then I'm sure that no one will have an issue with giving you sound advice....What you do afterwards....Thats up to you...

Again, everything I have said, will be backed up by damned near everyone of the guys on this site....You use a D44 TTB setup SENSIBLY....It'll last...

It is, what it is....A simple unit designed to get you unstuck enough to put the truck back in 2wd, and be on your way....(The ORIGINAL intent of a 4x4 system)...

Have a nice day....

Quick Reply: what do you think of it?