6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F350 DRW 6.4 - New to me

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 AM
greenEx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2008 F350 DRW 6.4 - New to me

Hi all,

I just traded my Excursion for a 2008 F-350 DRW 6.4 with 107k to pull my 11,400 lb bumper pull trailer. In the past I had a 2003 Ram 3500 DRW to pull it.

The truck runs very well and have read of issues and talked with a friend that has an F250 6.4 with good results.

It looks to be stock except running SCT X4 tuner in performance mode and just had a transmission service.

So, what are recommended next steps for me? Fresh oil, filter, fuel filters, air filter (looks dirty) DPF, EGR deletes?

Lastly, what is recommended oil and filter? I used conventional Rotella in my 7.3 Excursion.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:24 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
use ford supplies

read up on anti-gel, fuel lube, etc

water draining is a must and check creeping fuel levels

good luck

Old 11-29-2019, 08:11 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are your plans for it? Do you wat to delete it? Do you feel like you need to delete it? What are your goals?

Dpf delete will eliminate the regen, which a common cause of problems with cylinders getting too hot from the extra fuel, as well as fuel dilution of the oil.

Egr cooler delete will eliminate the risk of a cooler going bad and dumping coolant into the intake, but if it's not broke, is it something you're worried about?

Use tuners sparingly and cautiously. Dont crank them to the max. These engines have plenty of power, but if you abuse them you will pay.

It all depends on what you plan to do with it. There are many trucks out there with the dpf and egr/coolers still intact at 200000+ miles.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM
greenEx
New User
@speakerfritz
Motorcraft oil, oil filter, fuel filters, and new Ford water separator valve ordered (lever on truck broken) and arrived at the house. Date with truck this weekend to replace all.

Also ordered Archoil AR9100 and AR6200 based on prior owner recommendations. I've never used fuel or oil additives before. What results have you all had with both?

@afmedic
My plans are to pull my travel trailer 11,400 gross bumper pull. I'll pull a couple boats here and there. Not a daily driver.

I just want to stay on top of maintenance and anything I can do to improve reliability. I don't need more power or a hot rod.

I would prefer to put some money into the truck now than for repairs later and still "need" modifications to improve reliability if it makes sense. I don't want to throw my money away either if mods are not worth it. Will a DPF and/or EGR delete improve reliability? Or just staying up on maintenance good enough?

Just looking for some advice. Thx all

Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM
greenEx
New User
Also thinking about flushing coolant since it is new to me

Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greenEx
Motorcraft oil, oil filter, fuel filters, and new Ford water separator valve ordered (lever on truck broken) and arrived at the house. Date with truck this weekend to replace all.

Also ordered Archoil AR9100 and AR6200 based on prior owner recommendations. I've never used fuel or oil additives before. What results have you all had with both?

if you're using oil additives for "stiction" you dont have to. That isnt a problem in 6.4 injectors. Only the 7.3 and 6.0 HEUI injectors. If it's for any other reason, press on unless someone has advice not to.

My plans are to pull my travel trailer 11,400 gross bumper pull. I'll pull a couple boats here and there. Not a daily driver.

I just want to stay on top of maintenance and anything I can do to improve reliability. I don't need more power or a hot rod.

I would prefer to put some money into the truck now than for repairs later and still "need" modifications to improve reliability if it makes sense. I don't want to throw my money away either if mods are not worth it. Will a DPF and/or EGR delete improve reliability? Or just staying up on maintenance good enough?

Just looking for some advice. Thx all
It depends on what you determine "reliability" to be. There is no maintenance that you can do to the EGR coolers that I know of. I didnt want to take a chance in one of them cracking and introducing coolant into the intake, so I deleted mine. Cost about $150 and a couple hours but I dont have to worry about them any more and it frees up a bunch of space under the hood.

Excess diesel washing out cylinders and diluting the oil is a widely known problem with the DPF regen system, so eliminating the regen process will eliminate that problem as well. I dont use my tuner for more power, its solely to eliminate the dpf and egr systems. Theres power there, but you dont have to hot rod it to justify a tune and delete

Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by greenEx
Also thinking about flushing coolant since it is new to me
Cant go wrong there. It's cheap insurance. Just make sure you use distilled water not tap water

Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 PM
greenEx
New User
@afmedic awesome, thx. What tuner do you use? I have a SCT X4 (using performance tune for first tank of fuel primarily for better MPG, recommenced by PO) and have read it requires custom tunes for deletes. I contacted a couple shops and getting cold shoulder about custom tunes. I get it, it is for off-road use only right, but must not be using the right "code words".

Distilled water, got it!

Old 12-03-2019, 02:25 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
I use the mini maxx. there is no support from them anymore as they're out of business (I think...stupid lawsuits I read somewhere) I'm not well versed in the world of tuners but there used to be a dpf delete only tune that kept stock fueling parameters

Last edited by afmedic; 12-03-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-03-2019, 02:42 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
I like my mini maxx, and if I had to do it again I would buy another. They are still for sale places and will run you between 5-600. Sometimes you can find a kit for about $1200 that has delete kit and dpf delete pipe all together with the tuner for a one stop bundle.

No matter the route you take, good luck! These trucks have tons of power and are a lot of fun to drive.