1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling out of ditch

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:58 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok my turn, when I just got my truck I went into the ditch. Not my fault, I was in Pinedale, Wy pretty much middle of nowhere. I went up to the ski lodge up almost 10,000feet in elevation. The road was well packed down, and as I came around the corner a stupid red suburban was in my lane. It was either hit him with my newly bought truck or take the ditch. Needless to say I was in the ditch. It had about 5 feet of soft snow and did no damage. But I had absolutly no traction. All the trucks coming up and down the road that could have easily pulled me out just went on by. All the smaller suv's mostly stopped and offered to try to pull me out. I refused just because I didn't want them to hurt their vehicles trying to pull my truck out. Finally someone had a local phone book, I called every tow truck in a 20 mile radius, with no answer. Finally after 1 1/2 hours of sitting their, I had no choice but to call 911. They were able to finally get a tow truck up their.

So I know how it was being on the stuck side of things. I always have tow chains, and straps. But like most are saying, if it is a populated area, offer some help, but try getting a tow truck to do the work. But if it is a rural area, use caution.

I don't know how to post pics, but I will try and load a couple my garage.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, snows up here all the time. Yet somehow these retards can't figure out how to drive in it.

I actually don't bother calling 911 for them either, and I don't normally stop to help around the city either. Most people have their own cell phones anyway so they can call for their own help. I'll stop and ask if they need help out in a rural area though since help could beca long way away.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever you do - do NOT do this. This is one of the greatest videos of all time. At least you knew to ASK...

******* kids trying to pull a car out of the snow - YouTube

Btw, if you decide to do anything remotely close to this please have the video camera running!!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Just like a tin can. Yup. Let them hook it up but with your advice. If you can't get a good solid location have them call someone else.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL,,,Now that video shows how it's Done !!!,,,LOL

Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
Ok my turn, when I just got my truck I went into the ditch. Not my fault, I was in Pinedale, Wy pretty much middle of nowhere. I went up to the ski lodge up almost 10,000feet in elevation. The road was well packed down, and as I came around the corner a stupid red suburban was in my lane. It was either hit him with my newly bought truck or take the ditch. Needless to say I was in the ditch. It had about 5 feet of soft snow and did no damage. But I had absolutly no traction. All the trucks coming up and down the road that could have easily pulled me out just went on by. All the smaller suv's mostly stopped and offered to try to pull me out. I refused just because I didn't want them to hurt their vehicles trying to pull my truck out. Finally someone had a local phone book, I called every tow truck in a 20 mile radius, with no answer. Finally after 1 1/2 hours of sitting their, I had no choice but to call 911. They were able to finally get a tow truck up their.

So I know how it was being on the stuck side of things. I always have tow chains, and straps. But like most are saying, if it is a populated area, offer some help, but try getting a tow truck to do the work. But if it is a rural area, use caution.

I don't know how to post pics, but I will try and load a couple my garage.
Yeah that sounds kinda like an emergency to me. I may have called too if the non emergency line didnt get me any where. You cant be leaving a new rig on the side of the road. haha.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw "chains" mentioned on here a couple of times and I'd like to add this: NEVER use chains to pull someone out of a ditch. Nylon tow straps are everywhere, they store easily in your truck and they are MUCH safer. Search on YouTube sometime to find out why I would not use chains and neither should you.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Around here, (South Eastern Virginia) we used to drag people out all the time but now, it seems that the tow truck drivers and the state and local LEO's have a better relationship than ever.

I was nearly cited a few years back for assisting a friend who had slipped in the ditch on a secondary road. I was hooked up and dragging his Land Rover out when the COP showed up promising me a ticket if I continued.

So, after that incident, I'll stop and offer to call someone but I'm not getting my truck into a potential legal issue unless it's on some less traveled back road.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:52 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Around here, (South Eastern Virginia) we used to drag people out all the time but now, it seems that the tow truck drivers and the state and local LEO's have a better relationship than ever.

I was nearly cited a few years back for assisting a friend who had slipped in the ditch on a secondary road. I was hooked up and dragging his Land Rover out when the COP showed up promising me a ticket if I continued.

So, after that incident, I'll stop and offer to call someone but I'm not getting my truck into a potential legal issue unless it's on some less traveled back road.
That seems to vary quite a bit around here from place to place, and even from one cop to the next. Some will freak out if you are pulling someone out of the ditch, and some will block traffic while you pull them out and thank you for the help.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RUNVS
Whatever you do - do NOT do this. This is one of the greatest videos of all time. At least you knew to ASK...

Btw, if you decide to do anything remotely close to this please have the video camera running!!

Thank you for posting!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have pulled a few people out of ditches...because I remember when I was younger and dumber.

I live near a bunch of rice fields and you can get stuck in a hurry. I did have to leave one kid stuck in his F150 when I wasn't in my truck. He had just got new Nitto Mud Grapplers and him and his buddy thought they would try it out. Oops! Buried in 5 foot deep ditch to the frame. I laughed, got out and made sure they were alright.

I carry a receiver shackle, spare shackle and 30' recovery strap just for times like that. I don't mind helping people out. I've been there before and I may need someone again some day.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
This isn't a he-man contest. Know your limitations - if someone is frame-stuck in 3' of plowed snow in a ditch, you will likely just peel parts off the car. Shovel FIRST, before you start wildly yanking, in a case like this. Once you have shoveled out as much as possible, only then should you try an extraction. If the entire area is a sheet of ice, realize that you may get hit and killed by passers-by.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 AM
deck60
Senior User
pulling

well I live up here in the north land where snow is a occurrence we deal with

this is not like the old days when you could help some one out and they would appreciate it and if you did damage their rig it was their fault for getting stuck in the first place

if I was to pull some one out I would hook it up in a pintle hitch put it in 4 low and then hand them the end of the rope or chain and let them hook it up to their on rig then if you pull off the bumper its like well you hooked it up

that is why they have tow trucks give them a warm place till they arrive

Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
My advice is this: use your head. Make sure the person knows there is risk for damage, and that you are NOT liable. If you have any doubt, or the person seems unstable, walk away. not worth being taken to court.

That said, I pull out an average of 3-4 a year. Ranging from a Yaris to a F-450 with a 10' plow and Sander. I have a 4 ton strap, and although it is too small for full size trucks, it works. Again, it IS TOO SMALL.

I always use my hitch, and as stated, use the vehicle's recovery hooks if available. Otherwise, hook to an axle or the frame, but be smart about it, I actually broke part of the frame of my X's Durango when the hook bent enough to bend/crack the frame where I hooked it. My fault, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
The Metal Panda
Senior User
Originally Posted by RUNVS

Ive never laughed so hard in my life.

Quick Reply: Pulling out of ditch