1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

F250 Unibody - Buying Advice

Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Frabal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 Unibody - Buying Advice

Ok, first post, complete newbie to old trucks.

Came across a f250 unibody in what appears to be pretty good shape (needs a carb rebuild, needs new gasket in oil pan). Body wise thought is is clean, straight, surprisingly no major dents (or a really good patch job that I need to check more), and the bed is clean (one passenger side window is jammed and it needs the door glass runs) . Only thing "missing" is the rear bumper. Price is $1500 - and it's completely drivable to get her home which is important to me.

Now, a couple things worry me, hence the questions.

1) can I still get "parts" for these i.e. are most parts shared with the f100. It needs the door glass runs, passenger door lever/handle (inside) - (minor yes but literally one of the few things it needs). I see these things available at LMC (LMC Truck Parts - Page 16) so are all those parts largely shared between the various styles of those years?

2) Disc brake swap. Something I planned on doing pretty soon however a) is it necessary given that this is a weekend driver at most, and b) is there an easy way to do it. Seen one illustrated here, probably more work than I want to do. Thoughts on this?

So the question really becomes, are the factors above any reason "not" to get it and keep looking around for a f100 or (gasp a chevy) of slightly later year where parts might be easier to come by. Again, not a true restoration, not a show car or anything like that. Just an old truck to tinker with, drive a bit, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated and sorry for the long first post.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frabal
Ok, first post, complete newbie to old trucks.

Came across a f250 unibody in what appears to be pretty good shape (needs a carb rebuild, needs new gasket in oil pan). Body wise thought is is clean, straight, surprisingly no major dents (or a really good patch job that I need to check more), and the bed is clean (one passenger side window is jammed and it needs the door glass runs) . Only thing "missing" is the rear bumper. Price is $1500 - and it's completely drivable to get her home which is important to me.

Now, a couple things worry me, hence the questions.

1) can I still get "parts" for these i.e. are most parts shared with the f100. It needs the door glass runs, passenger door lever/handle (inside) - (minor yes but literally one of the few things it needs). I see these things available at LMC (LMC Truck Parts - Page 16) so are all those parts largely shared between the various styles of those years?

2) Disc brake swap. Something I planned on doing pretty soon however a) is it necessary given that this is a weekend driver at most, and b) is there an easy way to do it. Seen one illustrated here, probably more work than I want to do. Thoughts on this?

So the question really becomes, are the factors above any reason "not" to get it and keep looking around for a f100 or (gasp a chevy) of slightly later year where parts might be easier to come by. Again, not a true restoration, not a show car or anything like that. Just an old truck to tinker with, drive a bit, etc.

Any and all advice appreciated and sorry for the long first post.
For door glass runs you get what you pay for. DC has the best complete kit. Buy a full kit with the division bars and braces.

No kits exist for F250 eight lug disc brakes. you can convert to five lug pretty easy and use 16 inch 5 on 5 1/2 rims to keep the tires similar. There are a multitude of disc brake kits out there for cheap to really expensive.

Most parts interchange with a 2 wheel drive F250 F100 from 61 to 64 with he exception of doors quarter panels and tailgate.

Bumpers were optional for trucks it may never have had one.

Garbz

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
8 lug Disc brakes? been there, done that... not easy and when done you will wish you swapped to 5X5.5 pattern

And Welcome to FTE.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to FTE
Following up on Bill Ws and Garbz remarks, since it is a pain in the A to change over, and since you're looking at a 250 that has the larger/wider drums that work very well when adjusted and in proper working order, why not leave them. You could install a power master cylinder and it will stop on a dime.
Since it will be a weekend warrior you probably won't have to worry about getting he shoes wet in the rain. So disc brakes are less important. Although I admit more desirable.
Just a thought.
And yes, get it.
The stuff you mention you'd replace anyway because of natural wear and tear. The important thing is the bones are good.