Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
New User

FOAMY01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
IGNITION ISSUES

I have a 1959 f100, 292 y block, i went to start my truck one morning, got a half a turn out the starter then lost all power in truck. No head or tail lights, no horn, no radio nothing!!!

I've replaced the battery, the solinoid, and the power cable to the battery and still 0% electrical power, I see no fuse box at all, and i've searched damn near everywere. i'm getting tired of buying parts for nothing, can anyone help me with some knowledge please?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Foamy01; Welcome to the FTE. From what you stated I'm not sure if you have checked your ground cables. You should insure that your frame, engine and cab are well grounded. You can check this with a simple 12 volt test light. Once that is confirmed then it's a matter of following the positive wires, using the test light and see where you lose power. From what you describe I would guess it's a bad connection.These old trucks have a very simple system. In 59 the only two fuses are on the light switch. To help you understand the system, a wiring diagram can be purchased off Ebay for about 20 bucks. Good luck!

For Ford the third time was the charm
Third generation Ford truck 57-60
1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 AM
Elder User

3414 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Do the headlights or any other lights work? If not it likely a ground issue. Over the years people tend to change where the ground cable goes when they are repllaced. A common thing I see is that the ground cable goes from the - terminal of the battery to a bolt holding the battery tray to the firewall or to a hood hinge bolt. Sometimes there is a cable from somewhere on the firewall to the block, sometimes not. Rust builds up under the connection, and suddenly there is no power. I have also seen corrosion between the lead terminal of the cable and the copper happen that you could not easily see.

Here is what I suggest - first remove both cables from the battery, and the ground cable's other end from where is is bolted to the engine or body. Check it with a test light or ohmeter to verify it is good. Then do the same with the positive cable from the solenoid to the battery and the cable from the solenoid to the starter. Then wire brush all the lugs of the cables, and the parts they attach to . Make sure there is a cable or ground strap between the engine and the body, and that its connections are clean. If there are other wires attached to the battery terninal of the solenoid, clean up their lugs also. Then reinstall the cables - starter to solenoid, solenoid to battery +, finally engine to battery -. Make sure the two little wires are connected to the proper terminals on the solenoid, and that the battery is charged. Then make sure headlights light up, if they do, try the starter.

Gool luck, I hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
New User

FOAMY01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info.,Sory it took me a min to reply, I checked all the grounds and theres no corrosion and god metal contact, ill check the fuse under dash next and if that doesnt do it it may be shop time!!!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 PM
New User

Rusting-Nuts is starting off with a positive reputation.
FOAMY01
If we knew your location someone close by might be able to stop by and help you out. I sure would be glad to if you were in my area. Good luck.
Jack..
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 PM
New User

jd$ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same thing happened on my 59. Had a bad ground on the block. Took me a while to figure it out.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 PM