Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 PM
New User

jufam44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm enjoying being able to lock my hubs from the warmth of the cab This ESOF thing is nifty and a large upgrade from the manual stick of years past... Does ford still offer the manual shift for 4wd?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Junior User

MoreSteam is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck does not have this auto hub option. My hubs have lock/unlock so did they stop with the auto option during a model year? Mine is a KR,with all options. If the option was available in 05 then I guess the original owner did not get the auto hub option.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSteam View Post
My truck does not have this auto hub option. My hubs have lock/unlock so did they stop with the auto option during a model year? Mine is a KR,with all options. If the option was available in 05 then I guess the original owner did not get the auto hub option.
Do you have the switch on the dash or a lever on the floor? If you have the dash switch they're auto-locking unless someone replaced them w/ factory manual lockers. In a King Ranch I would say the manual shift would have been a special order.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Junior User

MoreSteam is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the switch on the dash. I have had the hubs apart to clean,and re-grease because of the selector being a bear to move. Mostly plastic from what I remember. My friends 02 is a stripped down F350 and has autos. It made me wonder why mine had manuals. I figured someone might have changed them. I just figured the autos were like the hubs we had on our 94 explorer. The auto hubs on it were junk,and I replaced them with manuals.
If the superduty auto hubs are worth it I would be interested in changing mine back. If they fail,I have the manuals to slap in.

Here is where I become a PITA. Can I change them to autos?
Anything special needed to change them?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSteam View Post
I have the switch on the dash. I have had the hubs apart to clean,and re-grease because of the selector being a bear to move. Mostly plastic from what I remember. My friends 02 is a stripped down F350 and has autos. It made me wonder why mine had manuals. I figured someone might have changed them. I just figured the autos were like the hubs we had on our 94 explorer. The auto hubs on it were junk,and I replaced them with manuals.
If the superduty auto hubs are worth it I would be interested in changing mine back. If they fail,I have the manuals to slap in.

Here is where I become a PITA. Can I change them to autos?
Anything special needed to change them?
Ok, first off are you sure they're manual? Look close, do they say "Lock" and "Free"? If so then yes, those are true manual hubs and someone replaced them...odd for a newer truck. That was common on older trucks but there's not an aftermarket hub for 2005 and up so someone replaced them w/ OEM manual hubs. In answer to your question, sure you can replace them w/ the auto hubs, probably not going to be cheap though as Ford is the only option. Now the question of why did they replace them? It's possible they had a vacuum leak they didn't want to mess w/ so they slapped manual hubs on - meaning you might have to fix whatever underlying problem there was. Ideally the original owner might have destroyed one of the hubs for whatever reason and just replaced them w/ manuals since they were cheaper so the vacuum system is still functional. Just something to be aware of - it might not be as easy as simply installing the correct hubs.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM
New User

GMM62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
With hubs in lock position the front pig is continuisly spinning causing wear & at high speeds can cause the pig to blow, like mine did @ 75mph, could be costly to leave in lock position if not in use
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Senior User

BrockwayMT is starting off with a positive reputation.
9 out of 10 transfer case engineers prefer manual shift and manual hubs

You just lock the hubs before you leave if it's snowing or you lock them when you leave the pavement. Mine stay locked for weeks in winter. Costs a little MPG but worth it for reliability IMO. Dodge heavy dutys don't have lockout hubs, they are live all the time. Same for a lot of jeep vehicles.

'09 F-250 4x4 5.4/ZF/271
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior User

BrockwayMT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMM62 View Post
With hubs in lock position the front pig is continuisly spinning causing wear & at high speeds can cause the pig to blow, like mine did @ 75mph, could be costly to leave in lock position if not in use

BS. You had another problem that made it blow. It sure as heck wasn't from wear. There's minimal load on it. If there is oil in it there will be minimal wear. Chrysler used lockouts (or front axle disconnect) sparsely for most of the last decade. Dodge 2500-5500, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee WK, Commander, and Dodge Nitro are a few that come to mind where the front is always in.

'09 F-250 4x4 5.4/ZF/271
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Elder User

SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SoCalSuperDuty03 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post
Because adding another option would mess up the assembly line. When the assembly line gets messed up, that pisses Henry off!
I think Henry has been perpetually pissed off! Let's see.... Edsel, Pinto, Mustang II, Fiesta, Taurus, etc. Yikes!!
05/12, '03, 05/07 6.0, Torqshift, CC, SB, 4WD, FX4 Sport, Sonic Blue/Grey, 8" Edge lift, six Foxes, Fox damper, 38x15.50x18 Toyo M/T's, Weld Renegades, Detroit Locker, 4.30's, Mag-Hytecs, ARP's, Hypermax HG's, Fluidamper, Spearco IC, MBRP 304, Trans; Converter and SCT tuning by John Wood, Custom Trac Bars, Onboard Air, AMP steps.... lots more
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have side question. On my new purchase 4WD I had no time to fully test the vacuum, what might have small leak since switching the dash flow takes long time.
So I locked front hubs manually to get out of mud pit, than switched them back to Auto on dry pavement. Yet when making the turn I had the steering shaking indicating the hubs are still connected.
Do the hubs need to go in reverse to make them unlock? Seem it worked when I did it, or did I just got lucky?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The front drive line should not shake or bind with just the hubs locked and the transfer case in 2wd.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2010, 4x4, defrost, delete, drive, duty, esof, f250, ford, hubs, low, problem, super, superduty, wheel, work