Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New to F150 Ownership

Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
sideview1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to F150 Ownership

Hello, just won an 2011 F150 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab with the 5.0 engine at auction today, and will take ownership tomorrow. Trading in my 2005 Ford Freestyle (got sick of the leaking sunroof that the dealership could never fix). I'm a truck guy so happy to be back in one. My first was a Nissan 2001 Frontier Crew Cab. This is my first Ford truck, my Dad has had a ranger for about 20 years.

I'm wondering if I can get some pointers on where to look to install after market parts. I have 3 little girls 5 and under, and will probably look at installing some sort of running boards first. Is there a good place to pick those up or order them? Are there some models I should stay away from?

Also, I'm not sure I want to do it, but I used to love opening the rear-window, is it possible to install a powered rear window on these trucks? I can do plumbing, electric, and build a house, but I basically know squat about vehicles, but I'm looking at starting to get more involved in doing these things myself.

Thanks for any help! Also, any recommendations on other stuff I should do to the truck as I get money would be great!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats!!!!!! Your best bet is to just get on the Ford website and get the parts you need that are actually made specifically for your truck.Especially for the running boards! Good luck!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're looking for OEM parts try one of two places:
www.partsguyed.com who is a site sponsor here
or
TascaParts.com

Otherwise there are a slew of aftermarket places.
If you'd like to really spend some coin on a very nice step then look into AmpResearch and their line of power folding steps (same ones used on the top trim lines - Lariat Limited, Platinum). There are more non-traditional options like the nerfbar setup from NFab Products and some others. Just depends on what your tastes and budget will allow for.

Congrats on the new acquisition and Welcome to FTE!!! Don't forget to post pics of your new rig.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
sideview1
New User
Thanks

Thanks, I'll definitely post a pic, will check it the links too. Is there much luck in checking at local junker yards for some of these things?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will second MCDavis' suggestion for going through Parts Guy Ed. You could go aftermarket, but then you are always rolling the proverbial dice on parts quality.

And, congratulations on the new truck!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Running Boards:
I am planning on getting the Luverne O-Mega W2W steps when my truck arrives. I like the fact that they are wheel to wheel, eliminating the need for the Ford bed steps.
When I checked, the Ford price for the running boards was insane. The ones below are aluminum, so there should be no issues with rust.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
sideview1
New User
Thanks flixden, those look great, I'm definitely going to check those out some more.

I just picked up my truck, it's in pretty good condition, very happy with the purchase. Now I need to get some parts, but having trouble figuring out the jack kit. It seems to be missing, but I may not be looking for the right information, cause I'm not finding it online. I'm assuming it goes just under the rear driver side seat (at least there is a spot that looks like it'd hold the jack, but it's empty). Is there some special kit, or is it the generic jack set up? Knowing my luck, if I don't get it in place, I'll get my flat.

Also, it came with only one key system, do I just go to the dealership to get those replaced?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 PM
sideview1
New User
Actually just found a reference to it on another forum Where is your spare tire jack? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

So I went and it is indeed tucked under, but then is there something missing that should be in that tray?

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been considering taking my steps off.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shortride
I've been considering taking my steps off.
Why?? ??

Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Why?? ??
I've alway thought the truck looks better without the steps. Haven't made up my mind for sure yet though.

Here's a picture of my '07 without the step-bars. Do you think it looks better?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Joe Finn
Elder User
shortride - I like the way your truck looks with the steps.

On a side note on Veterans Day weekend, I'd like to say thank you for your service and participation in the Patriot Guards. I know there are quite a few 'Nam vets in the Patriot Guard groups and I am VERY humbled by the fact that you guys go out of your way to make sure that our current vets aren't treated the way you all were. Clearly, one of the greatest lessons to come out of Viet Nam is guys like yourself showing the rest of us how it should be done. Not sure if I should say HOOAH or Semper Fi, so I'll just say thanks Shipmate!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
sideview1
New User
I 2nd Joe Finn.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
FordsForeverEric
New User
Just to mix this up, I for one, like the way trucks look without the steps, but I am also 6' 2" so I don't exactly need steps

I think steps make the trucks look to low to the ground, just my opinion.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shortride
I've alway thought the truck looks better without the steps. Haven't made up my mind for sure yet though.

Here's a picture of my '07 without the step-bars. Do you think it looks better?

If you send me your steps, then I would say the truck looks better without the steps. Otherwise, I think it looks better with steps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to F150 Ownership