A Few BW1356 Questions

Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Few BW1356 Questions

I picked up a manual shift BW1356 tcase the other day with the intention of replacing the push button one currently in my 93 Bronco. The new one came out of an 87 bronco and has the fixed yoke output and speedo gear. Can I directly swap a flange output onto the new case in place of its fixed yoke? I know that going from slip-yoke to flange requires changing the main shaft but I haven't heard for sure about this change.

Since my Bronco is a 93, I don't need the speedo gear. Can I omit it and the c-clip behind it? I'm planning on using the "tailshaft" and and fland output that is appropriate for a 92-96 Bronco.

Being one of the older bw1356's, mine has the aluminum shift fork instead of the plastic one found on some of the later model ones. I noticed what appears to be some wear around the pads on it (see pics) and the channel it resides in the lockup collar (see pics). The shift pads included in the rebuild kit don't fit the shift fork. I was under the impression that the metal shift forks had replacable pads and that the plastic forks did not. Do I have to repace the entire fork?

The pads on the reduction fork are pretty thin, and there is noticeable wear in two places on both sides of the fork itself (see pics). There also seems to be wear on the rear face of the mode hub, which has resulted in a small "ridge" on the face (see pics). Should I replace the reduction fork and mode hub, or is the damage superficial and the problem solved with the new pads installed?

To my suprise the pump in this case had not spun yet (although it was close). I allready had a whole new pump kit on hand, should I use the new one, or save/return it and just clean the old one and do the mod to it?

SHIFT FORK WEAR it looks like the pad has gotten thin enough that some metal has been worn away above and below the pads.

LOCKUP COLLAR The area where the shift forks rides is bright, apparently from the aluminum shift fork rubbing it.

REDUCTION FORK My fingers are pointing to the two wear areas that exist on both sides of the fork.

MODE HUB my finger nail shows the ridge wear metal has been worn away by the reduction fork.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
UPDATE

After doing alot more reasearch I have found most of the answers to my questions (amazing how you start finding stuff after you've posted the questions). Anyways the only real question I have left is whether a flange from a late model bw1356 will go directly onto an early model bw1356 that came with the fixed-yoke rear output. It's been suggested that the mainshaft in the flange-equipped cases is .050" larger in diameter, and might not fully engadge. Can someone shed some light on this? If true, this would mean that there is likely 3-4 different mainshafts for the bw1356 when you consider the 3 different outputs offered along with the PTO version of the case. I don't want to the flange on this case and have a fluid leak, or even worse; strip the teeth out of the flange or the output shaft because it is too loose.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 AM
mwright1
New User
1993 f250 4x4

transfer case suddenly leaks in 3 places ,burning smell a month ago,now wil not stay in 2h or 4h.clunk sound when pops out of gear,4l is fine though.new to rebuild work,so is it simple to rebuild this or what.?anyone know anything about this problem,i will say thanks now.thanks for any constructive help.