Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
New User

curbill4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What should timing be set to run WVO

On a 1993 7.3 non-turbo Auto is there any special setting that my injector pump be set for? I have a little over 100,000 miles running wvo on 4 mercedes 5 cyl diesels. I centrifuge my oil and dewater it. It goes thru a 1 micron sock and I now see less fat in my filters. I have 2 tanks in this ford and heat on both. I presently run a 50/50 blend in the ford. My IP just crapped out and a rebuilt was installed. I have a mechanic who is set-up to time the engine with a pheret timing adapter. I just wonder if I should have a different setting than what ford calls for. The engine has less than 10,000 miles since a complete rebuild. The prior owner did not believe in oil changes. I am in So Fl and we do not get temps below 40 degrees. If it gets that cold I just wait till the sun comes up to start the benz's. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Posting Guru

eatont9999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
With all the reading I have done, people seem to suggest advancing the timing a small amount for adding a turbo or running thicker fuel/WMO/WVO. I'm no expert and I haven't had the time to do proper testing but I plan on 10-11 degrees BTDC when I install my turbo and start running WMO. The logic behind the advancement is the increased cylinder pressure with a turbo can retard the injection of fuel. I would guess something similar is happening when running fuel other than #2.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM