Sponsored by:

ford excursion rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
DRH 69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford excursion rack

I'm looking for a heavy duty off road type roof rack for my excursion, that will attach to the original roof rack rails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm in San Diego.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:41 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump... ME TOO.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been investigating that very idea.

I want a rack that is strong, is wide, and long. I don't like the look when one is too short or too narrow. I also do not like when they sit vry far off the roof.

For looks, I am wanting to find one with a sloped front with a wind shield.

Haven't found one that fits all the bills yet.

I'm finding that there are a couple of concepts out there.

First is the Megawarrior rack from Yakima. Thule makes one similar, but smaller. The Megawarrior sits rather high, and is too narrow for me at 48 inches and 74 inches long with extension. It also looks pretty dang soccer mom to me.

Then there are the Safari rack systems like the one from Surco. The Surco is aluminum, looks rugged, is low to the roof, and is the perfect size at 50"X84"

I just don't like the blunt end look of the front. Wish it was tapered.

Then there is the Garvin racks. great width at 54", and 72 inches long. Would be nice if it was 84. Their website picture shows them mounted on Excursions.

Sport series: Sport Series SUV Roof Racks, Cargo, Luggage Rack, Sport Utility Vehicles, Jeeps, Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Isuzu, International, Suzuki

Off Road series: Wilderness Roof Racks Storage Systems for Jeeps, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Yakima, Thule, Off-Road, 4x4, SUV, Sport Utility Vehicles, Storage Systems

Then there is the custom ones that you make or have made for you. Expensive as hell.

No matter what, I can't see any of the retail systems costing less than 5 to 600 dollars.

I am really thinking of making my own.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Garvin rack looks pretty good!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DRH 69
I'm looking for a heavy duty off road type roof rack for my excursion, that will attach to the original roof rack rails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm in San Diego.
Lots of local fabricators that could do this for you.
... I'm in SD too, and know Santee/Lakeside has tons of 'slow' shops just looking for anything to build. The cost of those mail order versions, with shipping...etc. comes to about the cost of a custom one off and it would be built just like you like it. Food for thought anyway.

I myself almost made a rack for myself, mostly for a full sized spare tire and off-road light mount. But, I didn't want the "jeep safari" look to my Ex. So I opted to not build it (even though I have all the needed items to make one, and the tools/welders/bender...etc)

... good luck. Let me know if you need names of reputable fabricators.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
DRH 69
New User
Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime
Lots of local fabricators that could do this for you.
... I'm in SD too, and know Santee/Lakeside has tons of 'slow' shops just looking for anything to build. The cost of those mail order versions, with shipping...etc. comes to about the cost of a custom one off and it would be built just like you like it. Food for thought anyway.

I myself almost made a rack for myself, mostly for a full sized spare tire and off-road light mount. But, I didn't want the "jeep safari" look to my Ex. So I opted to not build it (even though I have all the needed items to make one, and the tools/welders/bender...etc)

... good luck. Let me know if you need names of reputable fabricators.
Thanks for all the info. I've looked at the garvin, but I'd like something a little longer. Similiar to the demensions for the ford van, that are about a foot longer. Probably going to get something fabricated. Thanks again for the response.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Eastland
Junior User
Anybody ever thought of putting some heads together and coming up with some dimensions, maybe some stock extrusions and a little bit of cad to develop a custom roof rack with complete material list so if you like it and want to have it made you could go to a shop and say i want this built and hand them a list. As long as you do not go crazy on the design it really wouldn't be much work to model something up in Solidworks or some other equivalent software and if its done right could probably be fairly easily tweaked for length.

Just a thought.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:43 PM
DRH 69
New User
Originally Posted by Eastland
Anybody ever thought of putting some heads together and coming up with some dimensions, maybe some stock extrusions and a little bit of cad to develop a custom roof rack with complete material list so if you like it and want to have it made you could go to a shop and say i want this built and hand them a list. As long as you do not go crazy on the design it really wouldn't be much work to model something up in Solidworks or some other equivalent software and if its done right could probably be fairly easily tweaked for length.

Just a thought.
Good Idea!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
termn8rx
Freshman User
Good idea.Also would like to find an extra stock cross bar.Seems basket attached to 3-4 cross bars alot more sturdy.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 AM
precisiontile
Senior User
I have the MegaWarrior on mine and had to install new crossbars, due to damages of the factory bars. The Yakima megawarrior can have extensions to make it longer, mine has one extension. If I could have used the factory crossbars the Megawarrior would sit a lot closer to the roof, the mounts on the megawarrior are made to adapt to factory bars too!

Here are a few pictures of the Ex with the Megawarrior and extension.

IMAG0401 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0364 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Bigdaddybus
Senior User
Good idea.

I was dreaming the other day of having one of these made for me with supports between the front and rear doors, atv tie downs, and fold down ramps oit the rear. Then I srarted thinking how much it would cost
With 4 kids the toyhauler is running out of room and I live in a state that doesnt allow triple towing, so I might end up with two 90cc quads up there.

Originally Posted by Eastland

Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
This guy over in Battleground, WA (north of Portland, OR) makes one that he sells.

ford excursion roof basket

Here is his site: http://www.rebeloffroadcustoms.webs.com/

Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
76HBoyNut
Junior User
Thank you for the links! Gotta get rid of the nasty factory crap (partially broken) and lots of food for thought here!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM
hamiltonfighter
Junior User
A co-worker built a rack for his jeep wrangler out of PVC pipes. Looks pretty awesome and feels sturdy. He uses it to carry a canoe.

Quick Reply: ford excursion rack