Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

New Paint Job is Almost Finished

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
You know MAULMAUL, this is never really going to be "your" truck.
No matter how long you have it or what you do to it, you'll always see it as "Dad's truck".....and that's not a bad thing.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One properly attached shiny new bumper coming up...

Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
The Peddler
Tuned
Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by earthquake68
That's funny. With the blinds, painted walls and the house plant on nice book shelves, it looks like your truck is parked in your living room.
That, and his windshield is so clean, it's like it's not even there!

NICE truck!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Rat77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the contour bumper look, I plan on that bumper for my 77. Where did you find the brackets? Is the bumper NOS or a repo? Side note, are those exhaust tips set up for flame throwing? They seem to stick out pretty far compared to the bumper. Looks awkward, I would crack my shins on those. Love the paint, I plan on using the red for my red and white two tone 77 F150

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 AM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rat77
I like the contour bumper look, I plan on that bumper for my 77. Where did you find the brackets? Is the bumper NOS or a repo? Side note, are those exhaust tips set up for flame throwing? They seem to stick out pretty far compared to the bumper. Looks awkward, I would crack my shins on those. Love the paint, I plan on using the red for my red and white two tone 77 F150
I purchased the brackets from Blue Oval Truck Parts. They were pretty expensive and didn't work well at all with the reproduction bumper that I got from Dennis Carpenters. I can't say which created the problem, but if I did, I would let you guys know. The bracket had to be cut and re-welded to make it work. Normally I wouldn't complain about the work, it is just that the brackets cost $100 and shouldn't have needed altering. That is just a small warning if anyone chooses this particular combination from these two companies. I have had great service from both of them in the past and like I said, it could be the bumper, but I don't think so.
As for the exhaust tips, I previously had a step bumper which sticks out much further than the contoured one, hence the protruding pipes. My solution, watch where I'm going...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:55 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I previously had a step bumper which sticks out much further than the contoured one, hence the protruding pipes. My solution, watch where I'm going...
I had the same deal on my slick. Nothing a saw and a welder can't fix.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I purchased the brackets from Blue Oval Truck Parts. They were pretty expensive and didn't work well at all with the reproduction bumper that I got from Dennis Carpenters. I can't say which created the problem, but if I did, I would let you guys know. The bracket had to be cut and re-welded to make it work. Normally I wouldn't complain about the work, it is just that the brackets cost $100 and shouldn't have needed altering. That is just a small warning if anyone chooses this particular combination from these two companies. I have had great service from both of them in the past and like I said, it could be the bumper, but I don't think so.
As for the exhaust tips, I previously had a step bumper which sticks out much further than the contoured one, hence the protruding pipes. My solution, watch where I'm going...

The "NEW" repro bumpers are almost exclusively chinese made, I put a new one on the front of my slick, as the original had several holes in it and a few bends and dents... SO while I get it straightened and rechromed, I have the "Almost fitting" Chinese cra.... err uhh crud the holes didn't quite align with the original frame holes.. so I know it is the Bumper...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Rat77
Senior User
Maul, thanks for the bumper bracket reply. I was not trying to be critical about the exhaust tips. Just curious, and thought a exhaust flame throwing kit would crazy cool. I know if there is something I can bang my shins, knees, elbow, head or smash my hand on it. It will happen. I have a blood blister on my hand from incidental contact between my hand and a hammer. I have been following your thread I think you are doing a great job. Love the color scheme. I look forward to your post with pictures (great inspiration for my project)

Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rat77
Maul, thanks for the bumper bracket reply. I was not trying to be critical about the exhaust tips. Just curious, and thought a exhaust flame throwing kit would crazy cool. I know if there is something I can bang my shins, knees, elbow, head or smash my hand on it. It will happen. I have a blood blister on my hand from incidental contact between my hand and a hammer. I have been following your thread I think you are doing a great job. Love the color scheme. I look forward to your post with pictures (great inspiration for my project)
There was no offense taken at all. My solution was spot on. I DO have to watch where I'm going. My fingers would also appreciate me watching what I'm doing a little more as well. They show the signs of incompetence more so than my legs. Thanks for the kind words. I just hope that my screw ups can be someone else's mulligan. Take care.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
I have managed to do a mock up of the dash with the new bezels in place. The dash pad is just sitting on top without being screwed in, so if it looks a little skewed, that's why. Also, Pop's truck is starting to accumulate dust from just sitting in the garage. That means that I must not be working fast enough I suppose. The transmission has finally gone to a friend's race shop to be welded. If I can get the new springs installed in the next couple of days, maybe I can set the motor and transmission in place next week. Here are a couple of pictures of the dash.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Must say, I'm usually not a fan of digi instruments but they look good in your truck.
Well done.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the interior you're going with. The digital gauges seem to fit nicely in there. Still not for me, but I'm surprised that they look decent in your truck. You must have got somethin' right!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Haha...dusty...try doing the bodywork last. I can show ya dust.

Truck looks awesome for sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Thank you both for your kindness. I am a huge fan of digital gauges, just not how they typically look in our trucks. The dash and door panels are just not all that attractive to me. I did leave the front lens off and I think that helps it look a little more modern, but it is still that boring three cluster set staring at me. If I were a little more creative, I would have come up with something that I could have used their universal, digital gauges with. I'm not that guy. I'm still undecided as to what color the seats should be. Right now, they are a medium gray color that came in the 2006 F150 interior. To be honest, they look pretty good with the rest of the interior. Of course much hacking will need to be done to make them fit properly and look like they actually belong in the truck. I guess I'll see. I've stumbled my way along this far, maybe I'll manage to not screw anything up too badly.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
redsuperduty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, that black pad and the trim sure looks nice on that silver dash!
One gorgeous truck there!
I'll see if I have a spare center vent in good shape. If I do, you can have it.

Quick Reply: New Paint Job is Almost Finished