Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 Wheelspacers

Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Smidgy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Wheelspacers

I am looking to put 2" hubcentric wheel spacers on my 1996 f350 (rear sterling 10.25). Just wondering what everyone is using, cost on ebay to me is about 200 bones for aluminum hub centric. If anyone has some opinions lets here them

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM
redmondjp
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Do you have a single rear wheel (SRW) or a dually axle?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I would NOT touch aluminum wheel spacers. Too much to go wrong. I bought BILLET STEEL spacers. THey were more money, but Steel is cheap compared to your life or others

WheelAdapter.com > Wheel Spacers

Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Smidgy
Junior User
evening it out, I have the single wheel rear, but it is 4" thinner than the dana 60 in the front. The spacers would even it out.

I can't imagine what could go wrong with aluminum wheelspacers besides having to retorque the original lug nuts, aluminum would be as strong as steel in this scenario, (hubcentric). Am I missing something?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Sbrown
Junior User
Aluminum is fine. People claim all these failures with the spacers....I've yet to see ONE single example of a failure that was not user error.

I have had 2.5 inch spacers on the rear my truck for 30k miles, I've overloaded my truck (4600lbs of gravel in the bed, pallets of concrete, pallets of pavers, etc.) , towed more than whats rated, offroaded the hell out of it, had serious wheel hop and I've yet to have any failure. If they were so dangerous they would have warnings and cautions written all over them. Just check the torque every once in a while and you'll be fine.

EDIT: My dad has had wheel spacers and never had any issues. I also have a friend who has 2 inch spacers all the way around on his 2002 f-250 diesel, he tows all the time and they take the torque of a chipped 7.3 on 35x13.5 tires with no issues.... You'll be fine

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Smidgy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Aluminum is fine. People claim all these failures with the spacers....I've yet to see ONE single example of a failure that was not user error.

I have had 2.5 inch spacers on the rear my truck for 30k miles, I've overloaded my truck (4600lbs of gravel in the bed, pallets of concrete, pallets of pavers, etc.) , towed more than whats rated, offroaded the hell out of it, had serious wheel hop and I've yet to have any failure. If they were so dangerous they would have warnings and cautions written all over them. Just check the torque every once in a while and you'll be fine.

EDIT: My dad has had wheel spacers and never had any issues. I also have a friend who has 2 inch spacers all the way around on his 2002 f-250 diesel, he tows all the time and they take the torque of a chipped 7.3 on 35x13.5 tires with no issues.... You'll be fine

Sounds good, it is what I figured just wanted to make sure.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 1.5" spacers on the back right now. Check out the third page of my build thread. Pics on post #38

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...0-build-3.html

I used the cheap Ebay aluminum ones. They seem to be okay quality. I haven't had any trouble with them yet. The thing that I don't like is they have short metric studs. The lug nuts have full engagement but, because of my racing background, I like having a bunch of thread extruding from the nut. I may press them out next summer and shove in some longer American thread studs. We'll see. I may have a line on a wider axle.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
the ALUMINUM ones are not rated for the weight that any F250 , F350 truck can handle !
you dont see any ALUMINUM hubs with the studs on any trucks that come from the factory !
and the ones from EBAY , where are they made ? CHINA , = JUNK !

CHECK ARROWCRAFT AND GET THE STEEL ONES , IT COULD SAVE YOURS AND SOME ONES LIFE !

QUALITY COST A LITTLE EXTRA MONEY , HOW MUCH DO LAWYERS COST ?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Smidgy
Junior User
Thanks for the picture, that is the look I am going for definately. The ones I am looking at are 9/16 UNF thread on them.

I am missing where people are thinking that the aluminum is weaker than steel. It is not a wear surface, it is a spacer and as long as the bolts are tight it should be no worse than a set of offset wheels.

If anything it is just mounting to a flat surface and a concentric hub, aluminum will hold a greater surface pressure than steel will before it yields. Steel just has a greater plastic region. IF you can convince me that steel spacers are any stronger than aluminum ones in this application I will hang my head on the topic, but I really can`t see how aluminum comprimises strength here. The only problem I can see is that it will need to be retorqued the same as aluminum wheels, but aluminum comes with the benefit of less unsprung wieght, and they are cheaper.

Anyway enough of that, quality doesn't necissary have anything to do with price, price is just relative to what the price setter wants/needs to charge for it.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:28 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
[quote=Smidgy;11052992]Thanks for the picture, that is the look I am going for definately. The ones I am looking at are 9/16 UNF thread on them.

I am missing where people are thinking that the aluminum is weaker than steel. It is not a wear surface, it is a spacer and as long as the bolts are tight it should be no worse than a set of offset wheels.

If anything it is just mounting to a flat surface and a concentric hub, aluminum will hold a greater surface pressure than steel will before it yields. Steel just has a greater plastic region. IF you can convince me that steel spacers are any stronger than aluminum ones in this application I will hang my head on the topic, but I really can`t see how aluminum comprimises strength here.

WHAT TYPE OF ALUMINUM ARE THOSE MADE FROM ? YOU DONT KNOW AND I DONT KNOW , BILLET , CAST ? THERE ARE LOTS OF TYPES OF ALUMINUM AND IF YOU BUY 2 OF THOSE THEY MAY NOT BE THE SAME QUALITY !

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cj06

WHAT TYPE OF ALUMINUM ARE THOSE MADE FROM ? YOU DONT KNOW AND I DONT KNOW , BILLET , CAST ? THERE ARE LOTS OF TYPES OF ALUMINUM AND IF YOU BUY 2 OF THOSE THEY MAY NOT BE THE SAME QUALITY !
Correct. 90% of the spacers out there are CAST aluminum. They say they are BILLET, but are NOT

Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM
slowjack
Junior User
I carry a slide-in camper sometimes with my SRW F350 and really like the idea of the spacers giving the rear just a little bit wider stance. But does it affect the axle at all? I'm not an engineer and I'm a little bit uneasy when installing unauthorized engineering changes.
Sbrown says he carried 4600 pounds of gravel but the center of gravity was lower than my 10' high camper. (How did the quarry let him leave overloaded? I've had to go back to unload for being just 90 pounds over.) I know it's only 2" on each side but I need some reassurance here before I do spacers. Think they would work OK with a 2500 pound camper? Jack
95 F350 7.3L PSD 4WD CrewCab

Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
cj06
Posting Guru
they will work till they break , then you will wish that you would have listened to us that said they are no good !

and by the way there are no weigh scale boys setting at each rock plant in this country , it is up to individual driver to determine his own weight and take a chance on getting caught !

Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 AM
slowjack
Junior User
Well if the spacers are prone to breakage then they're definately out of the picture for me.

And in Pennsylvania, at least around the area I am in, the quary weighs you when you come in and on the way out PLUS you have to show your vehicle weight max. If you're over the max they send you back and you have to shovel the overage out. They'll hand you the scale slip to prove it. They told me they have to do it for insurance reasons so they don't get sued if you leave and then kill somebody.
Jack

Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by slowjack
Well if the spacers are prone to breakage then they're definately out of the picture for me.

And in Pennsylvania, at least around the area I am in, the quary weighs you when you come in and on the way out PLUS you have to show your vehicle weight max. If you're over the max they send you back and you have to shovel the overage out. They'll hand you the scale slip to prove it. They told me they have to do it for insurance reasons so they don't get sued if you leave and then kill somebody.
Jack

the exact same reason they are telling you not to get spacers,,,,

if you know anything about load distrabution, you would never ever put spacers on any vehicle. they create a weak point period. i have seen 4 different times that these have failed under load and caused great damage and life threating circumstances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F350 Wheelspacers