6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomorrow we're picking up a 2012 6.7 dually lariat (28k miles) to replace our 08 6.4 that's in the shop again with no idea what's wrong or when it will return. The one we're getting just had the radiator replaced, it's either a 6/11 or a 1/12 build date as he ordered the truck.
I feel all the pains of the posts here as you can't imagine what we've been through with the 08. If there's a post of a problem, I've had it!
Ford SHOULD NOT recall the radiators (any of them), just be a hero and say "we'll take care of it". By doing this there supplier should (would) step up and cover the costs I would think. Replacing every one would be a huge expense and open a can of worms for suits and lemon law stuff. The truck we're getting also had an injector come out of it. It has never towed or worked so I can't see how ordering one new myself would prevent these problems, actually contrary, it's a couple of aggravations that I didn't have to deal with! The extended warranty idea is in the plans I think. By the way, the 08 is a great truck (and motor, modified), works hard, does everything, just NOT dependable!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 AM
bmw7628
New User
Well, add me to the leaky radiator list!!!! 2012 F250 with 64,000 miles

I called Ford Customer Service, since I am the second owner of the pickup Ford said they would split the $1800.00 bill with me. Although the $900.00 price tag is better than the full $1800.00, Ford needs to step up to the plate and warranty all of these defective radiators. I spoke with the service tech. and he stated that the replacement will be "the updated unit". I asked the tech. if he has seen any of the updated units fail as of yet and he said "no, just have to see how it goes tho". I still think I should have just called Griffin and had a custom aluminum rad made.

Truck is currently at the dealer, they stated that they will have the truck done by the end of the day, at least I am only without the truck for a day.

I will repost after I get the truck back.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
The radiator in my 08 (Jan 07 build) was replaced in summer of 08 w/41k miles on it, still fine w/138k on it now. Why can they make the "replacement" not leak but not the original?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
bmw7628
New User
Well, got the truck back from the dealer. Ford customer service did indeed cover half of the repair cost. No leaks thus far....

Happy that Ford picked up half of the tab, although I am still shaking my head that the radiator went out so early in the first place!

Ended up costing me $850.00

Old 05-04-2014, 02:58 PM
OATS
Junior User
Guess I've joined the rad leak club. My '11 F250 starting consistently dropping small puddles of coolant where it's parked about 2 weeks ago. I am the original owner. It began at about 50K miles. Any new developments about coverage from Ford? I'll be looking into things and post up what occurs.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
I also just joined the club.

I have a 2012 with 50k miles on it and the same very small lower left corner leak as described by others. I've been smelling coolant all summer, but couldn't pin it down. I was quoted $1,500 to replace it. The Service Manager has promised to look in to options about warranty coverage.

What is frustrating is that there is now a note in the Ext Warranties about specifically excluding the radiators.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
Mine has been leaking for almost 100K now, wasn't discovered until 89K, at 184K now and was told I was SOL for any warranty and no offer to buy half was forthcoming from ferd.

I've probably added around $120 in coolant since it started, still quite a bit less $$$ than replacing it. Only cooling issue is on long uphill grades where the temp starts to get worrisome.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brandon Bloomquist
I also just joined the club.

What is frustrating is that there is now a note in the Ext Warranties about specifically excluding the radiators.

So, are you saying a Ford extended warranty DOES NOT cover the radiator? How can they make ONE item exempt from coverage? That don't sound right!
I just had the second injector clamp failure. It soaks the entire engine bay with diesel, which Ford doesn't pay the dealer to clean up. They still insist on doing one clamp @ a time, as they fail (not all 8 clamps), even though my truck falls in the TSB (12-3-4) time frame. What a bunch of a #$%^'s!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon Bloomquist
...I have a 2012 with 50k miles on it and the same very small lower left corner leak as described by others...
Hi Brandon,

I received your PM and sent back a reply; I'll do what I can to help.

Crystal

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 70amcpwr
So, are you saying a Ford extended warranty DOES NOT cover the radiator? How can they make ONE item exempt from coverage? That don't sound right!
I just had the second injector clamp failure. It soaks the entire engine bay with diesel, which Ford doesn't pay the dealer to clean up. They still insist on doing one clamp @ a time, as they fail (not all 8 clamps), even though my truck falls in the TSB (12-3-4) time frame. What a bunch of a #$%^'s!
different level extended warrantys cover different items.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Mine has been leaking for almost 100K now, wasn't discovered until 89K, at 184K now and was told I was SOL for any warranty and no offer to buy half was forthcoming from ferd.

I've probably added around $120 in coolant since it started, still quite a bit less $$$ than replacing it. Only cooling issue is on long uphill grades where the temp starts to get worrisome.
thats probably what I should do I only drive mine once a week, but it jsut drives me crazy so I bought a new radiator sunday night

Old 03-15-2016, 12:16 PM
D.T.R
New User
Hey guys, I've been following this thread this the first page. I am a victim of this infamous radiator also. Right at 37K miles... I called Ford customer service and they had me go to the dealership for a diagnostic. $100 later, they confirmed it is the radiator... so i am waiting to hear back from Ford now. I am very upset with this issue... seems to be a pretty common issue that Ford does not want to admit and acknowledge. The dealership is very aware of the issue as well... everyone seems to know about it. I am going to fight this repair with everything i can... it is not fair IMO to have to foot the bill for a new radiator at 37k miles on a "super duty". I am waiting on a call back from Ford and i am beyond ready to give them a piece of mind. I am a very loyal ford customer, i drive nothing but fords, i have 3 other new ford vehicles in the family... i think it's time for Ford to step up and own up on this one.
I'll report back once i hear back from Ford.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:52 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 906 Likes on 328 Posts
Honey is easier to swallow than vinegar..... I get it that your upset. Contact Crystal at FordService on this forum, and she will probably be able to help. Ford has been stepping up and repairing many of these as if covered under warranty.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 PM
D.T.R
New User
Originally Posted by djousma
Honey is easier to swallow than vinegar..... I get it that your upset. Contact Crystal at FordService on this forum, and she will probably be able to help. Ford has been stepping up and repairing many of these as if covered under warranty.
I am still not able to PM anyone... i haven't reached the 10 posts i'm assuming.
Sorry for bringing this old thread back up, i just feel we need to voice these issues so that more people are aware that they are actually happening... and hopefully that way Ford will issue a recall or TSB.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:56 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
I've been dealing with multiple reoccurring issues and they don't like to own up to anything. I've actually had them say NO, then I tell them of a TSB, then bla bla bla.

I've had the radiator, injector clamps (flat bed 3 times), severe oscillation (death wobble), and EGR valve vacuum line issue (supposed cause, currently in the shop).

New license plate: SPRDUDU

Quick Reply: Radiator Leak