Sponsored by: Moser

4 inch exhaust for ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
adamsre
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 inch exhaust for ecoboost?

Ok, I've done the research and I want to go with a 4" exhaust on my Ecoboost. My question is: does any manufacturer other than Heartthrob make the 4"? I love the heartthrob sound, performance #'s and the fact that they claim a 1.1 mpg improvement over stock to boot. I just am not sold on an alumamized exhaust instead of SS. I was thinking of going with the HT exhaust and having it PC'd black to match the rest of my truck. I wonder if that would also help prevent rust?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I was just doing some research on Magnaflow and it looks like they have 3 different offerings.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but it looks like their single full-length exhaust is a 4". And there is a sound clip/video to boot.

I'm not so sure about the sound, however. I closed my eyes and saw a honda ... albeit a big honda ... but still ....

They are stainless and Magnaflow has a reputation for quality.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Magnaflow is high quality stuff. But, a V-6 should be quiet as possible. No matter how many turbos and other hi-tech goodies it has, it is still a whiny V6 underneath.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM
meborder
I'll offer an anticdote to think about with regard to replacing your stock exhaust with something made of aluminized pipe.

3 years and 35,000 miles ago I replaced the stock exhaust on my exploder with something more aggressive sounding. Straight through 2-into-1 muffler and a new tail pipe, which was made of aluminized pipe.

Today, i get to choose whether to spend the 200 bucks all over again, or just listen to the horrible "leaky air tank" sound i have coming from under my truck.

If i had it to do all over again, i'da told them to throw the stock exhaust in the back so i could put it back on now. The stock pipes were fine, i just wanted something different.

just something to think about.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, 4" is overkill for the EB.

Read some Testing done on Diesels. Anything over 5" is jsut bling on 90% of the 400 CI+ Diesels. They gain no advantage on the Dyno with larger exhausts.

I'd stay away from ANY exhaust that is not full SS.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:30 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
I'd hardly call the Ecoboost a "whiney V6". IMHO, the 4" exhaust offered for this sounds better than the stock system (which is dead quiet for the most part). I know some people like less noise, but it would be nice to hear a bit of the engine and the turbos spool up.

Just my .02

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Be advised that the Twin Turbo Ecoboost is NEVER going to sound anything like a V8! The guys at Roush Performance have a new exhaust for the Ecoboost...which will be available soon. Roush makes great exhaust systems for V8 engines...but even the wizards at Roush couldn't make the Ecoboost sound great. My Ecoboost exhaust will stay quiet and stock, rather than sound like a teenager's import car.

Roush Ecoboost exhaust

ROUSH 2012 F-150 Eco-Boost Exhaust - YouTube

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
adamsre
Senior User

Originally Posted by ReForder
I'd hardly call the Ecoboost a "whiney V6". IMHO, the 4" exhaust offered for this sounds better than the stock system (which is dead quiet for the most part). I know some people like less noise, but it would be nice to hear a bit of the engine and the turbos spool up.

Just my .02
Exactly! The 4" exhaust has been proven multiple times on the dyno (makes more hp than duals) and ear dyno with the EB. It makes the turbo's whistle, adds mpg and gobs of tq/HP to boot!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

No offense, but I'm not a fan of the Roush sound actually, that sounds like the "import" you described (plus, not even that drone can drown out the most annoying directional sound EVER put in a vehicle). They'll probably charge an arm and a leg for it too.

I know it will never sound like a V8 (had a Bassani on my 04 5.4L XLT and loved it, plus the WICKED pipes on the e39 M5 I just sold), but the Ecoboost should still sound better than it does...or at least make a noise to begin with.

again, my .02

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReForder
No offense, but I'm not a fan of the Roush sound actually, that sounds like the "import" you described (plus, not even that drone can drown out the most annoying directional sound EVER put in a vehicle). They'll probably charge an arm and a leg for it too.

I know it will never sound like a V8 (had a Bassani on my 04 5.4L XLT and loved it, plus the WICKED pipes on the e39 M5 I just sold), but the Ecoboost should still sound better than it does...or at least make a noise to begin with.

again, my .02
No offense taken. Though I'm a big fan of Roush and I'm glad that they are trying something for an exhaust for the Ecoboost, I don't care for the sound of the Roush exhaust either....yes, it does sound like an import...just like all the other aftermarket exhaust kits for the Ecoboost have sounded to me. Which is why I plan to leave my exhaust alone....stock and quiet.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Roush usually uses a chambered muffler not unlike a Rustmaster. At least they did on my buddies 03 Roush truck.
A V6 is a V6 no matter how you dress it up, so it will always sound like one. Loud does not equal fast.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:05 PM
olbear
New User
That sounds for all the world like one of those annoying "ricers".......V8 or nothing.
Never have a "boy's toy to try and do a mans job!"

Old 11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

You guys are funny. You're just upset because you'll be hearing the V6 as we pull away from you and don't like the tone of the exhaust :P

Do I wish the truck sounded like a V8?...hell yeah. Nothing sounds like an 8 with pipes.

Am I second guessing the EB V6 because it's not loud?...hell no.

Would I like my truck to make a noise...period...instead of being pin-drop quiet?....hell yeah.

All a matter of taste. In my mind, the Magnaflow (Heartthrob) exhaust doesn't sound ricer at all. The Roush does. Again...my opinion. And I don't remember anyone saying the louder the exhaust, the faster the vehicle. Just look at Harley Davidsons.....

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM
meborder
I have to admit, i did like the way the roush exhaust let the sound of the turbos spooling up come through.

another concern for me would be the volume of the exhaust note while towing.

I'm afraid to say that i might be getting old .... if what they say is true.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

LOL..no admitting to aging!!

I think the magnaflow 4" let the turbo spool be heard much better (maybe more aimed at performance/turbo breathing) than the Roush (more tuned for sound over performance).

Quick Reply: 4 inch exhaust for ecoboost?