Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Junior User

1tuff250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wonder if "true dual" exhaust would sound good ??? OR would it sound twice as bad !!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Elder User

ReForder is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think a true dual exhaust on this motor would sound bad, imho. V8s sound fantastic with that setup, with a nice little x-pipe in the middle, but not on this motor.

2011 FX4 SCrew with EB - 4" Heartthrob cat-back, Roush boost gauge
1958 Volvo PV444
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM
SPONSOR

Dynomax Exhaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
Solid advice. Aluminzed is fine for dry climates/vehicles that are more pampered ie muscle/sports cars. Look to a SS muffler and/or a SS system. Many companies are now offering lifetime warranties (something we have been doing for years) hold on to that receipt though. Good luck on your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
I'll offer an anticdote to think about with regard to replacing your stock exhaust with something made of aluminized pipe.

3 years and 35,000 miles ago I replaced the stock exhaust on my exploder with something more aggressive sounding. Straight through 2-into-1 muffler and a new tail pipe, which was made of aluminized pipe.

Today, i get to choose whether to spend the 200 bucks all over again, or just listen to the horrible "leaky air tank" sound i have coming from under my truck.

If i had it to do all over again, i'da told them to throw the stock exhaust in the back so i could put it back on now. The stock pipes were fine, i just wanted something different.

just something to think about.

Follow us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/dynomaxexhaust
http://www.dynomax.com
Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Senior User

adamsre is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, what about buying the SS muffler of my choice and getting some SS tubing to replace the resonator. What size exhaust is on the stock ecoboost 2.5" or 3"? Do I purchase t304 or T409?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Exhaust system material thickness should be no less than 16 gauge- double-walled pipe was commonly available through the 1970’s until manufacturers began seeking ways to reduce costs. Many of the “Muffler Chains” who marketed lifetime warranties always used double-walled pipe before “stainless steel” became the “in-crowd”. If a shop had it available, I would choose double-walled aluminized coated steel or 14 gauge stainless steel (depending on environmental conditions or personal tastes) - it is very quiet, solid and in terms of costs, pipe is pretty cheap, depending on length, 16 gauge aluminum coated runs about $11 to $20 wholesale (depending on diameter), stainless about double for the same gauge.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

Conanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud ofConanski has much to be proud of
OMFG!! ... that is the lamest truck sound I have ever heard. Ford got it right guys, the Ecoboost should be seen and not heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreFX4 View Post

1990 5.0HO AOD XLT X-Cab F150 3.55LS, 1994 3.0L 5-sp x-cab Ranger 3.45, 2004 3.0L 5-sp X-cab Ranger Edge 4.10, 2004 2.5L 5-spd Subaru Legacy
1996 Kawasaki ZX11D, 2004 Honda 599, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Elder User

I think the stock exhaust is just under 3" OD, at least it is at the tailpipe.

1958 Volvo PV444
Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 PM
SPONSOR

Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/ranchosuspension https://twitter.com/RanchoShocks http://instagram.com/ranchoshocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsre View Post
Ok, what about buying the SS muffler of my choice and getting some SS tubing to replace the resonator. What size exhaust is on the stock ecoboost 2.5" or 3"? Do I purchase t304 or T409?
T409 is preferred because a bit easier to work with but T304 is good as well. We use a lot of T409 in our systems. Not too sure on the stock size honestly yet, haven't seen or got the info yet. Often people with newer cars tend to care more about their vehicles so go this route. I also know lots who just cut out the stock muffler and throw in the appropriate muffler to open up the system. Keep that receipt close.

Follow us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ranchosuspension
If I missed a PM or conversation, e-mail me support@gorancho.com
Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
New User

VernL is starting off with a positive reputation.
With my Grand National (3.8 turbo V6) with mild to moderate cam and stainless steel 2.5" straight through type muffs its sounds great at idle. Like a nicely cammed small block with some compression. But off idle its just ok because its a V6. On boost however its actually quieter but sounds great because you can also hear the turbo. Having a good blowoff valve(s) that lets you hear the turbo(s) is possibly more important to getting some head turning big grins sound.

You don't need more than a 3" downpipes and 2.5" straight thru type muffs to get to the point of a near zero backpressure or loss system unless you making over an honest 500HP.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM
SPONSOR

Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.Rancho Suspension has a very good reputation on FTE.
https://www.facebook.com/ranchosuspension https://twitter.com/RanchoShocks http://instagram.com/ranchoshocks
Talking

Grand National One of the first cars I drooled over in a garage in my early 20's. The kid was so privildged and so cool to hang out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernL View Post
With my Grand National (3.8 turbo V6) with mild to moderate cam and stainless steel 2.5" straight through type muffs its sounds great at idle. Like a nicely cammed small block with some compression. But off idle its just ok because its a V6. On boost however its actually quieter but sounds great because you can also hear the turbo. Having a good blowoff valve(s) that lets you hear the turbo(s) is possibly more important to getting some head turning big grins sound.

You don't need more than a 3" downpipes and 2.5" straight thru type muffs to get to the point of a near zero backpressure or loss system unless you making over an honest 500HP.

Follow us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ranchosuspension
If I missed a PM or conversation, e-mail me support@gorancho.com
Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Elder User

Let's not forget there are twin turbos on the EB motor, and running a single 2.5" pipe would most likely produce some backpressure. The stock pipe diameter is almost 3", so why go smaller?

1958 Volvo PV444
Old 11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
New User

VernL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Downpipes plural, muffs plural, nobody said anything about routing it together into a single pipe.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Elder User

Indeed Vern...yet nobody said anything about 2.5" on dual pipes either. Still..why go smaller than what's on the truck now?

I think the magnaflow 4" system is fantastic, just not the choice of materials. So if you're making your own, why not mimic that system with better piping of your choice rather than routing true duals, of which most will be custom bends and fabrication?

1958 Volvo PV444
Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Junior User

simenad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonefiddy View Post
FWIW, 4" is overkill for the EB.

Read some Testing done on Diesels. Anything over 5" is jsut bling on 90% of the 400 CI+ Diesels. They gain no advantage on the Dyno with larger exhausts.

I'd stay away from ANY exhaust that is not full SS.
sound is a benefit but 40 hp and 50fl/lbs of torque is a reason. no exhaust system in the world can do that to a naturally aspirated v8. PS it may not sound like a v8, its sounds powerful instead.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Senior User

taxgod4u is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I personally don't like the sound of a piped V6, never did, but do own a egoboost and just love passing the V8 guys like they are missing shifts.

Is there an aftermarket pipe/muffler combo that will release additional power without the additional sound for the EB?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM