Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it you feel youre getting a decent amount of deflectoin. I think sleeving may be the way to go like you say, idk i cant make up my mind. Would like to get it align bored and true everything up for sure, definitely cant do that without boring.

What are you running for an evac system? I put my CDR back on because I started puking oil. On my dads truck we lost all the oil on a 70 mile trip from just the breather tube bein disconected from the CDR, wasnt pinched smashed or anything.

What do you have in mind for custom pistons? You have my ear. I would love a set of forged 18.5:1 slugs with a thick crown, a little lighter never hurts either.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this mean? "torque-plate hone to 150 ft/lbs on the studs". I know what honing is but what is that? Sorry about my ignorance lol.

And I know you mentioned sleaving it down but wouldn't it be alright at the stock bore with sleeves? The reason I ask I because doesn't Mahl still make 19:1 pistons for the 7.3? I'm not sure if they are for the turbo or NA though... But I would think with sleeves and lowered compression with the turbo idi internals that it would handle some boost just as long as you have the right anti-freeze in there to reduce cavitation. On that note, I have heard that there is a certain industrial coolant that prevents cavitation and you don't have to worry about the SCAs. That coolant is used to prevent cavitation in heavy duty rigs iirc. It also lasts like 500k miles to boot.

Also with all the mods you meantioned, are you going to cryo treat everything too for safe measure? That would help strengthen the botton end too. I mean Justin did it and even Heath Diesel did it when they built that 500hp 6.5 Chevy diesel, so there must be quite a bit of strength added...

Old 01-21-2012, 03:41 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
And Yes, in the future (After I get a few things done here) Im going to send my pump back to Ken to give it a check up, and possibly see If I can get a few cc's more out if it.
Have you talked to Ken about it at all? If so how much does he think he can get out of it? I mean I think he could get at least 120cc out it. Forgive the comparison but I have read that 120cc is possible out of a Super Moose but it does sacrifice reliability. On top of that a turbo pump is a lot better of a pump and I would think you might be able to get that much out of it more reliably than an hopped up NA pump. Ken does some amazing stuff. Even at roughly 120cc the 2.61hp you made per cc of fuel would equal 313hp with a 120cc pump.

Also, have you ever considered water/ methanol or propane? Those are both methods of adding additional fuel too...

Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I take it you feel youre getting a decent amount of deflectoin. I think sleeving may be the way to go like you say, idk i cant make up my mind. Would like to get it align bored and true everything up for sure, definitely cant do that without boring.

What are you running for an evac system? I put my CDR back on because I started puking oil. On my dads truck we lost all the oil on a 70 mile trip from just the breather tube bein disconected from the CDR, wasnt pinched smashed or anything.

What do you have in mind for custom pistons? You have my ear. I would love a set of forged 18.5:1 slugs with a thick crown, a little lighter never hurts either.
Yeah, Im sure I have some deflection, 7.3 bores are notoriously thin, and the my clamping force is huge... My Evac system consists of 2 VC breathers, hosed to a homemade canister that sits up above the engine against the firewall, its filled halfway with steel wool, and then its hosed to my inlet tube upstream of the turbo... I get substantial vacuum even at idle. Its very well possible that my bores are sealed up just fine, and that I just have a bad rear main and did a *****ty job of sealing the top end, but I think the former is the real problem, because the real main didnt leak a drop before I put the engine in the truck and ran it.

As far as pistons go, Mahle, Arias, and Ross do custom diesel pistons... Im sure they are $$$ but Im in no hurry... I dont expect this build to be done anytime soon.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
What does this mean? "torque-plate hone to 150 ft/lbs on the studs". I know what honing is but what is that? Sorry about my ignorance lol.

And I know you mentioned sleaving it down but wouldn't it be alright at the stock bore with sleeves? The reason I ask I because doesn't Mahle still make 19:1 pistons for the 7.3? I'm not sure if they are for the turbo or NA though... But I would think with sleeves and lowered compression with the turbo idi internals that it would handle some boost just as long as you have the right anti-freeze in there to reduce cavitation. On that note, I have heard that there is a certain industrial coolant that prevents cavitation and you don't have to worry about the SCAs. That coolant is used to prevent cavitation in heavy duty rigs iirc. It also lasts like 500k miles to boot.

Also with all the mods you meantioned, are you going to cryo treat everything too for safe measure? That would help strengthen the botton end too. I mean Justin did it and even Heath Diesel did it when they built that 500hp 6.5 Chevy diesel, so there must be quite a bit of strength added...

Torque plate honing is when you stud a thick piece of metal on the deck surface prior to honing at the torque you will be running your studs, it simulates the clamping force of the heads and that way you get a perfectly round cylinder when your engine is together and running. Its a must for a high performance build with heavy clamping loads.

As far as the Mahle 19:1 pistons go, Im not even going to bother with cast pistons, Im going to get custom forged units, provided Mahle, Arias, or Ross can build me a set...

As far as cryo treating... No, Im not going to do any of that...

Any link to that 500hp chevy 6.5?? Ive never heard of it...

Have you talked to Ken about it at all? If so how much does he think he can get out of it? I mean I think he could get at least 120cc out it. Forgive the comparison but I have read that 120cc is possible out of a Super Moose but it does sacrifice reliability. On top of that a turbo pump is a lot better of a pump and I would think you might be able to get that much out of it more reliably than an hopped up NA pump. Ken does some amazing stuff. Even at roughly 120cc the 2.61hp you made per cc of fuel would equal 313hp with a 120cc pump.

Also, have you ever considered water/ methanol or propane? Those are both methods of adding additional fuel too...
I havent talked to Ken at all about it, but Im sure it can be done, its just a matter of how reliable will it be?? IIRC, the pump Ken had on his HP IDI was a 120cc DB2, and not very streetable... There is a reason why we are all interested in the DB4, because its internal passages are better for pump large amounts of fuel... However, I think there might be enough room for 33 plungers (Turbo Cal is 31), and that just may be able to bump the CC's up a bit, its just a matter on whether or not the head will flow that amount of fuel. I think the Super Moose is a Pipe dream, Its the unicorn of Moose pumps... If one did exist, there would be at least one OBN'r running one, and there isnt.

Well see what Ken says when I talk to him... Hell, I have a couple of spare pumps, maybe I can figure something out on my own, these things arent rocket science, the only thing I am missing is a pump dyno, and Im sure there is a diesel shop around here with one of those I could toss it up on.

As far as water/meth goes... That was originally the plan, but so far I havent seen my pyro hit above 950*, so its not really a need yet... Might be when I throw some more fuel at it, well see.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info on torque honing. The 6.5 build was actually in Diesel Power a few years ago. And I also saw an even better write up somewhere else too. Do a search on it and I think you might be able to find the write up I was talking about. I think it was in another magazine. I would find it for you but my computer is all messed up and I'm on my phone. I do know that Heath Diesel did use both 6.2 and 6.5 parts and cryo treated everything. He also had true twins on it pushing 30psi. I'm not sure what injection pumps he used. I should look it up again too.

I also look forward to seeing what Ken can do with your pump. It'll be interesting. As for the w/m, I was meaning using it more for the additional fuel rather than cooling. It helps spool turbos a lot quicker too

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
That 6.5, i wonder if that was the one with twin db2's on it. I know a few did exist. Im not totally sold on cryo either, some swear heat, some say cryo, some say neither. The only "real worry" would be wrist pins, and they are already hardened. With a good set of shot-peened rods, some forged piston and c-rings would make 40psi and 1600 egts a dream.

Not sure if i even want to know what a custom set of pistons would run lol... Got a ballpark figure? the number i am thinking of is kinda scary.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:45 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I think you might be right. I think it did have twin Db4s. I do know that it did have an aftermarket Scat crank. Those are heavyduty cranks for those engines. Either way 500hp is impressive from those from a 6.5.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
typefour
Laughing Gas
I think Russ had some mods done to his pump but I'm not quite sure. Iirc its somewhere in the neighborhood of like 78ccs. Don't quote me on that though.
My pump is an na stocker rebuilt 6 yrs ago and they set it to turbo fuel specs+ 10% that is what I had them all done to when doing customers engines, the only thing I have done is turn the allen screw wide open. No other mods honest . I keep telling people i have a good pump builder..

Now the one they are working on now will be a little different.gonna change leaf spring and do a mod ken shared with me, but no bigger plungers.

I am having it not defuel till at least 3800
And my injectors are old rebuilt ecodes. Which I had forgotten, I had new g codes in it originally and they suck.

AND FOR THE RECORD I WAS JUST AS SURPRISED AT WHAT IT MADE FOR NUMBERS.
I litterally built that truck and loaded it to 16k with camper and wifes jeep and went to wisconsin with it, i have excellent ring seal. it uses no oil in 4k.
Havent even played with timing, its 9@2k
Now I did spend lots of time on the heads but nothing special.got pics somewhere.

That torque cam works,also the big comp wheel and wrapped crossover and big ic must have guessed a good combo.
and I was only making 13 psi on the dyno and I have seen 17 towing , but I attribute that to the cold night.

Racin, I know you are shocked by your lack of power, but I think if we would have had more time and tuning on your truck you would be surprised, My buddy Dan is a pretty sharp cookie .

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
My bad Russ. I thought you were running more fuel. What will your pump push after it has been worked over? And are you going to hone out the injectors at all?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
typefour
Laughing Gas
My bad Russ. I thought you were running more fuel. What will your pump push after it has been worked over? And are you going to hone out the injectors at all?
Havent got that far yet, probably wil put in bb codes in before I change pumps, Im going to see a buddy of mine and see if he still has his dyno in vancouver.
then change pump depending on results, but nothing is happening till I can lean over my truck, this back thing sucks

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Got ya. Well I hope you can get it done soon. And I look forward to the results.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I looked up the 6.5, it actually uses a Ds4 pump with Heath Diesel tuning. I didn't even realize there was that much power to be had in those IPs unless they did more than tuning and worked over the pump too...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Well thay are 4 plunger pumps, so Im sure there is power to be had there, and the integration of electronics has to be a benefit... Doesnt suprise me... Too bad its got a totally different setup to ours...

Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Ya I knew it had four plungers but I didn't realize that you could go that high with tuning. I guess what I mean is that I thought they were limited even though they had a computer to tune unless the internals were changed. But either way that is cool. Another idea I had a while back that is suggested to Justin was to use the same type of gear and whatever else was need to run a Db4 on our engine but use it with the Ds4. Would this work at all? It would be cool if it did cus it would allow for multiple programs if needed. Also the one thing that goes wrong with them on Chevys is the PMD so those would have to be moved. It would be pretty cool to see an electronic computer on an idi too.

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build