Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here are some pictures of the engine...

I got the SAE bellhousing off, and mocked up the IDI adapter plate. (The Picture is a little off, I was trying to get a picture with one hand while holding the adapter plate with the other and not be in the way, close enough for example purposes). I will have to modify the block and cut the mounting bosses off the passenger side, that is if the stock starter will clear as is, if not, I will have to build my own adapter and modify the bellhousing to raise the starter (Was contemplating doing that anyway)...

I also took some measurements, and I was going to have to run a 2" body lift, and move the drivetrain back 4". My friend suggested that instead of a body lift, I just drop the drivetrain 2", and being that I am going to build a new crossmember for the engine anyway, that sounded like the easiest by far, so that is what I am going to do. Also, its going to help with driveshaft angle vs. Traction bars when I move the stuff back, so its a win-win.

The Oil cooler assembly will be deleted, and I will mount a remote cooler/filter setup for a cleaner install.

I am going to delete the water pump and run some sort of universal electric one, as well as cut the cast in pulleys off the balancer, and fab a serpentine pulley for the Alt and power steering, that way it will save me about 4" off the front of the engine.

I will probably still have to source a new radiator and mount it forward, but I will find that out when I get things in place. Id like to have room for a couple electric puller fans.

Anyway, more soon.

Name:  DSC01563_zps5f87a783.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  DSC01564_zpsb7c88526.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  59.0 KB
Name:  DSC01565_zps00954420.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  DSC01566_zps1f3c0825.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  62.6 KB

Old 01-30-2015, 07:58 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kla94
Oh yeah. If you have trouble sourcing one, just let me know. I think that I can get it real reasonable. If it comes to that.

Thanks man.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:11 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Thanks man.
No problem. Just happy to help if I can. I'm hoping to start getting some parts together for my truck. Hopefully I'll be in touch within a couple of months.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:50 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin, sorry if its already been gone over but. How far are you going into the 6.6 as far as bottom end? I mean, is the bottom end already pretty stout or what? How's the compression ratio, head bolt pattern/size, main fasteners, rods? Im sure its a pretty stout engine or you wouldn't be messing with it. But anyways, rock on man lookin good.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Justin, sorry if its already been gone over but. How far are you going into the 6.6 as far as bottom end? I mean, is the bottom end already pretty stout or what? How's the compression ratio, head bolt pattern/size, main fasteners, rods? Im sure its a pretty stout engine or you wouldn't be messing with it. But anyways, rock on man lookin good.

All I am going to do is Head Stud it. The head fasteners are 9/16" and there are 6 of them per cylinder, so I am going to run the studs right up to about 200ft/lbs, and I don't foresee any gasket issues. The compression is 16.5:1 stock. The rest of the engine is built like a tank, everything is huge, the wrist pins, the rods, 7 main bearings. This engine has 70k on a rebuild, so Im not too worried about the shape of the parts. I am thinking about picking up a set of NOS injectors up off of ebay and pinning them to see what size the nozzles are, I might have the EDM shop open them up. The turbo is either going to be a 60/68/.91 In anticipation for compounds, or a 63/68/.88... I haven't totally decided yet, but the goal for this first setup is around 400whp and 800-900wtq...
Slide the fuel plate forward, install a set of 4k or 5k gov springs, and see what I can do.

Im really itching to see what its going to sound like in person, I heard an F700 going down the road not too long ago, and they sound like a Semi, so I am pretty stoked about that.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the results on all your builds. I done some checking today on a Bronco fuel tank and some straps. Looks like I can get a 33 gallon tank and the straps for around 160$ all new. Just not sure what to do about a pickup. I would like to keep the carrier pump.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 AM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Nice man, sounds like a promising set up. Judging by that, looks like it might be the 12v Cummins of the Ford world, its too damn bad they are getting sort of hard to find...its funny it seems like every build Anderson does, I end up wanting to do myself. Now I have the 6.6 itch and it aint even built yet lol

kla94, are you putting a Bronco tank in your truck? If so, youll like it. I did it on my 86 and I love it. Only downfall is how low it dips down compared to the old tank. Not a big deal though

Old 02-01-2015, 07:16 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
kla94, are you putting a Bronco tank in your truck? If so, youll like it. I did it on my 86 and I love it. Only downfall is how low it dips down compared to the old tank. Not a big deal though[/QUOTE]

That's part of what I want to do. I have never understood the point of having two tanks and only getting 30 gallons of fuel. Fuel selector valve and all the stuff. Anyways, I'll message you. Don't want to jack Justin's thread up.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:55 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kla94
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see the results on all your builds. I done some checking today on a Bronco fuel tank and some straps. Looks like I can get a 33 gallon tank and the straps for around 160$ all new. Just not sure what to do about a pickup. I would like to keep the carrier pump.

The Tank will work fine, but you'll have to do some finagling with the straps and crossmembers. Im too impatient to deal with garbage, so I just built new ones.

As far as the pickup goes, I just bought my new bronco one off RockAuto, plumbed in a new return, and put a hose on the pickup in the tank. Works great, and you get a new sender out of the deal.

Lets you retain the carrier pump.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Nice man, sounds like a promising set up. Judging by that, looks like it might be the 12v Cummins of the Ford world, its too damn bad they are getting sort of hard to find...its funny it seems like every build Anderson does, I end up wanting to do myself. Now I have the 6.6 itch and it aint even built yet lol....

Not quite, I was hoping it might be, but the cummins is literally the shoe fit replacement of the Ford world, so be it, im not putting this in cause I gave up, only because I got a good deal, and I love underdog diesels. This thing is more along the lines of the DT360 or even the DT466, but personally, I don't give a rip about IH, and I think this engine is a better platform. That being said, they are still going for $3000+ on the open market, so what does that say about their desirability? Im just doing this because I want a ford diesel in a ford truck, and besides swapping in a 6.7, this is really my only option. Its not practical for the average guy, only go after it if you want something different....

That being said, if "different" is a custom crossmember and driveshaft away, it opens possibilities.... Just another pathway right? We'll see...

Still plenty to discover on this IDI front...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
The Tank will work fine, but you'll have to do some finagling with the straps and crossmembers. Im too impatient to deal with garbage, so I just built new ones.

As far as the pickup goes, I just bought my new bronco one off RockAuto, plumbed in a new return, and put a hose on the pickup in the tank. Works great, and you get a new sender out of the deal.

Lets you retain the carrier pump.
Thanks for the info man. I'll mess with the straps since I don't have any metal fan skills at all. The tank is still a little while away. Getting to the point of needing a clutch pretty bad. Also wanting some R&D parts!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Y'all are aware there is an oil cooler that does not extend up towards the head as far as the typical oil coolers ... Thus allowing room to build symmetrical header logs!

You'll need the Cooler, Motor mount bracket and motor mount.

I believe they are from Ambulances.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
Y'all are aware there is an oil cooler that does not extend up towards the head as far as the typical oil coolers ... Thus allowing room to build symmetrical header logs!

You'll need the Cooler, Motor mount bracket and motor mount.

I believe they are from Ambulances.

Those are the Van coolers, and while they are a little more low profile, I don't think it is low enough.

As "un-cool" as these logs are, they are doing the job just fine, there is no issue with flow so far.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM
JosieGallows
Freshman User
So I see you are moving over to a DI now? I kinda figured that would happen.

Anyways, I got rid of the F-250 and bought a F-450 (F-Superduty) with a 460 gas cheap for a DT466 or 7.3 Powerstroke swap. I bought a 7.3 motor already for $350 at LKQ.

I could get the 466 out of this retired CCC garbage truck for $500, It supposedly runs, can't start it because the keys are missing and you know how salvage yard owners are.

the PSD I bought, 252,000 miles. 1997

And here is the F-450 and it was also a retired city truck that I bought at auction for $1500.

The point is we need to stop fighting and work together so we can build better engines and better trucks.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JosieGallows
So I see you are moving over to a DI now? I kinda figured that would happen.

Anyways, I got rid of the F-250 and bought a F-450 (F-Superduty) with a 460 gas cheap for a DT466 or 7.3 Powerstroke swap. I bought a 7.3 motor already for $350 at LKQ.

I could get the 466 out of this retired CCC garbage truck for $500, It supposedly runs, can't start it because the keys are missing and you know how salvage yard owners are.

the PSD I bought, 252,000 miles. 1997

And here is the F-450 and it was also a retired city truck that I bought at auction for $1500.

The point is we need to stop fighting and work together so we can build better engines and better trucks.

To sum your whole post up.... No.

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build