Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:18 PM
idahoFORD350
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...those are some ...pretty impressive numbers lol. Thanks for sharing that pretty much illustrates the ballpark for what I am shooting for (200-220 rwhp and around 500 rwtq)

Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM
obsguy
New User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Im going to go 625's in the 6.9, and give it hell. If that doesn't hold, I have a special little plan for my IDIT...

Just curious but I thought you were having customs studs made at the machine shop that you were thinking would be stronger did that not happen?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by obsguy
Just curious but I thought you were having customs studs made at the machine shop that you were thinking would be stronger did that not happen?
Yeah, the fastener issue was a whole debacle...

I first started out by going after building H13 head studs through a friend with a CNC shop, and it just turned out that he didn't have the capability to do it successfully.

Then I did some testing on my spare 6.9 block with a 1/2" helicoil, 9/16" stud at 7.3 depth, and various different setups, and decided I was going to check with ARP to see what it would cost for their +625 custom studs in a 6.9 configuration... The tech on the phone told me with about 10 or so orders, the price should be pretty palatable, so I got a quote.... 2 weeks later I got an answer of $1200 for a set of 7/16" studs.... That was a no go even for me... I then approached Extreme studs, and he was prompt and courteous. Came back with $700+ dollars for a set of tool steel studs if ordered at quantity... The issue was that most IDI guys just aren't into spending that much for head fasteners, so even though I would have probably pulled the trigger, it was a no-go from the beginning.

That sent me back to the R&D test bench to try and make things work with what we have. I drilled and tapped the block for a 1/2" stud (knowing that there was a thread interference of about .015", and low & behold, the 1/2" stud actually held to fastener yield, the threads weren't an issue even with interference.

I then decided I was going to try the 9/16" fastener again, but only keep the depth the same as the 6.9 stud, and it turned out to hold over 250ft/lbs of torque... I also found that ARP carries both a 1/2" and 9/16" stud in the proper length to work on a 6.9 block at 6.9 depth.

So I made the decision to drill and tap the head fasteners to 9/16" on my block, as well as O-ring it with stainless wire and victor head gaskets.... In the process im developing a kit to drill 6.9 blocks to 1/2" or 9/16" fasteners. Which pretty much will turn the 6.9 block into the toughest IDI block for building an engine, as long as your willing to put in a little elbow grease...

Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Whoa, this opens a whole new door to the IDI builds. If a person is willing to invest, this would be a WHOLE different platform. Besides you of course!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Beyond that, my current iteration of my engine is going to end up like this:

-My 6.9 shortblock (IDIT rods, Coated Mahle pistons, Studded/girdled mains, total seal rings)
-6.9 Heads w/7.3 precups (brand new NOS pieces), ceramic coated decks and chambers, .030 shimmed 910's, 3 angle valve job, Possible Port work (Depends on if I have down time waiting on parts).
-Smith bro's chromoly pushrods
-R&D prototype stage 2 cam (Similar to the J2, but with a little less lift, and slightly adjusted specs)
-My current RD4-190 modded to lock the timing, HPCA deleted, 20psi inlet pressure
-My stroked G-codes with pintle/nozzle mods, and 1700lb pop pressure
-Custom intake manifold with the "pinch points" removed
-BW S475 blowing into an Eaton M112 supercharger, compounding to 40psi and bypassing until the turbo takes over... Turbo regulated with an external WG. Should have 10psi off idle, and 40psi by 2000RPM, continuing til redline, all while maintaining 60%+ induction efficiency, and only about a 30hp loss by the SC.

Hoping to make it to a fuel limited 500whp/1000wtq (Hence the low pop, trying to utilize every drop of fuel the pump can put out) with water meth, and instant response.

Might be a lofty goal, but we wont know until its together and at least holding what I can throw at it.

I am ordering the S475 tomorrow, I already have my S366 sold. The M112 is coming my way from NMB2 in 2 weeks or so. I will probably yank the engine this coming week or weekend and get started on the Studs and O-ring job, as well as getting the heads back to the shop to be shaved with the precups (Might turn the pre-cups down myself first, Ill have to test one out on my lathe).

Updates with start flying here in a couple days...

Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kla94
Whoa, this opens a whole new door to the IDI builds. If a person is willing to invest, this would be a WHOLE different platform. Besides you of course!
Yeah Kevin, I think im probably crazy for putting this much into this platform, but there are two things that drive me... Number one, Im too damn stubborn, and I wont accept No/failure until its inevitable... Whether its me being stupid or not is yet to be determined, we will find out either way... Number two, every single time I hear some other diesel guy, or some kid in his early 20's driving dad's 2006 cummins around claiming 650hp and laughing at an IDI that he could never build, even at 300hp, it adds to my will to make this damn engine do something great and repeatable... Its like the "Planet of Evil" in "The Fifth Element" movie... Every time you shoot some garbage at me, I just grow stronger, and Im not the type you want getting stronger, because one day I will defeat you or your notion... You would be better off just ignoring me...

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
500who/1000wtq!!! Hope you can keep clutches and driveshafts in her!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Yeah Kevin, I think im probably crazy for putting this much into this platform, but there are two things that drive me... Number one, Im too damn stubborn, and I wont accept No/failure until its inevitable... Whether its me being stupid or not is yet to be determined, we will find out either way... Number two, every single time I hear some other diesel guy, or some kid in his early 20's driving dad's 2006 cummins around claiming 650hp and laughing at an IDI that he could never build, even at 300hp, it adds to my will to make this damn engine do something great and repeatable... Its like the "Planet of Evil" in "The Fifth Element" movie... Every time you shoot some garbage at me, I just grow stronger, and Im not the type you want getting stronger, because one day I will defeat you or your notion... You would be better off just ignoring me...
NO WAY MAN! I love this! I would rather drive an IDI than deal with computer crap. Just keep it up Justin. I still want the parts we talked about, just too much going on right now.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
500who/1000wtq!!! Hope you can keep clutches and driveshafts in her!
The clutch is still in the air... Don't know what im doing yet...

I might sell my DNE2 and driveshaft just so I don't take the chance of destroying the OD, at least if I destroy the ZF5, I can replace it easily.

That's the new goal anyway.... we'll see of the 9/16" studs and Orings can handle the low end boost of the Twin-Charged setup.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Might be kind of a dumb question, but would there be any chance of getting more fuel from the RD4? Might have been covered sometime that I haven't seen.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Might be kind of a dumb question, but would there be any chance of getting more fuel from the RD4? Might have been covered sometime that I haven't seen.
Its possible.... Im looking for 30cc at the top end between deleting the HPCA and inlet pressure bump.... Im going to see about DB4 leaf springs as well, I don't know what is out there in terms of oversized springs...

Old 07-06-2014, 11:37 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahaha... love that movie guy. Im stoked to see it happen, thats alot of pressure / power in what some would say the danger zone, but i also have faith (possibly read stupidity) in the old boat anchor. Im stoked about the 6.9 stuff, as we talked about the fastener deal obviously... just too damn hard to find an IDIT. I know where i can find 4 6.9s for probably $200 each... hell i could probably get the one for free.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Sweet. Now things are getting exciting. Cummins power with that V8 sound.

Some times it takes the crazy ones to get things moving. Cheers R&D.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Justin what made you decide to do the Eaton M112 over a set of compounds out of curiosity? I should finally have some money soon for my SC setup after I spent all that I had saved on my 6.0 when it blew a gasket. Anyway, what are you going to use to bypass the air when the turbo takes over on the top end? A wastegate or something else? I have thought about doing mine that way but I figured I would try just compounding first and then go from there. I do know that Eatons make a lot of heat, especially when being compounded like that, so I do plan on a two stage intercooler setup as well as the water/methanol setup as well to keep it running cool. If I can't control the heat that way I will probably have to end up doing the bypass like you are planning. Plus with a bypass setup you have the added benefit of less parasitic loss up top. I just want to try it the other way first to experiment I guess. Lol. Anyway, I can't wait to see it when it is all done. I'm sure it will be amazing!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Oh one more thing, are you worried about the bottom end at all by having that much boost down low? I have been somewhat hopeful that the added stress that early wouldn't blow mine up. Having boost that early is just new territory especially in the idi platform and I am curious what your opinion is on this?

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build