Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by idiabuse
No pictures of the blown head gasket? bummer
Sorry, forgot about you Javier...

Havent got the engine out of the truck yet... Waiting to do mock up of the 366 for the Atmosphere turbo, and then it will come out, and get ripped down to the short block.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I missed something, why is it getting tore down to the short block? I thought just the heads were coming off for fire rings

Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Muddy74Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
This manifold design is a compromise to be able to supply a bolt on kit, you cant run the pipes straight back without moving the engine/trans forward. I tried many different configurations on both sides to not hinder flow, but there was packaging issues. To answer your question, do I think there will be issues with flow and pulses conflicting?.. Flow no, the ID of the big tubes on the manifold are 2-1/16", That's as big as the exit of the Y on the 093, and both banks have to go through that and the radius on the back cylinder is still generous enough that I doubt you would see any issues on a flow bench.... Pulses, I don't think so, because any manifold is going to have pulse issues, if anything, I think the pulses are going to be fairly even at the exit of the manifold due to the "plenum" area being uniform. The only way to make a perfect manifold, and do it relatively affordably, is to make it out cast iron, then the transitions and radiuses can all vary to make it packagable... However, That is not in the cards of 99.99% of IDI guys, and my goal with this kit is to make it as affordable as possible, That means less cutting, less welding, less fitting, and as easy as possible to build, while making it perform far better than any of the kits ever available for the IDI.
Makes perfect sense... Until I took a good look at the Firewall and engine bay of the 80s rigs did I notice how tight that was in there... I never honestly noticed 'till now, most of my IDI experience has been swapping into the 70s Fords or just Maintenance of old Work Trucks we had through our Construction Outfit or for Friends, so I never much took notice of that.

Honestly I don't see that as much of a problem, and after looking at that other "Boost" system on OB (I'll negate using names because I don't wish to start some Flame War Post) I see your system as being a much better approach to a tried and true bolt-on system.

Can't wait to see how this turns out... I'll take it you're going to be running some number on all of this?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Sorry if I missed something, why is it getting tore down to the short block? I thought just the heads were coming off for fire rings
Same thing ... Taking everything down to the shortblock, meaning everything above the short block is coming off.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Muddy74Ford

Can't wait to see how this turns out... I'll take it you're going to be running some number on all of this?
What number?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Muddy74Ford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What number?
Sorry, Numbers* (That's what I get for responding on my phone...) I'm assuming you're running this setup and possibly posting dyno numbers? or are you going to do a Road Trial only?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Oh Dyno numbers are a must, probably on two separate dyno's like last time.

Going to burn every drop of fuel this thing can put out...

Old 05-08-2014, 01:48 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
That's the plan... I am going to modify my G's even further, and run those. I think with the extra .050" of stroke and the Opened up nozzle, it will make the pump quite a bit happier. I love how clean my truck runs with the stroked 2500 pops, but anything I can to help get the fuel to the pre-cup at this point, I am going to try, even if it means a bit more smoke.
Nice. I look forward to the update on those!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Sorry, forgot about you Javier...

Havent got the engine out of the truck yet... Waiting to do mock up of the 366 for the Atmosphere turbo, and then it will come out, and get ripped down to the short block.
Atmosphere turbo? Are you planning compounds?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
Atmosphere turbo? Are you planning compounds?
Yes..... HX35/S366... If the 366 isn't enough, Ill step up to an S471...

After running the 366 as a single, and knowing I need a turbo this size to get to my goal, its making more sense to me to throw a little turbo in between to maintain the low end characteristics of an IDI. Due to the nature of our pumps, we don't make power up high, and to make power up high, you need timing... Our trucks normally like conservative timing because the fuel curves lend themselves to that sort of powerband. I am going for something totally different now... A huge area under the curve powerband up to 4000K, locked out timing in the pump, and a large turbo to provide the airflow to do it on this displacement. Being that we don't have computer controlled 2d timing like a powerstroke (which can get away with running a 366 as a single and spool it just fine in a street truck), we have to treat our engines like a 12v, and if you haven't noticed, just about any 12v over 500hp has compounds...For the same reason, to maintain low end torque, with top end airflow. Im a little scared that the HX35 is going to boost too soon and damage some parts, but I am going to try and tune that out as best I can with the internal wastegate (Hogged out) on the HX and an external on the intermediate pipe before the 366. My goal is to have a solid 40psi boost at 2000RPM, and about 20psi at 1800.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:12 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Yes..... HX35/S366... If the 366 isn't enough, Ill step up to an S471...

After running the 366 as a single, and knowing I need a turbo this size to get to my goal, its making more sense to me to throw a little turbo in between to maintain the low end characteristics of an IDI. Due to the nature of our pumps, we don't make power up high, and to make power up high, you need timing... Our trucks normally like conservative timing because the fuel curves lend themselves to that sort of powerband. I am going for something totally different now... A huge area under the curve powerband up to 4000K, locked out timing in the pump, and a large turbo to provide the airflow to do it on this displacement. Being that we don't have computer controlled 2d timing like a powerstroke (which can get away with running a 366 as a single and spool it just fine in a street truck), we have to treat our engines like a 12v, and if you haven't noticed, just about any 12v over 500hp has compounds...For the same reason, to maintain low end torque, with top end airflow. Im a little scared that the HX35 is going to boost too soon and damage some parts, but I am going to try and tune that out as best I can with the internal wastegate (Hogged out) on the HX and an external on the intermediate pipe before the 366. My goal is to have a solid 40psi boost at 2000RPM, and about 20psi at 1800.
I have actually recommended a setup similar to what you are building to a few people. Its cool to see you are doing it so others can see how it will perform. Like you said about the 12v Cummins, the compounds help achieve a broader power curve. This especially holds true with the VE pumped Cummins cus like us they have all of their fueling down low cus of the rotary style pump. Its just the nature of these types of pumps. The most powerful VE pumped Cummins are usually compounded like you said. Where are you gonna place the second turbo? On the passenger side and move the batteries?

Also as for the Hx35, could you make a 16cm housing from an Hx40 work on it? This might help prevent to early of spool up and then you could wastegate it to prevent too high of boost.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:26 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
I have actually recommended a setup similar to what you are building to a few people. Its cool to see you are doing it so others can see how it will perform. Like you said about the 12v Cummins, the compounds help achieve a broader power curve. This especially holds true with the VE pumped Cummins cus like us they have all of their fueling down low cus of the rotary style pump. Its just the nature of these types of pumps. The most powerful VE pumped Cummins are usually compounded like you said. Where are you gonna place the second turbo? On the passenger side and move the batteries?

Also as for the Hx35, could you make a 16cm housing from an Hx40 work on it? This might help prevent to early of spool up and then you could wastegate it to prevent too high of boost.
Im going to move the batteries down on the frame rail on the inner passenger side, and I still have my 4" full exhaust that I ran outside the frame rail on the old setup. The 366 will sit where my 362 used to, and Im going to build a support bracket off the head. Im going to move my GPC over to the drivers side VC, and probably redo my harness, and the intermediate pipe will go over the passenger side VC. Everything
is getting painted monochrome Red/Black.

As for the exhaust housing, Im going to stick with the 12cm, I am going to hog the center back, and open the WG hole as much as possible with a bigger puck. Im pretty sure I can tune it by adjusting the wastegate to dump more fuel earlier, and its not being wasted, because it will just drive the 366... Id rather have the smaller housing for broad tuning capability.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So basically what im doing, but with a s366 instead of a 72/102/26cm T6

Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
you got a build thread up yet hairy?? Sounds interesting.

Racin, running that much boost, do you think your SD IC will still suffice? I know alot of powerstroke guys go to an aftermarket IC. They are pretty damn expensive from what I have seen

Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
you got a build thread up yet hairy?? Sounds interesting.

Racin, running that much boost, do you think your SD IC will still suffice? I know alot of powerstroke guys go to an aftermarket IC. They are pretty damn expensive from what I have seen
Been kicking it around, I think a higher flow unit would definitely add a bit of airflow...

I think the best part about all of this, is now we are looking at airflow mods, when airflow was never ever an issue, LOL... That's not to say we have fuel taken care of, but its a significant step!

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build